2. LZ A7 (pop-red config)
  3. Fiio FH3

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,398 of 2,102
My top 3 iems for rock/metal as of 2021-09-24:

1. Dunu Falcon Pro
  2. LZ A7 (pop-red config)
  3. Fiio FH3
Very interesting!

I just read your exhaustive review of the Falcon Pro. I must confess, apart from the compatible tuning, I am not sure I understand why you ascribe the Falcon Pro to rock and metal while ranking many other iems higher in speed, energy, timbre, versatility etc., many characteristics that seem useful for playback of these genres.
Though I do get that laidback gear can be good to offset overexcited metal mixes that just make things fatiguing, maybe that’s your angle.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,399 of 2,102
Very interesting!

I just read your exhaustive review of the Falcon Pro. I must confess, apart from the compatible tuning, I am not sure I understand why you ascribe the Falcon Pro to rock and metal while ranking many other iems higher in speed, energy, timbre, versatility etc., many characteristics that seem useful for playback of these genres.
Though I do get that laidback gear can be good to offset overexcited metal mixes that just make things fatiguing, maybe that’s your angle.
Its due to the treble not being sharp, which is useful for metal/rock where electric guitar and cymbals are usually elevated. And the mid-bass is elevated with texture, so it has that "slam" they need, but is still tight/fast enough to not get bloated. So for rock/metal specifically, the Falcon Pro does perform better than my other iems because of that. (stuff like the LZ A7 is more technical, but they dont have that same mid-bass quantity while keeping quality.)

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,400 of 2,102
Very interesting!

I thought that the Timeless would be better at it, being a planar,
I guess I'm wrong,

@RikudouGoku

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,401 of 2,102
I thought that the Timeless would be better at it, being a planar,
I guess I'm wrong,

@RikudouGoku
Havent compared it nor listened much to the Timeless yet. I will start listening to it tomorrow.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,402 of 2,102
Havent compared it nor listened much to the Timeless yet. I will start listening to it tomorrow.
looking forward to your impression,
I really have a high hope for it,

Do you have the GS Audio GD7B ?
it have a nice graph for metal,

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,403 of 2,102
Sep 27, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #1,404 of 2,102
Dunu Falcon Pro are very intersting, I think I will give them a try and let you know my impressions.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,405 of 2,102
I was intrigued by the Shuoer EJ07M IEMs and was able to test out a set… right after I ordered a pair (missed it by that much). Seems like they are quite popular on here so I thought I would share my impressions for those that are interested.

***My opinion of them is less encomiastic than the general consensus, but I think it’s primarily due to my listening preference and physical hearing limitations: I have hearing loss from 4kHz to 10kHz and therefore prefer a very bright sound signature. With that being said, I do think the EJ07Ms are a technically impressive set of IEMs, albeit too dark for my preference. The treble region is really my only complaint with them.

I would also consider myself more of an amateur and do not have the most diverse background in listening devices. The most relevant IEMs/headphones I have tried are (in chronological order):

Sony MDR-XB450
Marshall Major II
1MORE Triple Driver
DUNU DN-2000j
Hifiman Sundara
Audeze iSINE 20
Final Audio B1
Shuoer EJ07M

I’ve been using the DN-2000j for a few years and have not found an IEM that I like more yet, despite my attempts to upgrade. While I have listened to the aforementioned IEMs, it’s been too long to give a direct comparison between the sundara, isine 20, and B1; any comparisons are between the DN-2000j and the EJ07M.

Alright, the disclosures are over, now onto the sound of the EJ07M!

The first aspect that caught my attention was the treble. I find the decay of instruments in the upper treble range to be lacking, specifically with cymbal strikes; it’s definitely not a “sparkly” IEM. However, while lacking the airy treble, the cymbal strikes do sound natural and detailed; I would metaphorically describe the cymbals as a light shining through a fog. To give an example of what I mean by “fog”, the song “Intensified Genocide” by Shadow of Intent has background harmonized choir vocables with various “ahh’s” that sound veiled and lack the vocal articulation that I can hear with the DN-2000j IEMs. Additionally, the electric keyboard notes seem too distant and there are feint piano notes that I can hardly hear on the EJ07Ms but nicely present on the DN-2000j.

Similar to the cymbals, electric guitar notes are presented well with a sound that has nice texture, but ever so slightly dull for my preference. The song “The Void Alone” by Fallujah has a melodic electric guitar intro that is a good example of an electric guitar that was presented smoothly and naturally. That song also gets quite congested with a fast kick drum, fast electric guitar, and deep guttural vocals; the EJ07Ms handled the busyness well with good layering between the instruments. I was impressed with how fast these IEMs are, this is the main reason why I understand the recommendation when it comes to heavy music. That and vocals, male vocals also sound very good with a nice weight in the lower pitched screams, but also in the higher pitches as well.

