IEMs with forward mids (budget around 70$)
Sep 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:
They havent any subbass, as i say ckm500 is tier above with nice balanced sound.

I got plenty of sub-bass with them...  It extended quite deep for me, even in comparison to the B2s.  The problem I had with the bass was quantity and a bit of presence with the low-mid bass impact.  Had no problems digging deep though.  Used Sony Hybrids; actually, hybrid clones sealed better (so I eventually did that swap as well :)) :p  

I'll understand if the neutral signature is not for everyone (what signature is?), which is normally the reason why people would say they are boring (it's a preference thing).  But I definitely got good sub-bass out of the RE0.  Probably one of the better extenders I had.  It was just lacking in impact.  

For the OP's use, I think they are a good choice.  For mid-forward, I would recommend both the PFE and Etymotic over these though :wink:

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:
I also tried hybrids, but they still hurt my ears, only wearing over ear solve that problem.

I wasn't talking about comfort, I was talking about Hybrids to help with the colder signature you may have been getting.  The sharpness won't go away.  That is a complaint I had about them.  But my ears adjusted.  

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #22 of 40
The ckm500 has recession in the lower mids and  will sound funny with live recording of male and some female vocals.
The etys, phonak pfes (grey filter), re-zero, xcape, re-zero and even the RE0 has more natural vocals.

For your budget, I will go with the GR06.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #23 of 40
The cheap $9 Monoprice 8320.... i am not joking............

Quote from jokers review (i also got them, and mids are foward and clean)

"The midrange of the MEP933 is crisp and clean - not just for the asking price, but even next to high end sets"

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 40
Yeah, it seems that the monoprice is quite famous around here.
It keeps getting harder to decide which one to buy 
smily_headphones1.gif

But right now I'm leaning towards gr06, xcape ie (have the issues been resolved ?) and
ckm500 ( @glac1er in the big thread you said the recession in the lower mids is solved when you use wide bore tips even though it affects the bass )

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 40
It's not completely solved, just reduced a bit, and it has some negative effects on the sound and bass focus (at least to my ears). Still wouldn't buy the CKM500 if it's just for its mids.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 40
buy 7 pairs of monoprice 8320 for monday to sunday! they have forward mids with decent* top and bottom end for less than 10usd =)

decent* = could be good, could be bad

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 40
Monoprice aren't mid-forward and sound quite thin and cold. A risky choice but very cheap of course. 
Check out ClieOs's thread (Mid and Warm+Sweet). Brainwavz M1 are mid-forward. Other options that come up in my mind are RE-ZERO and Sunrise Xcape v1.
M4 are V-shaped and have recessed mids. Etys are not mid-forward. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
Monoprice aren't mid-forward and sound quite thin and cold. A risky choice but very cheap of course. 
Check out ClieOs's thread (Mid and Warm+Sweet). Brainwavz M1 are mid-forward. Other options that come up in my mind are RE-ZERO and Sunrise Xcape v1.
M4 are V-shaped and have recessed mids. Etys are not mid-forward. 

i have to agree, that was always my impresion of them with a not so good seal, i tried Complys, etcet. nothing,  switched to M9's Double Flange and the sound is big and not thin at all.
i also have to agree that they are not mid foward iems, more  balanced.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:
I tried several tips but the fit is hard, such big shells. I think I need to try some more tips but I have so many higher end IEMs that satisfy me.

+1

Never used them beacuse of that, then i tried the M9 tips and worked perfect also they are larger so the shells dont hurt me anymore, after trying a bunch of tips and having them for months without no use at all,  i was "lucky" to find the correct tip, i am telling you, they sound fantastic, but you have to be lucky to have a perfect seal with these things. what a shame, such a good sounding iem with such bad accesorys and desing.   but for the price, they are worth to at least try them.

with a proper seal, these are at the level of the KSC75 in the Bang for the Buck category. man, they sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back