iCAN micro SE – (thanks to Meze - you guys are great!) Things are a rockin.
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #571 of 600
I wanted to keep posting in this thread since I shot my mouth off about reported problems.

I got my unit tonight. I got a notice in the mail box and had to go up to the post office at 8:00 to grab my box. LOVE the headphones. Great sound, but the pads got pretty warm, pretty quick. Of course it was a warm day. Strong clamping pressure for my huge bean. Time will tell on that one.

I also got my iFi Micro iCAN SE. First time I have ever used a headphone amp.
Set up the power supply and was surprised that you have to "install" the prongs. Also surprised there was no ground prong. You usually only see that on small, low powered stuff like a shaver or a mustache trimmer.

Hooked it up and noticed no sparks and no static between songs. So, no red flags you start. Whew!

With gain set on zero, no bump that I could notice. Which I guess makes sense for 0? The middle setting offers a nice bump, but I had to set it at 10:00.
Noticed nothing with 3D or Base Boost, but I only used it for about 10 minutes.
MUCH more in depth testing this weekend. I am dedicating my entire birthday weekend to exploring these new arrivals.:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Shane D

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #572 of 600
I understand completely about the net magnifying problems. However, there were a lot of power issues and some grounding issues with this product going back more than a year. I would hope and expect those are all fixed now.

Shane D

Hi Shane

I am so sorry that you are having some issues. Can you please open a ticket onto our support system (http://support.ifi-audio.com)?

Many thanks

iFi audio Team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #573 of 600
Hi Shane

I am so sorry that you are having some issues. Can you please open a ticket onto our support system (http://support.ifi-audio.com)?

Many thanks

iFi audio Team

I'm not having any problems????

Hopefully I will never need any help. That is always the goal when we buy something new and shiny.:)

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #574 of 600
I'm not having any problems????

Hopefully I will never need any help. That is always the goal when we buy something new and shiny.:)

Shane D

hopefully you're not within a mile of anyone using a CB radio or you will get interference.

my unit is basically useless other than keeping paperwork in place on my desk. should've checked the for sale section I would've sold this POS dirt cheap.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #575 of 600
hopefully you're not within a mile of anyone using a CB radio or you will get interference.

my unit is basically useless other than keeping paperwork in place on my desk. should've checked the for sale section I would've sold this POS dirt cheap.
I didn't know people still used CB radios anymore, outside of truckers.

I only have about fifteen minutes on it so far. Spent the morning enjoying my 99 Classics which really don't need an amp with my DAP'S. I will get back on the amp train today and tomorrow.

Hopefully it continues to work well. My dealer has a 30 day return policy, so if I have a single problem, it's gone.

Shane D

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #576 of 600
Well, I have a new update. I tried using the amp in a different room with my Grado's. It did NOT go well. Lots of static, really loud when you unplug/change DAP'S and lots of noise if you touch a switch or even the case.

I have requested an RMA from my dealer for the amp. I will have to return my free gift and pay the shipping back, but it is worth it. I wonder how much of this nonsense is attributable to not having a grounded plug or an off switch?

So, in closing, the amp is a No-Go but I love the Meze 99 Classics. You win some, you lose some.

Shane D

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #577 of 600
I am one flip-flopping mofo. I hooked back up in my lazy boy with a different power bar and it works perfectly. REALLY fills out the iPod Classic. Changed to the Sony dap and noticed two things: 1) I had to drop the volume about 35% and 2) There are some very nasty noises when you unplug. I guess because it is basically a live wire?

Other than that it works great. I will really have to be careful with not damaging my hearing. It is too easy to jack it up and it sounds so good. But after a while you realize it is too loud. After it starts to hurt.:anguished:

I really wish it had an off switch. I will use the power bar on/off when possible although we use the usb ports on the bar to charge our phones.

Shane D

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #578 of 600
I am one flip-flopping mofo. I hooked back up in my lazy boy with a different power bar and it works perfectly. REALLY fills out the iPod Classic. Changed to the Sony dap and noticed two things: 1) I had to drop the volume about 35% and 2) There are some very nasty noises when you unplug. I guess because it is basically a live wire?

