IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #1,906 of 2,105
This may have been asked before, but maybe not.
do you have recommendations on an upgrade path for a fellow metal enthusiast with the following situation?
I am currently using the Moondrop Variations EQd roughly to super 22 target. In other words I am not a bass head though I do appreciate bass quality.
My subjective impressions are that the variations lacks a bit in treble speed, treble timbre, midrange detail, and macro dynamics. I have tried a friend's monarch 2 but the shells did not fit my ears well. I was eyeing the 7th supernova but there are not many reviews on this relatively obscure IEM.
Gizaudio compared variations to Aful Performer 8. Variations more bass quantity, P8 better details. Maybe the right one for you except you want a huge soundstage. P8 is very fast and the bass quality (not quantity) is the best of my iems imo. Pretty sure that monarch has even more details, but P8 also has a lot. (When you add minimal EQ to treble/air- cause I use other eartips) soundstage with qudelix 5k is also satisfying for me. P8 is not an upgrade to variations, but sounds like the things you want from an iem...and looks similar to MK2 (very nice one) but much smaller and very comfortable. Good isolation too.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,908 of 2,105
hey everyone! can anyone recommend something under 800usd?

i listen to every kind of music, but my preference is heavy metal. From iron maiden to abigor
Smooth- relaxed or energetic, a lot of details, forward mids?, treble sensitive? A lot of bass? Tight or more boomy? Like I said before Aful Performer 8 is a generalist and also very good for metal (I like melodic death metal f.e.) and everything else. Soundstage is not huge. Dunu Sa6 Ultra/Mk2 is similar.P8 and Dunu both high details and smooth at the same time. Good bass quality, no bass monsters. Maybe custom art fibae 5 ( high energetic).

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #1,909 of 2,105
Smooth- relaxed or energetic, a lot of details, forward mids?, treble sensitive? A lot of bass? Tight or more boomy? Like I said before Aful Performer 8 is a generalist and also very good for metal (I like melodic death metal f.e.) and everything else. Soundstage is not huge. Dunu Sa6 Ultra/Mk2 is similar.P8 and Dunu both high details and smooth at the same time. Good bass quality, no bass monsters. Maybe custom art fibae 5 ( high energetic).
Hallowed be thy name sounds great with P8 🤘

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,910 of 2,105
hey everyone! can anyone recommend something under 800usd?

i listen to every kind of music, but my preference is heavy metal. From iron maiden to abigor
i don't like boomy bass, I do want to upgrade my airpods pro 2 and i think it lacks of mid-range and detail, I was looking into the SA6 and the Oracle Mkii, I want something fun and forgivable for bad mixings.

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #1,911 of 2,105
Hallowed be thy name sounds great with P8 🤘

i don't like boomy bass, I do want to upgrade my airpods pro 2 and i think it lacks of mid-range and detail, I was looking into the SA6 and the Oracle Mkii, I want something fun and forgivable for bad mixings.
All of them will be an upgrade, didn't listen to Dunus, but Gizaudio said they are very similar to P8. Dunu is a full BA set, P8 has 1 Dynamic Driver for Bass, and 7 BA. Sa6 MK2 has more bass than Ultra. MK2 maybe has too much details for you (not so forgiving). When I look at the frequency response graph of P8 Vs Dunus i think the P8 is more forgiving. Like I wrote in previous posts, P8 is my best (of all I own) for just plug and play with smartphones, better with my portable Dac (qudelix 5k - cause of bigger soundstage). P8 isn't picky at all. My Xelento costs 1000 Euro when you buy it new (bought it used) and it's different to P8, but I wouldn't say better and I need a lot of EQ for it when I listen to metal. P8 is very fast with good natural tonality, no EQ needed (but I always play around with it lol) I'd buy the Qudelix 5k and P8 and I don't think that you will want more... But that's just my opinion.

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,912 of 2,105
All of them will be an upgrade, didn't listen to Dunus, but Gizaudio said they are very similar to P8. Dunu is a full BA set, P8 has 1 Dynamic Driver for Bass, and 7 BA. Sa6 MK2 has more bass than Ultra. MK2 maybe has too much details for you (not so forgiving). When I look at the frequency response graph of P8 Vs Dunus i think the P8 is more forgiving. Like I wrote in previous posts, P8 is my best (of all I own) for just plug and play with smartphones, better with my portable Dac (qudelix 5k - cause of bigger soundstage). P8 isn't picky at all. My Xelento costs 1000 Euro when you buy it new (bought it used) and it's different to P8, but I wouldn't say better and I need a lot of EQ for it when I listen to metal. P8 is very fast with good natural tonality, no EQ needed (but I always play around with it lol) I'd buy the Qudelix 5k and P8 and I don't think that you will want more... But that's just my opinion.
And for more bass maybe the Moondrop Variations, more fun tuning...

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #1,913 of 2,105
Jun 12, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #1,914 of 2,105
Is on sale right now (linsoul)
You can listen to some of them on YouTube - Dan's Audio reviews to get an impression ( Dunu and Variations are there...)

Jun 12, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #1,916 of 2,105
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,917 of 2,105
The 5K is a stunningly good little device. I do not understand how it's as cheap as it is.

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,919 of 2,105
Received my P8 today and based on the first impressions, it is a really great set.
I got mine on June 6th and have been loving every listen. Straight out of an Apple Lightning dongle with no EQ.

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,920 of 2,105
hello, I have a bundle of Hiby r6 pro II + Yanyin Canon. Music death, death grind, death black. Everything is great: a wide stage, separation of instruments, beautiful and driving presentation with a slight emphasis on mids. I want to buy another Penon 10th. Will I get a quality boost over Canon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back