iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 3, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3,121 of 4,252
looking to buy one of these and i am having zero luck finding it in India. If i order from abroad its going to be charged customs at 44%. I seem out of luck with this one.
Take a trip and get it.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,122 of 4,252
Interesting, I've only had it happen when connected to my macbook pro, sitting stationary - so no cable movement. It will just randomly disconnect/reconnect once about an hour. Both the cables I've tried so far are actually the same exact make and model, so I'm trying the cable that came with it today to see if it makes a difference. I've never experienced this when it is connected to my android phone, so it might not be the unit.
Similarly I guess. Previously a Window user (still am at home). But since I am now studying abroad, I always thought it is because I damaged my unit while traveling in my backpack that caused this. So it seems like a common problem for macbook eh? Never had it on my Window PC but it never moved or disconnected on my PC for a good 2years(ish)
I'm need some advice headfiers

I'm debating, should I getting the original version or the black version? which is better? and by how much?

Thanks
If you own neither, get the black version. Long story short;

Is the black clearly better than the silver?
As a standalone, yes. As a pure DAC, not so much.

Is the black worth the extra $$$?
Definitely yes.

If you own the silver should you upgrade to black?
Not necessary.

Differences?
Black is warmer, more musical, 3D switch is more effective XBass boost an even tighter and more quantity of bass. White is more on the neutral side.

Hope it helps!

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,123 of 4,252
Yikes! Does it apply only if the good exceeds a certain value? That's the case in Singapore. (I think I'll stop complaining about import taxes.)

Technically its above $10 however i have heard people get stuff worth $$$ without paying any customs. It seems that weighs more get caught invariably. For people who under value the customs officials google the price of the product and charge you on the price they find on google. This price is no indicator for the actual value paid and this is the system we live with. Interestingly there is something called CVD which is a duty that is to be calculated assuming if the product was made in india. The logic behind this is to tax a product which is a direct competition to an existing indian product therefore encouraging people to buy the cheaper indian product. (There is no justification to charge CVD on products there are not a direct competition to existing products made in India).

Oops i am sorry for the rant of a retired lawyer. I have emailed ifi and they kindly pointed me towards stereo.sg and i even got a ifi nano iOne from them with 44% duty! I dont think the 44% increase in the price would be justifiable to me.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,124 of 4,252
Jul 4, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #3,125 of 4,252
USB connections in the package are more than sufficient

Don't worry about the battery, iFi implemented a solution for this. If I'm not mistaken, you just have to make sure that you start spinning the wheel after you plug in the USB cable, so it runs from USB power.

It can run directly from the laptop, it stops charging at ~70% or so and protects the batter if you're using it as a desktop DAC solution all the time.

Hope this helps!

P.S. - I am enjoying it right now, super awesome sound!

Thanks for that that's exactly the info I was looking for. Think I will be buying one in the next few weeks.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3,126 of 4,252
Technically its above $10 however i have heard people get stuff worth $$$ without paying any customs. It seems that weighs more get caught invariably. For people who under value the customs officials google the price of the product and charge you on the price they find on google. This price is no indicator for the actual value paid and this is the system we live with. Interestingly there is something called CVD which is a duty that is to be calculated assuming if the product was made in india. The logic behind this is to tax a product which is a direct competition to an existing indian product therefore encouraging people to buy the cheaper indian product. (There is no justification to charge CVD on products there are not a direct competition to existing products made in India).

Oops i am sorry for the rant of a retired lawyer. I have emailed ifi and they kindly pointed me towards stereo.sg and i even got a ifi nano iOne from them with 44% duty! I dont think the 44% increase in the price would be justifiable to me.

Sure sounds like a rather unjustified tax premium to place on the product. What if ifi can send it to you in separate parts, and you assemble it... Just a thought. But you're a lawyer. You'll know the loopholes before anyone can think of them.

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #3,127 of 4,252
Sure sounds like a rather unjustified tax premium to place on the product. What if ifi can send it to you in separate parts, and you assemble it... Just a thought. But you're a lawyer. You'll know the loopholes before anyone can think of them.

I have asked some kind friends to get it for me from the US. Loopholes there are however I'm a retired scum now. The thing is i hate waiting and that is exactly what i'll have to do. But yes technically if its in either a semi knocked-down or knocked-down condition the duty imposed is negligible. I sometimes wonder how the so called logical mind of a law maker works. Black Label i'll get you :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #3,128 of 4,252
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,130 of 4,252
Wow... so buying an iDSD BL in India can actually get you their retro/pro line in elsewhere in the world? @.@

That would be a very correct summation in my considered opinion, albeit a used one :)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #3,131 of 4,252
That would be a very correct summation in my considered opinion.

You might have a better chance of buying directly from iFi and nicely asking them to declare the package value much lower than its intended value, but I don't know what checkups products go through there...

Another idea I would have / apply would be to take a trip to a neighboring country and buy it while you're on trip, prices should be fair in some Asian countries near india, and it would be a great opportunity to visit new places!

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,132 of 4,252
You might have a better chance of buying directly from iFi and nicely asking them to declare the package value much lower than its intended value, but I don't know what checkups products go through there...

Another idea I would have / apply would be to take a trip to a neighboring country and buy it while you're on trip, prices should be fair in some Asian countries near india, and it would be a great opportunity to visit new places!

Like for example either Singapore or Bangkok :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3,134 of 4,252
Similarly I guess. Previously a Window user (still am at home). But since I am now studying abroad, I always thought it is because I damaged my unit while traveling in my backpack that caused this. So it seems like a common problem for macbook eh? Never had it on my Window PC but it never moved or disconnected on my PC for a good 2years(ish)

I had to return my BL because of this issue. It was definitely happening, but only on my macbook pro (early 2013 model). Doesn't happen with other devices, so probably some kind of incompatibility between the two. I was hoping it was just a faulty unit and was looking to buy one on the next Adorama sale, but I think you're the second one to tell me it was happening to you as well - so maybe it wasn't just my unit.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3,135 of 4,252
I had to return my BL because of this issue. It was definitely happening, but only on my macbook pro (early 2013 model). Doesn't happen with other devices, so probably some kind of incompatibility between the two. I was hoping it was just a faulty unit and was looking to buy one on the next Adorama sale, but I think you're the second one to tell me it was happening to you as well - so maybe it wasn't just my unit.
Maybe some day I should send my unit in for a repair too then... I don't mind paying for it since my warranty is probably expired.

But since I need it on a daily basis, not so soon xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back