IEMs to shine with female vocals
Sep 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #46 of 61
  After some more digging I'm considering Shure SE315 and SE425... not many feedback on these models, but there's a review saying SE425 =~ Etymotic ER4. Is that right?

WHY not go with the se535 if you are considering the  425. imo the price for the 425 to the 535 isnt much....and imo the 535 are best for female vocals from shure.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #47 of 61
I do think that etymotic hf5/2/3 do a great job with female vocal. Delicate, and great presence due to a boost in upper vocal region. Voice centres perfectly in your head, the soundstage is quite a bit wider than re400 but had little depth. Bass is quite light in quantity but has good quality. The detail retrieval and isolatio is amazing, so great listening at low volumes. This should translate well to er4s, and both is under your budget on eBay.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #48 of 61

WHY not go with the se535 if you are considering the  425. imo the price for the 425 to the 535 isnt much....and imo the 535 are best for female vocals from shure.

Well, eBay prices start from $160-170 for 425 and $270-290 for 535, which is a pretty significant price difference. Especially for a mild sound difference between them. From reviews I got an impression that 425 is more mid-centric, laid-back, accurate while 535 is more "fun" and has more bass/treble extension.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #49 of 61
I do think that etymotic hf5/2/3 do a great job with female vocal. Delicate, and great presence due to a boost in upper vocal region. Voice centres perfectly in your head, the soundstage is quite a bit wider than re400 but had little depth. Bass is quite light in quantity but has good quality. The detail retrieval and isolatio is amazing, so great listening at low volumes. This should translate well to er4s, and both is under your budget on eBay.

I decided to follow advice given by proton007 and start with several budget iem's (under $200, preferably under $150) that are known to be good at vocals. This will help to determine my musical tastes before going to a higher leagues. For now I decided to get RE400 and TDK IE800. I'm considering TDK BA200 and Phonak PFE 1xx, as well as Shure 315 & 425. As for er4, I heard it is overly analytical, dry and "boring" sounding. That is very much like my current Brainwavz B2 (DBA-02). Not sure that is the type of sound I'm after... Want to try something more "fun" and mid-forward (closer to RE-262, I guess). But nothing overly dark and bassy.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #50 of 61
After another session of digging :) I'm seriously considering Ortofon e-Q7, with plenty of positive feedback on female vocals. The only downside is the price ($300+ shipped). There is also its younger brother e-Q5 for $200 shipped. But it is said to be not as good for vocals as e-Q7. What do you guys think, is the difference between these worth $100 ?

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #51 of 61
  Well, eBay prices start from $160-170 for 425 and $270-290 for 535, which is a pretty significant price difference. Especially for a mild sound difference between them. From reviews I got an impression that 425 is more mid-centric, laid-back, accurate while 535 is more "fun" and has more bass/treble extension.

it would be hard to believe the 425 is more mid centric then the 535 is VERY mid centric IEM's 

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #52 of 61
  After some more digging I'm considering Shure SE315 and SE425... not many feedback on these models, but there's a review saying SE425 =~ Etymotic ER4. Is that right?

well ive not heard the 315 or 425.  the 420 sohuld be very 425 like and no id say its not very like the ER4. 

still like other said if your going to the 425 then its eternal problem is why not spend the fraction more and get the 535.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #53 of 61
So I was able to get an almost new RE-262, highly recommended to vocal listeners here. 
I have to say it is not even getting close to my Brainwavz B2 when it comes to rendering female vocals.
Maybe I'm a treblehead, but in comparison against B2, 262 sounds more veiled and doesn't have that level of emotion. I find 262 lacking clarity and airiness. Voice sounds too "warm" and lacks sparkle. Hard to compare mids on these two, but when coming to 262 from B2, part of sound (the treble part) seems to have been "cut off".
So, for those who listen to female vocals, I'd suggest something with a brighter signature and more emphasis on upper mids/treble.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #54 of 61
So I was able to get an almost new RE-262, highly recommended to vocal listeners here. 
I have to say it is not even getting close to my Brainwavz B2 when it comes to rendering female vocals.
Maybe I'm a treblehead, but in comparison against B2, 262 sounds more veiled and doesn't have that level of emotion. I find 262 lacking clarity and airiness. Voice sounds too "warm" and lacks sparkle. Hard to compare mids on these two, but when coming to 262 from B2, part of sound (the treble part) seems to have been "cut off".
So, for those who listen to female vocals, I'd suggest something with a brighter signature and more emphasis on upper mids/treble.

What's your source? They're pretty hard to drive. Even so, you just might prefer a more shimmery top end. That's ok too.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #57 of 61
I recommend the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore ZH-DX200-CT.  I've been on a search to find better female vocals than this with slightly more bass, but haven't found anything yet under $200.

Based on your description, I think you'll find the BA200 too dark/laid back.  That's also the reason I have them #2 in my sig.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #58 of 61
Now I'm returning to this thread after trying Etymotic ER4 and ATH-CK100PRO - and surprisingly, B2 has not been dethroned as the "king of vocals" for me.

CK100PRO has been recommended on this forum as an upgrade from B2 with similar signature - well, I couldn't disagree more.
It is too bassy compared with B2, and treble peak is much higher, well above vocals/strings region (B2 have a peak in the upper-mids, which I call vocal/strings region).
So, vocals don't really stand out on CK100PRO.

As for Ety's, they are closer to B2 and even better in detailing and soundstage, but still lack this peak in the upper-mids. Vocals have more emotion and breathiness on B2, and strings are more "cruel".
Ety's sound too correct, too precise, which makes them a bit artificial, unrealistic, while B2 are much closer to real-life. It is like listening to a life concert versus an audio recording studio.

Now I'm really in trouble finding an upgrade for B2 with similar signature and oh-these-heavenly-vocals...

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #59 of 61
If only just for female vocals, I think the earphones and headphones from audio technica is the best, the ck100 (not pro), the ew9, the esw9, all of them are so brilliant in female vocals!!!

Apart from Audio technica, I think the Shure E5C is the GOD in all kinds of vocals, especially in pop musics.
You will never forget the sounding once you tried them, just for ONCE.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #60 of 61
  If only just for female vocals, I think the earphones and headphones from audio technica is the best, the ck100 (not pro), the ew9, the esw9, all of them are so brilliant in female vocals!!!

Apart from Audio technica, I think the Shure E5C is the GOD in all kinds of vocals, especially in pop musics.
You will never forget the sounding once you tried them, just for ONCE.

So Shure E5C is better than the newer Shure SE models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back