iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Aug 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #1,831 of 4,252
  That is exactly how I am using it. I *think* I may have figured it out though. We had a brief power outage two nights ago lasting 10 minutes during which time the iDSD was still switched on but suddenly the iUSB Power lost its supply power. So maybe the iDSD switched to battery power and then never converted back over. At any rate, I turned it off last night and the LED switched to Blue chargin and is still on 6 hours later. Hopefully it will be off by the time I get back from work tonight and all will resume normal.

Thanks so much,I needed that... Great news...

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,832 of 4,252
I think i've changed my mind. Bit-perfect is my preferred filter. Seems more realistic than "standard" if only by a hair.

BUT there seems to be some ringing through my earpods... Is this normal? (Only happens with this filter!!!)

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,833 of 4,252
Guys, sorry for the dumb questions:

1- Does the iDSD works on batteries (charged via usb) and the operating stand alone ? 
2- How would the iDSD compare to the Hugo ? Not sure if the big price gap is worth it.

Thanks

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,834 of 4,252
Aug 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #1,835 of 4,252
I still have not received my iDSD from Stereo. Still waiting ... 

Quote:
  Crowd-Designed. Phase 2: When and Where do you listen to the Meaty Monster?
Hi all,

A small announcement.

As the shipments are gradually arriving at the doorstep of each of the 512 customers around the world, we are going to wait another week or two before we make an official announcement for:
Crowd-Designed. Phase 2: When and Where do you listen to the Meaty Monster?

Suffice to say that it should be quite natty.

In the meantime, as you have all read the "golden ticket" please make sure that you register your micro iDSD here:

http://ifi-audio.com/product-registration/

Once we have your details, we will enroll you into the iCLUB.

We can see that not everyone has registered yet - so in case you have not, please register asap!

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #1,836 of 4,252
Guys, sorry for the dumb questions:

1- Does the iDSD works on batteries (charged via usb) and the operating stand alone ? 
2- How would the iDSD compare to the Hugo ? Not sure if the big price gap is worth it.

Thanks

1- yes :)

2- not sure about sound, but features wise, the Micro iDSD compares extremely well! IMO

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,837 of 4,252
[size=xx-small]​A comparison to the Hugo can be found in these 30 pages... You can scan it fairly fast...[/size]
[size=xx-small]http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments [/size]

[size=xx-small]I do love this quote...[/size]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/390#post_10806260

"Completely agree on the sound quality aspect of this device, it does really suck you in. I've auditioned an Auralic Vega in my system and will get it back again, and I will have the chance to do the same with a PS Audio Directstream in the near future. I'm not so sure that these two are going to pull me into the music in the same way that the micro iDSD is doing right now. I always find myself worrying about what I should be hearing, rather than just listening to music when I encounter the high-end DAC's."

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,838 of 4,252
  [size=xx-small]​A comparison to the Hugo can be found in these 30 pages... You can scan it fairly fast...[/size]
[size=xx-small]http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments [/size]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/390#post_10806260

"Completely agree on the sound quality aspect of this device, it does really suck you in. I've auditioned an Auralic Vega in my system and will get it back again, and I will have the chance to do the same with a PS Audio Directstream in the near future. I'm not so sure that these two are going to pull me into the music in the same way that the micro iDSD is doing right now. I always find myself worrying about what I should be hearing, rather than just listening to music when I encounter the high-end DAC's."

I like that quote too.

Along that line of thinking... the Vega and Directstream both upsample and reprocess/filter your music extensively before output. Is this really much different than what you can also do with playback software (Audirvana+, JRiver, HQPlayer, etc) on your computer? At least in the software, I have some idea/control over what is happening to my music file.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,839 of 4,252
Now my little session is *very* casual and no, i didn't level-match and i know i can buy one idsd for each room of the house for one ds so please put away your pitchforks and torches. The idsd is awesome value however you look at it. I'm seriously thinking of comparing it to my gingnir (which it kindda reminds me of).

Just noticed this part, I bet you find it waaaay smoother and more musical than the Gunginir.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,840 of 4,252

I just sold an ($1800) BMC PureDAC that was a really good dac with a superb headphone section. I was essentially trying to decide for the near term which one to use into my tube amp. The PureDAC was higher resolution and more spciously detailed, but something about it just left me in the cold. The iDSD is not as "good" of a dac and the BMC in all of the typical categories, the iDSD just has a natural, easy sound to it that is addicting. I am suspicious that non-oversampling, native rate playback is partly responsible. I am just wondering if the mini iDSD will be as big of a upgrade as the micro vs nano iDSD

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,841 of 4,252
BTW, just want to confirm that I tried the optical input from two different airport expresses (both of the latest model, mind) and two different sources, my MBP (17", OLD) and my iPhone 5S.

From the iPhone, the signal cut out at least once/song but usually more like 3-4 times. It seems oddly to depend a little bit on what else I do with the phone? Like if I use safari at the same time as streaming, it goes ape$hit.

From the MBP, it was more stable and usually cuts out once every 2-3 songs.

This happened with BOTH airport expresses so it's not just one defective one.

