Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #391 of 468
Btw. when using line-out with the SP3k to the PB5, what is the max voltage I should use? Or just go with the lowest available?
You need to stay under 2.5V, according to ibasso specs.

I am looking forward to using the PB5 with my SP3K. I hope I will get it back from repair soon.

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #392 of 468
You need to stay under 2.5V, according to ibasso specs.

I am looking forward to using the PB5 with my SP3K. I hope I will get it back from repair soon.
Great to know, thank you @MatW

Which device is out for repair? PB5 or SP3k? And why?

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #393 of 468
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #394 of 468
The SP3K. Because DAR did not work on my device.
I think I remember from the SP3000 thread. Hope you’ll get it back soon!

I will receive my D16/PB5 stack mid/end next week. I’m also looking forward to listening to this set of devices!!

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #395 of 468
I finally found away to carry this whole stack without removing IC cables
IMG_1893.jpegIMG_1895.jpeg
IMG_1896.jpeg

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #396 of 468
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #397 of 468
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #398 of 468
Interesting. I found that the Bass became more linear after about 50 hours. You seemed to spend too much time moaning about the supplied 4.4 connectors and the non ability to fast charge. All a bit meh and a 3 out of 10 as a review overall.
I wrote ONE setence on the 4.4 connectors being too big and one paragraph about the charging. I think its worthwhile to mention to people interested in the product about some downsides and not* just be 100% rosy about something. I still gave the product 5/5 on HeadFi.

Also interesting that you also don't even use the included cables either.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #399 of 468
I wrote ONE setence on the 4.4 connectors being too big and one paragraph about the charging. I think its worthwhile to mention to people interested in the product about some downsides and just be 100% rosy about something. I still gave the product 5/5 on HeadFi.

Yes but you didn't say much about the overall sound signature or the PB5's amazing power output. It's ability to drive quite demanding headphones such as the Hifiman HE1000V2 non stealth to its full potential is nothing short of astonishing for a portable device. In fact, the PB5 surpasses the performance of many desktop solutions. You also didn't mention that the PB5 doesn't play nicely with some IEM's, especially some that are warmer or sub Bass focused

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #400 of 468
Yes but you didn't say much about the overall sound signature or the PB5's amazing power output. It's ability to drive quite demanding headphones such as the Hifiman HE1000V2 non stealth to its full potential is nothing short of astonishing for a portable device. In fact, the PB5 surpasses the performance of many desktop solutions. You also didn't mention that the PB5 doesn't play nicely with some IEM's, especially some that are warmer or sub Bass focused
Yes, i actually did cover it:

Sound Signature:
It's not just a bass quantity boost though. The amplifier also added a more 3D holographic space and with a touch of additional upper treble air.

Bassier IEMs/Headphones:
Adding this extra layer of bass and imaging may not work with all headphones and IEMs. With the already bassier Sony MDR-MV1 headphones, I didn't necessarily feel like it added much, and only made the bass levels more than necessary. With the Unique Melody MEST MK3 IEMs, I felt the darker tonality was heightened with the PB5 amp and it's already forward soundstage made smaller for some reason.

On discussing it with a hard to drive headphone:
I didn't cover pairing it with my Hifiman Susvara, I'll give you that, but I dont plan on taking my Susvara out traveling with me, and use it at home with my desktop amp. I covered this review from the use case of a portable transportable player.

But I talk about the Subtonic Storm, which has a sensitivity rating that is the same level as Susvara and a low impedance rating. It's a hard to drive IEM.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #401 of 468
Yes, i actually did cover it:

Sound Signature:
It's not just a bass quantity boost though. The amplifier also added a more 3D holographic space and with a touch of additional upper treble air.

Bassier IEMs/Headphones:
Adding this extra layer of bass and imaging may not work with all headphones and IEMs. With the already bassier Sony MDR-MV1 headphones, I didn't necessarily feel like it added much, and only made the bass levels more than necessary. With the Unique Melody MEST MK3 IEMs, I felt the darker tonality was heightened with the PB5 amp and it's already forward soundstage made smaller for some reason.

On discussing it with a hard to drive headphone:
I didn't cover pairing it with my Hifiman Susvara, I'll give you that, but I dont plan on taking my Susvara out traveling with me, and use it at home with my desktop amp. I covered this review from the use case of a portable transportable player.

But I talk about the Subtonic Storm, which has a sensitivity rating that is the same level as Susvara and a low impedance rating. It's a hard to drive IEM.

I said quite demanding headphones and now you are mentioning hard to drive headphones such as the Susvara?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #402 of 468
I said quite demanding headphones and now you are mentioning hard to drive headphones such as the Susvara? And what does the sensitivity of the Subtonic Storm being similar have to do with it?

This is looking more like I own a Susvara and a Subtonic Storm review than a PB5 review.
I have an idea. You write a review!

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #403 of 468
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #404 of 468
Apr 7, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #405 of 468
Whoa! Offended just because of someone reviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back