In the song “What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse” by The Black Dahlia Murder, there are three overlapping screams at the end of the song which seem to have an extended duration during their fade in to overlap the previous; they have nice depth as they fade in. This song also showcases the EJ07M’s good low-midrange prowess. There is a very subtle bass guitar vibrato at the 2:15 mark that is nicely discernible with these IEMs, where it isn't easily noticed with the lower-priced IEMs/headphones.

In general, the bass guitar notes sound natural and full-bodied. Most of the album “Sun Eater” by Job For A Cowboy heavily incorporates the bass guitar, and this album was a treat on the EJ07M. While listening to “Worming Nightfall” on this album, I also enjoyed how these IEMs handled the snare drums, tom drums, and kick drums with a natural sound and very pleasant decay. There is a nice presentation of the snare drums at 3:01, while the fun section of tom drums is at 4:14 and the kick drums coming in at the 4:18 mark.

Moving onto DAC parings, the EJ07M pairs very well with the brighter DACs, in my opinion; the Sabre DAC options are a nice match for this IEM. The two Sabre DAC options I have tried are the OPPO HA-2se and the Dragonfly Cobalt. I prefer the HA-2se since it has a brighter sound, but the Cobalt has the newer DAC chip and the convenience of no battery to charge.

Right now, in the $600 price range, I would take the DN-2000j paired with a dark sounding DAC/AMP (currently using iFi nano iDSD Black Label) over the EJ07M. Of course, it is worth noting my preference again, so if anyone is like me and prefers a bright sound signature, then I would probably recommend looking elsewhere. I plan to try the TRI Starlight IEMs once I sell the EJ07M set. If anyone has any experience with Starlight, I would be interested to know what you think. I will also probably splurge on a set of MEST Mk II at some point too.

Thanks for reading! This turned out to be much longer than I initially intended.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #1,406 of 2,102
I was intrigued by the Shuoer EJ07M IEMs and was able to test out a set… right after I ordered a pair (missed it by that much). Seems like they are quite popular on here so I thought I would share my impressions for those that are interested.

My opinion of them is less encomiastic than the general consensus, but I think it’s primarily due to my listening preference and physical hearing limitations: I have some mild hearing loss from 4kHz to 10kHz and prefer a bright sound signature. With that being said, I do think the EJ07Ms are a technically impressive set of IEMs, albeit too dark for my preference. The treble region is really my only complain with them.

I would also consider myself more of an amateur and do not have the most diverse background in listening devices. The most relevant IEMs/headphones I have tried are (in chronological order):

Sony MDR-XB450
Marshall Major II
1MORE Triple Driver
DUNU DN-2000j
Hifiman Sundara
Audeze iSINE 20
Final Audio B1
Shuoer EJ07M

I’ve been using the DN-2000j for a few years and have not found an IEM that I like more yet, despite my attempts to upgrade. While I have listened to the aforementioned IEMs, it’s been too long to give a direct comparison between the sundara, isine 20, and B1; any comparisons are between the DN-2000j and the EJ07M.

The first aspect that caught my attention was the treble. I find the decay of instruments in the upper treble range to be lacking, specifically with cymbal strikes; it’s definitely not a “sparkly” IEM. However, while lacking the airy treble, the cymbal strikes do sound natural and detailed; I would metaphorically describe the cymbals as a light shining through a fog. To give an example of what I mean by “fog”, the song “Intensified Genocide” by Shadow of Intent has background harmonized choir vocables with various “ahh’s” that sound veiled and lack the vocal articulation that I can hear with the DN-2000j IEMs. Additionally, the electric keyboard notes seem too distant and there are feint piano note that I can hardly hear on the EJ07Ms but nicely present on the DN-2000j.

Similar to the cymbals, electric guitar notes are presented well with a sound that has nice texture, but ever so slightly dull for my preference. The song “The Void Alone” by Fallujah has a melodic electric guitar intro that is a good example of an electric guitar that was presented smoothly and naturally. That song also gets quite congested with a fast kick drum, fast electric guitar, and deep guttural vocals; the EJ07Ms handled the busyness well with good layering between the instruments. I was impressed with how fast these IEMs are, this is the main reason why I understand the recommendation when it comes to heavy music. That and vocals, male vocals also sound very good with a nice weight in the lower pitched screams, but also in the higher pitches as well.

In the song “What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse” by The Black Dahlia Murder, there are three overlapping screams at the end of the song which seem to have an extended duration during their fade in to overlap the previous; they have nice depth as they fade in. This song also showcases the EJ07M’s good low-midrange prowess. There is a very subtle bass guitar vibrato at the 2:15 mark that is nicely discernible with these IEMs, where it isn't easily noticed with the lower-priced IEMs/headphones.

