IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #2,086 of 2,094
So after 139 pages, what's the consensus here, people? We love bass in metal because how that drives the music or the amplified electric guitars that bite? Liking the former rules out bright gear, liking the latter rules out bassy and V-shaped sets, IMO, solving this conundrum.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,088 of 2,094
So after 139 pages, what's the consensus here, people? We love bass in metal because how that drives the music or the amplified electric guitars that bite? Liking the former rules out bright gear, liking the latter rules out bassy and V-shaped sets, IMO, solving this conundrum.
Octavius already said it...you will miss something. A slight v can be nice, but a typical v-shaped is not perfect for metal. If you like it like that it's o.k....i think there are so many kinds of metal (I think 73 subgenres on rateyourmusic), so many different ears and preferences that it's pretty hard to say that one iem or one signature is the perfect one for metal, but maybe there is one best for you (at least till the next month :wink:)

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,090 of 2,094
Damn, I forgot the vocals (not my focus in any genre), you're right!
It is a compromise.
A rich lower midrange helps with male vocals but then complex and fast music sounds bloated.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,091 of 2,094
Octavius already said it...you will miss something. A slight v can be nice, but a typical v-shaped is not perfect for metal. If you like it like that it's o.k....i think there are so many kinds of metal (I think 73 subgenres on rateyourmusic), so many different ears and preferences that it's pretty hard to say that one iem or one signature is the perfect one for metal, but maybe there is one best for you (at least till the next month :wink:)

Agreed. That's why it's a bit of a reductionist idea to have IEMs specifically for metal, as long as metal isn't defined. I was trying to cut the Gordian knot above from my POV, in which vocals don't really matter.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #2,092 of 2,094
Has anyone tried Thieaudio Hype 4? Curious to how they perform with metal. Looking at them, Symphosium Nightjar Meteor and Moondrop Variations and haven’t been able to make a decision.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #2,093 of 2,094
I own the Hidizs MP145 since 2 months and I have to say that's a very good iem for metal and not expensive (~170 Euro). It's a big one so not for small ears. You can leave it stock, also very nice with a big soundstage, detailed (planar), quick punchy bass and minimum planar timbre (compared to Shuoer S12), not fatiguing. Doesn't need a lot of power but it's a planar so better with a (mobile)dac like Qudelix, IBasso DC04 pro or something like that.

For the price it's a steal imo and one of the better iems I own, best price/performance-wise.First it sounded a little soft and I used more eq (always play around with EQ with every iem and headphone) , but was getting better over time and doesn't really need it anymore.
(If you want you can use hshelf 40 Hz -2.5db Q 0.71 for faster metal).
Akros made a long review about it on YouTube when you are interested...
Is mp145 a worthy sidegrade to s12? I do find s12 too sharp but apart from being smoother in the treble is hidizs better in any other way? What exactly is planar timbre? Mp145 is a tad bit more expensive and ill have to keep the s12 cable so im not sure if i should get it. S12 fit is also pretty bad.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #2,094 of 2,094
Is mp145 a worthy sidegrade to s12? I do find s12 too sharp but apart from being smoother in the treble is hidizs better in any other way? What exactly is planar timbre? Mp145 is a tad bit more expensive and ill have to keep the s12 cable so im not sure if i should get it. S12 fit is also pretty bad.
Yes it is. Hard to say if it is better than S12, for my preference I like the Hidizs more. Some prefer the S12. Sidegrade is the better word. Hidizs: Bigger soundstage and smoother, so not as sharp but still pretty detailed. I can only use the s12 with eq, the Hidizs needs no eq imo. It is tuneable with the 3 filters and different eartips you get. (I use the balanced filter and the vocal tips) Hidizs is much bigger than S12 but I have no comfort problems with them but this could be a problem. Planar timbre: o.k., there are some in depth comparisons on headfi and headphones.com about that topic and i'm not a technical expert. My experience with planars that I have heard is that they sound(ed)a little thin and dry to my ears. Less body and "soul". Maybe it's just the tuning of some of them. I hope that helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back