Other than that it works great. I will really have to be careful with not damaging my hearing. It is too easy to jack it up and it sounds so good. But after a while you realize it is too loud. After it starts to hurt.:anguished:

I really wish it had an off switch. I will use the power bar on/off when possible although we use the usb ports on the bar to charge our phones.

Shane D
What brand of power strip ended up working for you?

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #579 of 600
Nothing fancy, just a Noma power bar bought from a department store (Canadian Tire). The only thing of note is that it is fairly new. Less than two years old. I have been replacing power bars with newer ones that have USB ports for charging phones and daps.

Shane D

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #580 of 600
Nothing fancy, just a Noma power bar bought from a department store (Canadian Tire). The only thing of note is that it is fairly new. Less than two years old. I have been replacing power bars with newer ones that have USB ports for charging phones and daps.

Shane D

LMAO DUDE! I had the same one (probably just as old) and it was giving me problems with my iCAN SE! I upgraded to a nice Blue Diamond strip that has EMI/RFI filtering and now all I get is silence!

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #581 of 600

Shane D

I used this so that I could turn just the SE off https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCTGHNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side note I would return the SE then buy this. I bought the emotiva and it has zero static plus it has a 50W headphone output so that you can literally set your headphones on fire if you wanted to LOL
https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audi...e=UTF8&qid=1505750887&sr=8-3&keywords=emotiva

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #582 of 600
Well, I have a new update. I tried using the amp in a different room with my Grado's. It did NOT go well. Lots of static, really loud when you unplug/change DAP'S and lots of noise if you touch a switch or even the case.

I have requested an RMA from my dealer for the amp. I will have to return my free gift and pay the shipping back, but it is worth it. I wonder how much of this nonsense is attributable to not having a grounded plug or an off switch?

So, in closing, the amp is a No-Go but I love the Meze 99 Classics. You win some, you lose some.

Shane D

RMA usually means replacement for a defect. Are you just getting a refund? Also, 99 classics benefit from a good clean source, but don't need any amping, neither do your Grados. I'd suggest investing in something like the iDAC2 or a good portable player instead of an amplifier.

Shane D

I'm hoping you are following basic safety with this:
  1. Turn volume down
  2. Unplug headphones
  3. Turn off power
  4. Unplug any other wires
There is a good chance you have a ground issue, iFi will help you with that if you open a ticket. I've found different power strips can have different noise profiles, too.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #583 of 600
LMAO DUDE! I had the same one (probably just as old) and it was giving me problems with my iCAN SE! I upgraded to a nice Blue Diamond strip that has EMI/RFI filtering and now all I get is silence!

My Noma is working perfectly. I tried to use another bar that is Much older. Good quality but at least 15 years old. MANY nasty noises. I packed her up ready to ship and even requested an RMA from my dealer. Back sitting in my lazy boy I started to think "what if it was the power bar?" I unpacked it, and set her back up in my original power bar. Super quiet. I touched the buttons and the case: nothing. I then started tapping the switches and the case roughly: still nothing.

The Noma bar is like $20.00 at Canadian Tire, works perfect, charges my phones/daps and gives me an off switch.

Shane D

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #584 of 600
I used this so that I could turn just the SE off https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCTGHNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side note I would return the SE then buy this. I bought the emotiva and it has zero static plus it has a 50W headphone output so that you can literally set your headphones on fire if you wanted to LOL
https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audi...e=UTF8&qid=1505750887&sr=8-3&keywords=emotiva

Cool power bar but my little Noma seems to be doing fine.

Nice looking amp you got, but it looks HUGE. How big is it?

Shane D

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #585 of 600
RMA usually means replacement for a defect. Are you just getting a refund? Also, 99 classics benefit from a good clean source, but don't need any amping, neither do your Grados. I'd suggest investing in something like the iDAC2 or a good portable player instead of an amplifier.

I'm hoping you are following basic safety with this:
  1. Turn volume down
  2. Unplug headphones
  3. Turn off power
  4. Unplug any other wires
There is a good chance you have a ground issue, iFi will help you with that if you open a ticket. I've found different power strips can have different noise profiles, too.

Definitely a power bar thing. I will work on the safety thing. the bar will be turned off unless needed for charging or amping.
I think the Grado's might benefit from some of the special features of the amp.

I really bought it for my upcoming HD6XX.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back