IEM for riding
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 36
any more input on some good iems with good isolation? Still in the ~150 range looking at shure se215k right now but not sure on them, looking for something on the low end of audiphile/ higher end of normal listening

May 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #20 of 36
  Do you have any info or personal experience on these? whats the noise isolation and sound stage like?

Just Google "XBA-S65" and you'll find plenty of information. I did try it on, once. It's pretty secure. It's also designed to be splash-proof and sweat-proof, IIRC.

Sound-wise, it sounds just like the XBA-1, as it uses the same drivers. You can find information on the XBA-1 via Google or an internal head-fi search.

The XBA-1 is a mostly neutral sounding IEM, with some deficiencies in high-frequency extension. It uses proprietary balanced armature drivers from Sony.

The other options you were looking at are quite bassy/bloated.

The XBA-S65 is $26 on Amazon. That's a darn good price.

May 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 36
For $26 you cant beat it im sure...Im usually not a fan of sonys sound signature except for home audio thats why i was hoping you had a little more experience with them....theyre at the top of the list right now though due mainly to price....what do you think about the DUNU DN1000 ? http://www.head-fi.org/t/695577/review-dunu-dn1000-immensely-capable-hybrid-iem

May 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 36
I've been riding a bicycle (on country roads, not much in the city) since 1989 wearing various headphones.  In some ways it has made me a better rider because I use my eyes more.  Hearing is an overrated sense for bicycling, much less motorcycling.  Isn't a car, especially the newer high end ones, just as "soundproof" as wearing headphones?

May 8, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 36
  For $26 you cant beat it im sure...Im usually not a fan of sonys sound signature except for home audio thats why i was hoping you had a little more experience with them....theyre at the top of the list right now though due mainly to price....what do you think about the DUNU DN1000 ? http://www.head-fi.org/t/695577/review-dunu-dn1000-immensely-capable-hybrid-iem

They're not suitable for riding. They're heavy. Isolation is average.

May 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #24 of 36
I guess I am asking a bit much while restricting price...If I were to ask you what would be the best IEM with great isolation a good sound stage and very good sound quality what would you recommend within a reasonable price range?

May 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #25 of 36
The XBA-S65 has good sound quality. I had the XBA-1 for a while, and I thought it was a decent value even at its initial price of $75. The XBA-S65, IIRC, was initially fetching $90 or so.

You're not going to get a substantial improvement in sound quality by bumping your budget up to $150, I can guarantee you that.

Are there no rare gems out there? Yes, of course there are. But I'm trying to both save you money and the trouble of trying to buy that one difficult-to-find earphone.

May 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 36
I just picked up a pair of RE400's this week which I have used a few times commuting on my Motorcycle, they isolate pretty darn well, sound very good and easily fit under the helmet. Granted I'm a full-sized headphone guy so haven't used many IEMs for comparison, but for the price I think they sound very good.

May 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 36
Normally, I don't recommend dynamic driver IEMs for isolation, as they have to be well-vented for good performance, lest they be microdrivers <6 mm in diameter.

The RE-400 isn't too bad with regard to isolation, but IMHO it can be better. Any deep insertion IEM will best it when it comes to isolation. But yes, the RE-400 has great sound quality.

But my personal inclination is that it's not quite well-built enough for outdoor abuse. Riding in a moving vehicle such as a motorcycle or bicycle, you might accidentally snag on something and moving at that velocity will incur serious force on the earphones. I'll always recommend something less expensive.

Dynamic driver IEMs you can consider:
JVC FXD70 (U-shaped signature)
Yamaha EPH-100
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore
Etymotic MC5
Etymotic EtyKids EK5

Balanced Armature IEMs to consider:
TDK BA200 (if you can find it for the right price, it'll give you the best SQ)
Etymotic HF5

Again, none of these choices are as affordable, nor do they offer any specific concessions for a more secure, sport-oriented fit. The Sony XBA-S65 really is good enough. Read what people have written about the XBA-1 or XBA-10, or even the XBA-C10 (you can even consider that model). They give you a balanced sound signature at decent sound quality, and right now basically come in a a bargain price, especially the XBA-S65. I am not a Sony fanboy, but I do encourage people to take advantage of a good value.

May 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #28 of 36
  Normally, I don't recommend dynamic driver IEMs for isolation, as they have to be well-vented for good performance, lest they be microdrivers <6 mm in diameter.

The RE-400 isn't too bad with regard to isolation, but IMHO it can be better. Any deep insertion IEM will best it when it comes to isolation. But yes, the RE-400 has great sound quality.

But my personal inclination is that it's not quite well-built enough for outdoor abuse. Riding in a moving vehicle such as a motorcycle or bicycle, you might accidentally snag on something and moving at that velocity will incur serious force on the earphones. I'll always recommend something less expensive.

Dynamic driver IEMs you can consider:
JVC FXD70 (U-shaped signature)
Yamaha EPH-100
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore
Etymotic MC5
Etymotic EtyKids EK5

Balanced Armature IEMs to consider:
TDK BA200 (if you can find it for the right price, it'll give you the best SQ)
Etymotic HF5

Again, none of these choices are as affordable, nor do they offer any specific concessions for a more secure, sport-oriented fit. The Sony XBA-S65 really is good enough. Read what people have written about the XBA-1 or XBA-10, or even the XBA-C10 (you can even consider that model). They give you a balanced sound signature at decent sound quality, and right now basically come in a a bargain price, especially the XBA-S65. I am not a Sony fanboy, but I do encourage people to take advantage of a good value.

You also have to remember, the IEM has to fit underneath a helmet, so it cannot stick out one bit (it'll cause bone conduction from the road, pain, or both).  So the JVC, Etymotic and Zero audio are out.  Helmets are heavily known for bone conduction (especially while riding), that puts something like the TDK out possibly (depends on how well it fits the OP).  IMO, the best IEM for riding was the ER-6; it's what Tyll used until it got discontinued.  Now, I think Tyll leans towards the RE-400 due to its size and how little it protrudes. 

May 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #29 of 36
  You also have to remember, the IEM has to fit underneath a helmet, so it cannot stick out one bit (it'll cause bone conduction from the road, pain, or both).  So the JVC, Etymotic and Zero audio are out.  Helmets are heavily known for bone conduction (especially while riding), that puts something like the TDK out possibly (depends on how well it fits the OP).  IMO, the best IEM for riding was the ER-6; it's what Tyll used until it got discontinued.  Now, I think Tyll leans towards the RE-400 due to its size and how little it protrudes. 

The JVC, Etymotic, and Zero don't protrude if worn the right way (deeply). I have small ears and they don't protrude out of my ears. Bone conduction and TDK? Huh? But they're not my foremost recommendations anyway. I was just giving him more choices so that I don't get boxed in as "Sony or bust!" But seriously, OP is already well served with a $25 sports-oriented IEM in the XBA-S65, or $50 XBA-C10.

May 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 36

The JVC, Etymotic, and Zero don't protrude if worn the right way (deeply). I have small ears and they don't protrude out of my ears. Bone conduction and TDK? Huh? But they're not my foremost recommendations anyway. I was just giving him more choices so that I don't get boxed in as "Sony or bust!" But seriously, OP is already well served with a $25 sports-oriented IEM in the XBA-S65, or $50 XBA-C10.

Bone conduction from the helmet...  It can push up on your ears depending on what kind of helmet he's wearing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back