So I dug up my W4S Remedy (reclocker) and used my iPhone to stream. It was flawless. Seriously, I surfed the web, I sent e-mail, I did all sorts of things to it. I also streamed youtube without a hitch. I don't really know how to 'stress test' my iPhone, but all I wanted to do to it while steaming I did and it didn't cut out. Well, it did once, but didn't do it again for like an hour and a half.

I guess I have to conclude that it is the jitter that is causing the problem (as the Remedy was meant to solve jitter issues). Which is a little odd as this means that my optical Modi and Audioengine D1 are both more tolerant of jitter. And also it is sad for me to confirm that the Airport Express does generate a lot of jitter, but it may not be the airport express alone as the MBP did a lot better than the iPhone 5S. May be it's some kind of communication between the device and the Airport Express that exacerbates the issue? Dunno. For my AEX streaming setup I've gone back to the Audioengine D1 which is quite noticeably inferior, but at least it works. With the Remedy at $399, I think I'll just use the iDSD for my portable setup.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,842 of 4,252
  BTW, just want to confirm that I tried the optical input from two different airport expresses (both of the latest model, mind) and two different sources, my MBP (17", OLD) and my iPhone 5S.

From the iPhone, the signal cut out at least once/song but usually more like 3-4 times. It seems oddly to depend a little bit on what else I do with the phone? Like if I use safari at the same time as streaming, it goes ape$hit.

From the MBP, it was more stable and usually cuts out once every 2-3 songs.

This happened with BOTH airport expresses so it's not just one defective one.

So I dug up my W4S Remedy (reclocker) and used my iPhone to stream. It was flawless. Seriously, I surfed the web, I sent e-mail, I did all sorts of things to it. I also streamed youtube without a hitch. I don't really know how to 'stress test' my iPhone, but all I wanted to do to it while steaming I did and it didn't cut out. Well, it did once, but didn't do it again for like an hour and a half.

I guess I have to conclude that it is the jitter that is causing the problem (as the Remedy was meant to solve jitter issues). Which is a little odd as this means that my optical Modi and Audioengine D1 are both more tolerant of jitter. And also it is sad for me to confirm that the Airport Express does generate a lot of jitter, but it may not be the airport express alone as the MBP did a lot better than the iPhone 5S. May be it's some kind of communication between the device and the Airport Express that exacerbates the issue? Dunno. For my AEX streaming setup I've gone back to the Audioengine D1 which is quite noticeably inferior, but at least it works. With the Remedy at $399, I think I'll just use the iDSD for my portable setup.

That is disappointing that the jitter rejection on the SPDIF input is so poor. I would have hopped it would be just as good without something like the reclocker. Perhaps the device depends mostly on the USB input provider a very steady, low jitter signal.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,843 of 4,252
  That is disappointing that the jitter rejection on the SPDIF input is so poor. I would have hopped it would be just as good without something like the reclocker. Perhaps the device depends mostly on the USB input provider a very steady, low jitter signal.

To be honest I don't think it's all iFi's fault. It may well be to do with how iPhones deal with streaming over airplay and how the airport express prioritizes things. I mean, I *think* the MBP and iPhone streams in a protocol that is NOT S/PDIF and the Airport express converts that into S/PDIF and jitter is added during that process somehow. Now how well it actually performs that task in relation to a "normal" to slink source is really a bit of a mystery. We don't know if Airport Express pumps out considerably more jitter than an average device or whether iFi really isn't equipped to be as robust as it could be. I currently do not have a CD player/transport with a Toslink output at my disposal to try out sadly.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,844 of 4,252
The W4S Remedy is not just a reclocker but a signal regenerator as well. Have you tried a different optical cable already and make sure any protective caps are off?  Make sure it is fully plugged in as well. Believe it or not I know of a few users that forget to remove the caps and the cable sort of worked.   Just trying to rule out a few simple things since I have no way to know what you did so far.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,845 of 4,252
  The W4S Remedy is not just a reclocker but a signal regenerator as well. Have you tried a different optical cable already and make sure any protective caps are off?  Make sure it is fully plugged in as well. Believe it or not I know of a few users that forget to remove the caps and the cable sort of worked.   Just trying to rule out a few simple things since I have no way to know what you did so far.

Sure. Things not plugged in or not switched on have been the cause of my audiophile gear-swapping problems more often than I like to admit  The first thing I checked were the connections. All checked out okay. All my TOSLINK cables are from Blue Jeans Cable and one from Audioquest (Cinnamon). Lengths are 1 - 1.5 m each which is probably nothing extraordinary. The two Airport Expresses are in slightly different locations and I plugged and unplugged things and made sure all cables were used. Also, the first occasion I tried it was just basically unplugging the optical cable from the back of the D1, fit the adaptor provided by iFi (uncapped) and just plugging it into the iDSD. So the only connection I messed with was the one I unplugged, capped and re-plugged.

So sadly, I think the Remedy solved it for me. But kindda didn't owning to its price… may be I'll give in at some point in the future. The Audio-gd solution is $99 cheaper, but it seems a much bigger box and has features I don't really need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back