If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #6,271 of 19,256
Anyone used the same pair of er4s for a decade? Does the sound change with that much burn in?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

In the course of a decade your ear canals change a bit, which may affect the sound. Then there's ageing... Taste and preferences change.
If you haven't replaced the ear tips over the last ten years, it's about time to do so.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #6,272 of 19,256
Anyone used the same pair of er4s for a decade? Does the sound change with that much burn in?

I have had the ER4S since they were first introduced. Other than changing filters and tips I have yet to notice any change in the sound sig.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #6,273 of 19,256
redface.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #6,277 of 19,256

I have had the ER4S since they were first introduced. Other than changing filters and tips I have yet to notice any change in the sound sig.

Wow have you really had the same pair for that long? If I use these in bed only you think I'll get a decade from them lol? How many times have you replaced the cable? How long did it take before you replaced it and what happened that made it need to be replaced.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #6,279 of 19,256
Wow have you really had the same pair for that long? If I use these in bed only you think I'll get a decade from them lol? How many times have you replaced the cable? How long did it take before you replaced it and what happened that made it need to be replaced.

I have one of the lowest serial numbered pairs The girl at Ety had ever seen. I had one side replaced about 5 years in. I used to fly a lot and falling asleep against the window did a driver in. To the horror of everyone on this thread I am sure, I ran a bead of JB weld around the driver/cable junction after that and have not had a problem with them since. Still the original cables and all.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6,281 of 19,256
You should take some pics and show me!

It's no big deal. The juncture of the cable and driver is problematic and wears even just inserting them. Any decent adhesive that can build a bead around there will alleviate the stress. I confess I used more than necessary so I would also have a better grip on them when putting them in and taking them out. Pretty it is not, but it has been functional for well on 15 years.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #6,282 of 19,256
Mine never lasted a decade, they silenced and died a couple of years before that.
First one side, then after a couple of years I tried them on, and the other side had died too.
There is still some very muffled sound on one side, almost unable to hear.
I have my Shure E4c, very similar sound, yet some more bass than the ER 4S, and do not think I will buy some new Etymotics yet.

Have you ever changed the filters? One side still producing very little, muffled sound sounds like this when the filter is clogged, in my experience.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #6,284 of 19,256
Hi everyone,
Haven't posted here (on Head-Fi in general) for quite some time.
But nice to be back.

How do the ER4s get along with the Fiio DAPs?
X1, X3.2, X5.2
Do they happen to work with iTunes, though some extension or other?

Still looking for a Classic though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back