If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #9,226 of 19,253
  I lost my ER4S recently on a trip and will be looking to replace them with a new Ety.

Looking at the new ER4SR it seem they are a dark grey finish?  Are there any plans to offer other colors such as black or silver?

If not, I would probably get the ER4PT since I prefer the subdue look of the matte black.

Cheers!

The sound of ER4SR is just superior to the ER4S, and the new metal casing also looks so sexy, i strongly recommend to get the ER4SR instead, in term of sound ER4S just couldn't match the new SR
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #9,227 of 19,253
Then the ER-4SR is an improvement on SQ over the old ER-4S? is that a consensus here? I've read these changes on this model are more focused on cosmetics and the new detachable connectors though in terms of sound are something about 95% the same. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #9,228 of 19,253
  Then the ER-4SR is an improvement on SQ over the old ER-4S? is that a consensus here? I've read these changes on this model are more focused on cosmetics and the new detachable connectors though in terms of sound are something about 95% the same. 

In term of measurements, the difference may be subtle, but IMO the biggest improvement for SR over S is the textures of the sound, SR is much more refine, with massive micro-details when pair with a good DAC, while the old "S" model sounds like a robot, not as organic as the SR
etysmile.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #9,229 of 19,253

short answer: no.
the sound is closer to the er4s than to pretty much any other IEM. if you want warmer try the XR.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd love to get the XR......Available on the Ety site for the listed price, but they want to charge me $57.32 USD to send it here, wait 3 weeks for delivery and then I have to bend over again for customs duties and local taxes on top of that!!

Around $556 NZD just to get it here......then tax and duty 
mad.gif

*sigh*.....I think I might just upgrade my source to the X3 2nd Gen and spend the extra $$ on new software.

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #9,230 of 19,253

In term of measurements, the difference may be subtle, but IMO the biggest improvement for SR over S is the textures of the sound, SR is much more refine, with massive micro-details when pair with a good DAC, while the old "S" model sounds like a robot, not as organic as the SR
etysmile.gif

Cool! Btw I have misunderstood an old post which was talking about these differences, then I'm anxious to test them now, thank you.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #9,231 of 19,253
Yeah, over the ear would solve 99% of my issues with the XR. In this price range, it seems like everyone has switched to over the ear except for Ety. 

I completely agree 100% I have these in my ears about 8 to 10 hours a day for the past three weeks I absolutely love the sound of my SR but the microphonic's suck ass  would love an over the ear design on the cable as well.

Do people find it difficult to wear the ER4SR/XR over the ear? Does the cable fall off the ear, or is it unstable somehow? For me, the cable routes over the ear as easily as any other iem, and stays put extremely reliably. If I put up the chin slider as well, I get what I'd call pretty close to zero microphonics.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #9,233 of 19,253
hi guys, just want to check if anyone had decent results with replacement cables got off ebay? How do we determine the impedance? My original cable finally gave way after 3 years, and to send it back to Ety will cost more than 1/2 the buying price.......

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #9,234 of 19,253
I would be very interested if anybody could do a direct comparison of the new ER-4 series vs the 2nd gen q-Jays! 
etysmile.gif

The latter's price has steeply dropped recently and could definitely be a good competitor (I used to own the original q-Jays and enjoyed them a lot).

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #9,235 of 19,253

Have been using the SR exclusively for over a month now and it has practically sidelined all of my IEMs. This is my subjective opinion, but A/B'ing against my old S, detail retrieval seems largely similar although the highs seems a little more crisp on the SR. The most noticeable difference to my ears is that the bass is more apparent on the SR. I don't feel that it has more bass quantity over the S, but rather it is more defined and tighter. What I love most about the ER4 though, is that despite being so revealing and analytical, it never ever gets sibilant, an issue plaguing so many IEMs i've tried costing many times over. With the ER4, you really couldn't ask for more in an IEM

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #9,236 of 19,253

I believe that is the general consensus, yes. I don't think anyone here has thought the er4s was better than the er4sr. Some may find them similar with slight differences in sound, but generally i think people find the sr treble more revealing and the bass more disinct from what I've been reading.

Yeah, over the ear would solve 99% of my issues with the XR. In this price range, it seems like everyone has switched to over the ear except for Ety. 

I completely agree 100% I have these in my ears about 8 to 10 hours a day for the past three weeks I absolutely love the sound of my SR but the microphonic's suck ass  would love an over the ear design on the cable as well.

Do people find it difficult to wear the ER4SR/XR over the ear? Does the cable fall off the ear, or is it unstable somehow? For me, the cable routes over the ear as easily as any other iem, and stays put extremely reliably. If I put up the chin slider as well, I get what I'd call pretty close to zero microphonics.

I have no problem, but i like ear guides like on the pfe :) i keep meaning to try them on my er4sr, but i always forget, because I don't even find it necessary to wear over ear myself...

Waiting for the next gen of my ER4p...

I'd say that is the er4xr. I don't see any reason they'd release another er4pr since the p suffered from decreased treble accuracy to gain sensitivity. The er4xr has the sensitivity with none of the treble loss and a bit more bass, which most people felt the er4p had a bit more of. :)

Have been using the SR exclusively for over a month now and it has practically sidelined all of my IEMs. This is my subjective opinion, but A/B'ing against my old S, detail retrieval seems largely similar although the highs seems a little more crisp on the SR. The most noticeable difference to my ears is that the bass is more apparent on the SR. I don't feel that it has more bass quantity over the S, but rather it is more defined and tighter. What I love most about the ER4 though, is that despite being so revealing and analytical, it never ever gets sibilant, an issue plaguing so many IEMs i've tried costing many times over. With the ER4, you really couldn't ask for more in an IEM

I agree completely.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #9,237 of 19,253

Hmm, I think I might be wrong then.  I didn't think the PT designation happened until the P-S converter was put in the box, but it must have started with the measurement graph.

When we first released the P-T, it included the compliance graph and the airline adapter (the "T" stood for "travel" and it was packaging geared toward the airport retailers). The addition of the P-to-S cable happened later on, when the P-T packaging became the default for the ER4P. Admittedly, I'm a little hazy on the actual time that this took effect.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #9,239 of 19,253
  Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd love to get the XR......Available on the Ety site for the listed price, but they want to charge me $57.32 USD to send it here, wait 3 weeks for delivery and then I have to bend over again for customs duties and local taxes on top of that!!

Around $556 NZD just to get it here......then tax and duty 
mad.gif

*sigh*.....I think I might just upgrade my source to the X3 2nd Gen and spend the extra $$ on new software.

Ouch.  I'm not sure what can be done about that, but let me see if there is a distributor closer to you. Not sure it'll do much to alleviate the taxes and duty, though.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #9,240 of 19,253

Ouch.  I'm not sure what can be done about that, but let me see if there is a distributor closer to you. Not sure it'll do much to alleviate the taxes and duty, though.

Thanks EtyDave.

Usually.....If i keep things under $400NZD it gets through all the officialdom no problem.

I'm a Bicycle guy and buy loads of "bike stuff" online....most of the time out of the UK and Germany....it passes through fine around that price point.....anything over and Govt Depts want to clip the ticket!

Thanks if you can help me out.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back