iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Jun 9, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #422 of 658
Hi all!

I've just taken delivery of an iCAN Micro and trying to get my head round the gain switches (sorry, I'm slow....). 

From what I can gather the iCAN has 3 options (but 4 switches); 0db, 10b, 20b. I've looked at the diagram on the underside but not 100% sure I'm interpreting it correctly and wondered if someone could be kind enough to confirm for me?

Out of the box all 4 switches were set to the off position and I'm assuming this is the position required for 0db, whereas switches 1 & 2 set to on gives 20db (3 & 4 switched off)  and 3 & 4 set to on gives 10db (1 & 2 switched off)?

Seems quite a nicely put together amp but one thing I do notice is that the headphone jack socket feels very slightly 'wobbly' (a little bit of lateral movement). I think I read a similar obersvation in a review of the iDAC a while back so guessing this is normal and nothing to worry about? Certainly doesn't seem to affect things functionally. 

Thanks for any help!

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #423 of 658
  Hi all!

I've just taken delivery of an iCAN Micro and trying to get my head round the gain switches (sorry, I'm slow....). 

From what I can gather the iCAN has 3 options (but 4 switches); 0db, 10b, 20b. I've looked at the diagram on the underside but not 100% sure I'm interpreting it correctly and wondered if someone could be kind enough to confirm for me?

Out of the box all 4 switches were set to the off position and I'm assuming this is the position required for 0db, whereas switches 1 & 2 set to on gives 20db (3 & 4 switched off)  and 3 & 4 set to on gives 10db (1 & 2 switched off)?

Seems quite a nicely put together amp but one thing I do notice is that the headphone jack socket feels very slightly 'wobbly' (a little bit of lateral movement). I think I read a similar obersvation in a review of the iDAC a while back so guessing this is normal and nothing to worry about? Certainly doesn't seem to affect things functionally. 

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

You are right with the gain switches. It works as you described.
The headphone jack is indeed a bit wobbly... I have not noticed this before, but I do not consider it an issue.

Enjoy your iCan! :wink:

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #424 of 658
  Hi,

You are right with the gain switches. It works as you described.
The headphone jack is indeed a bit wobbly... I have not noticed this before, but I do not consider it an issue.

Enjoy your iCan! :wink:

Thanks & based on very early impressions I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it!

I thought that was probably the case with the gain switches but worth checking as I've only had to deal with a single switch between low & high before now  
wink.gif

Thanks also for putting my mind at ease about the jack wobble. It is very minor and more a finish thing rather than anything that could be considered an issue. Looks like there is a very small difference in size between the jack and the hole in the casing it slots into, so definitely not something that can worsen with time. 

Cheers again!

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #425 of 658
Unfortunately my iCan has reached its limit when I recently bought an iFi iDac to pair with it. The 3D effect combined with the iDac made the music sound like it had waaay too much soundstage. With 3D off,the amp sounded lifeless.

The iDac is much more useful to me than the iCan for the time being with my old NAD receiver\iDac combo sounding better than the iCan\iDac combo.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #427 of 658
How does Ican comapre to Bottelhead Crack???
Also many have been using HD650 & Beyer T1 with Ican & the same are also well suited with Crack.

So a comparision shall be there :)

Bottelhead Crack should be more compared to itube, i dont own any Crack, but i do own an ican and an itube in a chain, and i can say that the HD650 pairs well with both but better with tubes.
It takes the capabilities of it to next
level.

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #428 of 658
Perhaps because you are confusing the micro iCAN ($250) with the micro iDSD ($500)?

I haven't heard the ZO so can't comment on it but the iCAN is stupendous value for money and will give long term satisfaction. It will always step up as you upgrade your 'phones. It's beyond amazing with T1's.

What Gain setting you are using for Ican with the T1's???

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #429 of 658
Perhaps because you are confusing the micro iCAN ($250) with the micro iDSD ($500)?

I haven't heard the ZO so can't comment on it but the iCAN is stupendous value for money and will give long term satisfaction. It will always step up as you upgrade your 'phones. It's beyond amazing with T1's.

What Gain setting you are using for Ican with the T1's???

My original iCAN did not have gain controls. I use it with a pair of Rothwell attenuators. I think they are 10 dB.

My second, later iCAN has gain controls. I set them to 0 dB for the T1.

As I've said often to the power crazy loons on the T1 thread, I find 2 Volts is more than enough to get the T1 playing very loud.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #430 of 658
  Hi all!

Thanks for any help!

I have also received my Ican 2 days back but my interpretaions for Gain Switches are different . Please correct if am wrong and some queries to :

Acc. to small diagram made at the back of Ican : 
1) 0 db all four switches are off.
2)For 10 db - 3 & 4 switches on .
3)For 20db - all four to be on .

Now also one question comes that what will be with if 1 & 2 are "on" & 3/4 are "off". ???

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #431 of 658
  I have also received my Ican 2 days back but my interpretaions for Gain Switches are different . Please correct if am wrong and some queries to :

Acc. to small diagram made at the back of Ican : 
1) 0 db all four switches are off.
2)For 10 db - 3 & 4 switches on .
3)For 20db - all four to be on .

Now also one question comes that what will be with if 1 & 2 are "on" & 3/4 are "off". ???

Your interpretation is correct.

The clear plastic feet had been applied before I'd looked at the gain settings and one was partially obscuring the 1 & 2 symbols under 20db on the diagram. Peering through the plastic I initially thought the symbols that were printed were 'dashes' (off) but after a look at some pics online it was clear they are in fact 'dots' (on). So for 20dB gain all 4 switches need to be set to 'on' as you say.

Haven't tried using the gain switches other than as prescribed so not sure what would happen if you were to set them differently. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #432 of 658
Guys has anyone tried iCan with iPower?

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #433 of 658
Hi everyone,
I know this thread might not be alive any more, but I´ll give it a shot.
I´ve just got  the iCan micro and so far I´ve been pretty happy with it. I´m wondering, though, about what impedance headphones I can use easily, with enough authority, drive with it. Specifically, I´m now debating whether to get a Beyer DT 880 the 250Ohm version, or rather, the 600 Ohm version, which is supposed to be the one that offers the best sound quality overall in the DT 880 line.
Is anyone using the iCan with 600 ohm phones and, if so,  what are the impressions ?
Thanks a lot​​​ for a reply
Ivan
´

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #434 of 658
Hi everyone,
I know this thread might not be alive any more, but I´ll give it a shot.

I´ve just got  the iCan micro and so far I´ve been pretty happy with it. I´m wondering, though, about what impedance headphones I can use easily, with enough authority, drive with it. Specifically, I´m now debating whether to get a Beyer DT 880 the 250Ohm version, or rather, the 600 Ohm version, which is supposed to be the one that offers the best sound quality overall in the DT 880 line.
Is anyone using the iCan with 600 ohm phones and, if so,  what are the impressions ?

Thanks a lot​​​ for a reply
Ivan

´

The micro iCAN has plenty of drive for the DT880/600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back