In general, the bass guitar notes sound natural and full-bodied. Most of the album “Sun Eater” by Job For A Cowboy heavily incorporates the bass guitar, and this album was a treat on the EJ07M. While listening to “Worming Nightfall” on this album, I also enjoyed how these IEMs handled the snare drums, tom drums, and kick drums with a natural sound and very pleasant decay. There is a nice presentation of the snare drums at 3:01, while the fun section of tom drums is at 4:14 and the kick drums coming in at the 4:18 mark.

Moving onto DAC parings, the EJ07M pairs very well with the brighter DACs, in my opinion; the Sabre DAC options are a nice match for this IEM. The two Sabre DAC options I have tried are the OPPO HA-2se and the Dragonfly Cobalt. I prefer the HA-2se since it has a brighter sound, but the Cobalt has the newer DAC chip and the convenience of no battery to charge.

Right now, in the $600 price range, I would take the DN-2000j paired with a dark sounding DAC/AMP (currently using iFi nano iDSD Black Label) over the EJ07M. Of course, it is worth noting my preference again, so if anyone is like me and prefers a bright sound signature, then I would probably recommend looking elsewhere. I plan to try the TRI Starlight IEMs once I sell the EJ07M set. If anyone has any experience with Starlight, I would be interested to know what you think. I will also probably splurge on a set of MEST Mk II at some point too.

Thanks for reading! This turned out to be much longer than I initially intended.
I think you will like the Mest. And if you have the opportunity, within that $ 600 range, try the Isabellae, I think you will like it too.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #1,407 of 2,102

My opinion of them is less encomiastic than the general consensus, but I think it’s primarily due to my listening preference and physical hearing limitations: I have some mild hearing loss from 4kHz to 10kHz and prefer a bright sound signature. With that being said, I do think the EJ07Ms are a technically impressive set of IEMs, albeit too dark for my preference. The treble region is really my only complain with them.

Sony MDR-XB450
Marshall Major II
1MORE Triple Driver
DUNU DN-2000j
Hifiman Sundara
Audeze iSINE 20
Final Audio B1
Shuoer EJ07M

The first aspect that caught my attention was the treble. I find the decay of instruments in the upper treble range to be lacking, specifically with cymbal strikes; it’s definitely not a “sparkly” IEM. However, while lacking the airy treble, the cymbal strikes do sound natural and detailed; I would metaphorically describe the cymbals as a light shining through a fog. To give an example of what I mean by “fog”, the song “Intensified Genocide” by Shadow of Intent has background harmonized choir vocables with various “ahh’s” that sound veiled and lack the vocal articulation that I can hear with the DN-2000j IEMs. Additionally, the electric keyboard notes seem too distant and there are feint piano note that I can hardly hear on the EJ07Ms but nicely present on the DN-2000j.

My treble rec list:

Tansio Mirai LAND,
TRI Starlight,
Seeaudio NEO,
Anole VX,

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,408 of 2,102
Not sure if i mentioned it in here before, but i still love the dunu dk4001 for pretty much everything. I will admit it took me a long time of tip swapping and fitment to really hear how amazing they are. They are ridiculously tip dependent, to a fault. But man, theyre incredible for all the genres of metal i listen to.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #1,409 of 2,102
I've had the UM MEST shortly after launch and never looked back especially for extreme metal subgenres, it's virtually perfect in every aspect save for one personal preference issue: the lack of hedonistic visceral bass response that I crave so much (especially with well recorded melodic tech death like the new Inferi, Stortregn, Ophidian-I, Demon King - which are all in my top 10 releases so far this year along with Hooded Menace and Mare Cognitum). I currently have the MEST MKII and it's a small noticeable upgrade in the mid-bass area, but it's still a long ways from being fully satisfying.

I'm seriously considering trying out the new EE Legend Evo to satisfy my need for visceral bass and a generally funner sound signature, early reviews seem promising so far but I don't think anyone has tested them with extreme metal subgenres where speed, clarity and detail retrieval in the low-end are everything (otherwise it just sounds like a muddy mess akin to to the original Legend X).

I also listen to quite a bit of DnB (neurofunk, liquid, halftime) and 140bpm deep dubstep (not that brostep garbage), so my rationale is that it'll end up being a complementary IEM set at worst next to the MEST MKII. Anyone else feel this way regarding wanting to feel visceral bass on an emotional level like that guy with the Cryptic Shift avatar a few pages back talking the 64a Nio? Don't get me wrong, the UM MEST MKII are plenty enjoyable in general especially with metal (any subgenre really), definitely a long cry from the absolute snoozefest that is the 64a U12t. If only we could get a sound signature like the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC in IEM form - that would be endgame for metal.

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #1,410 of 2,102
This is what I use the Nio for as well. It has the visceral bass you're talking about. For faster metal it can feel a little sloppy. Another great option is the Thummim. Chunky guitar riffs combined with treble extension and a holographic soundstage. Some have described the Thummim as the TC in IEM form. I find it difficult to compare across IEMs and HPs, as I don't think it's possible to do what the TC does in IEMs, but I can see the resemblance I suppose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back