iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Apr 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #571 of 658
  Bass on Low and 3D on High with dt880 is pretty good, sounds very natural, if I forget to switch them off, I didn't realise than I have some sound enhancement. 

That's nice to hear. Same for me. It's very natural with these features boosted. Like a different amp, rather than certain frequencies being pushed up. I used to be against in-built enhancements but I'm convinced this time at least. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #572 of 658

Trying in a few different albums but I'm not sure if I prefer it or not. Which of your many many headphones did you try this with please?

Also I notice you have an Auralic Taurus mk2, Have you compared it to the iCAN SE? 

My preference is actually the SE over the Taurus for nearly all the phones I have. The Taurus is unforgivingly transparent to the point of being clinical unless you have a tube stage in your dac or between the chain. Its forte is pinsharp accuracy and soundstage which casts a massive space that's wide and very deep, with instruments etched cleanly within that space. The SE soundstage is nearer to you and less deep (doubt many can be as deep as the Taurus). Width wise it feels wider when 3D is set to high. But the key reason I prefer it is because its very musical and enjoyable to listen to. So I'd say Taurus for critical listening and SE for music listening.

Pairing wise, HD800S is heavenly with the SE and dry with the Taurus. Difference is less for the LCD3 which comes with its own sonic fullness. My duoza (IEM) prefers the SE too cuz its more sensitive and dead quiet. The Grado, well, sounds like Grado cuz it's Grado.

You make some interesting observations some of which parallel my own. I have a Taurus in my main system which is for CD and Vinyl and also has a big tetrode powered amp and I use the HD800S (balanced) with this and the sound is glorious and imaging outstanding. I tried the iCAN SE in this system and it was much better then I expected and worryingly close in performance (compared in single ended mode) I still preferred the Taurus due to its wider and deeper sound stage, but I could see how you could choose the alternative.
I have an ifi Audio/PC system with an iDSD and iCAN SE and stuff for streaming and this uses my older HD800 and is great fun and actually gets close enough to my main system that it is now my main source of music on a daily basis although perhaps that's also partly due of the ease of use and the near unlimited catalogue of Tidal HiFi. 
It does make me wonder how good the new iCAN Pro will be and that's the biggest worry of all..................

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #573 of 658
Yes I know that feeling and like you I'm very worried, especially for my wallet.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #574 of 658
My first impression was that ifi was entry level gear and I rather spend more on 'better' gear to reduce my tendency to upgrade. But I changed my mind after using the iCan SE. Their gear holds their ground against big hitters.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #575 of 658
Yes my thoughts entirely. I have now ordered an Auralic Aries Mini to use with the ifi Audio system to give it an even better chance of producing yet higher Fi and so my very old wheezy laptop can go back to family email duties. I haven't seen much talk of this is the forums despite asking so it will be interesting to see if it does add anything or not.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #576 of 658
Yes my thoughts entirely. I have now ordered an Auralic Aries Mini to use with the ifi Audio system to give it an even better chance of producing yet higher Fi and so my very old wheezy laptop can go back to family email duties. I haven't seen much talk of this is the forums despite asking so it will be interesting to see if it does add anything or not.

What a coincidence. I'm looking for a source transport too. Isn't there a thread on Aries Mini? Quite a lots of reviews and impressions I think. Or maybe I read it on Computer Audiophile forum...

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #577 of 658
Yes but no feedback when I asked. I had been waiting to see if this MQA thing started with Tidal but I don't want to wait longer so hopeful that any MQAness can be added later by firmware or whatever it's called.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #578 of 658
They just launched the Altair. Basically Aries mini squished into a scaled down vega. Has MQA I think so ya maybe the firmware will come soon.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #579 of 658
The key to MQA to me would be getting it out to as wide an audiophile audience as possible and so I'd have expected a quicker marriage with Tidal. Otherwise if they don't move soon then it will be consigned to the "If only" pages of audio history alongside so many other great ideas.

So here's hoping......

Meantime I should get the Mini at the end of the month (Happy Birthday to me.etc etc) and I will be able to see what the results are.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #582 of 658
UPDATE. On power supply 15v for Special Edition

My dealer has told me IFI is supplying a 15v replacement power supply. Hopefully it will last a long time.
I purchased a 9v version of the ipower to use as a backup.

** the underbelly of the ican se was always warm when the 15? Was plugged in. Now with the 9v plugged in it isnt warm. Maybe a good sign!

I stay at 12db gain and volume about 11:00. If you have very demanding headphones or use the ican se on a speaker system....the 15v Would probably be required in my opinion.

Will update when 15v ipower comes in

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #584 of 658
For those that are interested..

When ifi says the sonic potential of the SE won't be realized withought the 15v, i think that wasn't just engineering talk.

At first i didnt notice but the 3d effect switch doesnt have nearly the same effect with the 9v ipower. The overal sound is still much better than the idsd micro but lacking presence and body. I only notice it in the mids and lower treble.

Ill wait for my 15v, hope its a good one, and regret spending money for a 9v ipower

Users who are viewing this thread

Back