If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,471 of 19,256
What about the Greek audiophile club though? They were dumber than the dumbest beats users.

don't confuse 'geek nerds' with 'dumb'
wink.gif

and i don't think they went through all that hassle to listen to Beyonce or J-pop or other (imho) ****ty, made-up music
wink.gif
- i saw the film and i got the vibe that at least these guys were into good music (classical etc)

also they were into vinyls , not into crappy mp3s
wink.gif

i could go on and on and demolish your argument there , but seeing you dig Miles , I won't as i like you
wink.gif

May 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #4,473 of 19,256
G(r)eek needs?

Only kidding. I like the Greeks. **** music, of course, but nice food.

no offense taken - I am Greek , but i feel more like a citizen of the world and i don't buy into the ******** of 'country A is better than country B' etc

you are your mind after all , not where your parents conceived you
tongue.gif

i agree on the food , this plus the seas and the sun and the beautiful Greek women are what keep us sane in this ****ed up times of economic recession.

we have a lot of flaws as a nation though , but like i said every country has good people and bad people

whera are you from , fellow Miles fan ?

May 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #4,475 of 19,256
like i said , with a nickname as the greatest Miles live album , you have my approval

to stay a bit more on the audiophile thing , seek for vinyl rips - i even paid some guy in Germany years ago to buy and (vinyl) rip Pangaea and Dark Magus

May 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4,476 of 19,256
Mine are in the mail!!!

Pianist i agree completely about the 400 vs 112. I'm just a poor person, so if i can sell one that goes towards my next pair. :p

I currently have 8 main earphones. That may not compare to some here, but for me it's an investment. :p and i want a few i use all the time and lose the rest. But the pfe is extinct... True true. :wink:

I am pretty curious about this Tenore. It's very affordable, so I will definitely buy one if its as good as RE400 or better, though I highly doubt it is.

Regarding having too many headphones, I can definitely relate from personal experience. The last time I listened to my HE-500 and HD650 was like a week ago, as for the past week I was too busy listening to my IEMs... I also tend to reach for the more convenient headphones. For example, I almost always find myself reaching for HD650 over HE-500, because the former is much lighter and more comfortable, or I grab a PFE or RE400 over my ETys, because the former two are much quicker and easier for me to insert in my ears. So I end up listening to HE-500 or Etys a lot less than I would've liked, even though ER4 and HE-500 are the best sounding in my collection. It's just that the others are simply good enough for me. I like accurate sound, but since there can never be a perfectly accurate headphone, we just need to settle for what's accurate enough for our specific needs and based on our music listening abilities.

BTW, I am glad you are enjoying RE400 and that it's growing on you. Maybe at least try taking out the filters, as I read that they only make the sound more muffled, not improving it in any way. Pinhole mod might also be worth trying to possibly get a more neutral response from RE400.

May 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,478 of 19,256
Here's ER4S vs. Tenore:

That looks very, very nice. I hope it doesn't have high distortion and funny looking square waves and decay. It might be the perfect IEM - I am pretty excited!
biggrin.gif
If many people will find it better than ER4S and RE400, then I will sell all my IEMs, which should be enough to buy 3-4 Tenores.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just checked out the Tenore review and measurements at that Japanese site and the Tenre seems to have a tad too much decay below 500Hz, compared to ER4S... Not sure exactly how the longer decay may affect sound, but I suspect that there may be some masking of details compared to ER4S in the bass and low mids due to all that decay. Hope that's not the case. The reviewer did give ER4S a higher rating for sound quality compared to Tenore (4.5 vs 4) if I am not mistaken.

May 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,479 of 19,256
That looks very, very nice. I hope it doesn't have high distortion and funny looking square waves and decay. It might be the perfect IEM - I am pretty excited! :D If many people will find it better than ER4S and RE400, then I will sell all my IEMs, which should be enough to buy 3-4 Tenores. :D  

EDIT: I just checked out the Tenore review and measurements at that Japanese site and the Tenre seems to have a tad too much decay below 500Hz, compared to ER4S... Not sure exactly how the longer decay may affect sound, but I suspect that there may be some masking of details compared to ER4S in the bass and low mids due to all that decay. Hope that's not the case. The reviewer did give ER4S a higher rating for sound quality compared to Tenore (4.5 vs 4) if I am not mistaken.

Yes the decay below 500Hz is audible, so the bass isn't as tight as the ER4S. Decay everywhere else though is pretty amazing, and distortion seems much lower than the ER4S as well. Overall the sound is different than what the ER4S is trying to do imo, more closely matching O-W rather than DF.

May 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #4,480 of 19,256
That looks very, very nice. I hope it doesn't have high distortion and funny looking square waves and decay. It might be the perfect IEM - I am pretty excited! :D If many people will find it better than ER4S and RE400, then I will sell all my IEMs, which should be enough to buy 3-4 Tenores. :D  

ThAts because the ER4s decay is too fast, the small BA doesn't have the mass to produce the low end as naturally. It doesn't have enough lag for any problems and the distortion is far lower than the ER4

May 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #4,482 of 19,256
I can't wait till mine arrives!

Regarding the re400 pianist, I think I definitely see what you mean by space now. And I think I know the difference between our views on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but after much listening, the re400 has a very excellent space in regards to silence and open treble. In other words, when instruments stop dead, the sound stops dead. This doesn't happen on the mh1 or the 272 as well. Perhaps this is somewhat decay related, perhaps something else, but it's like there is a more silent and dry emptiness between things, which to me relates to the space between things. In that regard I am more and more impressed the more I compare these to something like the mh1. The mh1 is smoother in some ways, but the re400 is superior in every other way so far. Things are more tight, pristine, open, etc.

I think the openness that I was describing as being better with the re272 would probably be better described as size and width. The additional stereo width lets there be a little more horizontal space between instruments making them sit in a distinct space that way, and the decay or whatever trait is is that gives the sound it's smooth silkiness lends itself to a "large" sound. Almost as if the earphone had a built in reverb just a tad. Add to that the slight difference in mid range response and the sound is larger and wider and more reverberated in a sense. So perhaps spacious was the wrong description. While I still find the 272 spacious, I think in terms of frequency response as a whole and tight clean sound, the re400 wins. I've compared it to the pfe112 and the mh1 specifically the last day. I find my fit is completely reproducible, and the sounds is very consistent with these tips for me. With that being the case, I would place the re400 above the pfe112 and mh1. It has more open, natural treble than the mh1, where the mh1 has slightly smoother mids. The 400 has more open and detailed upper spectrum than the pfe112, but I would say the pfe is like the 272 in it's larger width and size and smoothness. However, I'd take the re400 personally of the two.

In conclusion, I think I'm keeping the re400. I admit it, I'm an earphone hoarder, or was that earphone whore? Either way you like it. :wink: These are bar none the best earphones I've heard anywhere near $100. The mh1 a close second in value, although a lot cheaper I consider a recable a requirement, so that brings the prices a bit closer if you do it yourself, or possibly more if you have someone else do it. I can't wait to pit the tenores against all these. I'm hoping they will make me cry. :wink: hahaha. For joy, not frustration that is. :wink:

May 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #4,483 of 19,256
Yes the decay below 500Hz is audible, so the bass isn't as tight as the ER4S. Decay everywhere else though is pretty amazing, and distortion seems much lower than the ER4S as well. Overall the sound is different than what the ER4S is trying to do imo, more closely matching O-W rather than DF.

That decay looks somewhat similar to the level seen on say HD650, the impulse is not nearly as clean though. Still looks like an interesting contender especially considering the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back