iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Feb 25, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,337 of 3,079
Not sure but 500 pretty much covers everything...

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,338 of 3,079
I decided to give my IT01 to a friend as a gift. They just weren't for me. Though I did love everything about them except the bass, it was just too much and distracted heavily from the rest of the spectrum.

Does anyone know of a more analytical IEM similar to the IT01? Not opposed to spending more if I get the sound that I want. For reference, the Head-Direct RE0 is closer to the overall sound I want. Though the IT01 does have a more detailed midrange. That might give you an idea of what I want.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,339 of 3,079
Wow, first negative comment to my eyes - source gear + wrong tips + little "burn-in" + personal preference mismatch?
Well, everything isn`t for everybody. We all hear different.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,340 of 3,079
Wow, first negative comment to my eyes - source gear + wrong tips + little "burn-in" + personal preference mismatch?
Well, everything isn`t for everybody. We all hear different.
I tried several different tips and sources, same result with each. Out of the headphone jack or line out into my RSA Tomahawk. It's just the way they're tuned. Too much towards the low end.

I'm not a burn in believer, personally. Never heard it change a headphone, despite owning dozens of new headphones over the past 10 years.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,342 of 3,079
I tried several different tips and sources, same result with each. Out of the headphone jack or line out into my RSA Tomahawk. It's just the way they're tuned. Too much towards the low end.

I'm not a burn in believer, personally. Never heard it change a headphone, despite owning dozens of new headphones over the past 10 years.

Given that the reason you don't like them is their defining characteristic, I don't think any manner of tip-rolling, source-swapping, or burn-in is going to make you like them. As you said, it's just the way they're tuned.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,343 of 3,079
I decided to give my IT01 to a friend as a gift. They just weren't for me. Though I did love everything about them except the bass, it was just too much and distracted heavily from the rest of the spectrum.

Does anyone know of a more analytical IEM similar to the IT01? Not opposed to spending more if I get the sound that I want. For reference, the Head-Direct RE0 is closer to the overall sound I want. Though the IT01 does have a more detailed midrange. That might give you an idea of what I want.
Believe in or not, burn in with the IT01 happens. I have heard it and compared a new IT01 to one with a few hundred hours. The bass decreases and the sound is very even. Out of the box the IT01 had too much bass for me, after a few hundred hours they do the music justice, and again, I have compared new to burned in.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #1,344 of 3,079
Given that the reason you don't like them is their defining characteristic, I don't think any manner of tip-rolling, source-swapping, or burn-in is going to make you like them. As you said, it's just the way they're tuned.
Yes, agreed. Nothing against these iems at all, they really are good. Just not in line with my taste. I think my friend will love them though.

I knew I was taking a chance on them given their reviews. But I wasn’t quite prepared for how bass heavy they are. I think more reviewers should emphasize this more.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,346 of 3,079
Yes, agreed. Nothing against these iems at all, they really are good. Just not in line with my taste. I think my friend will love them though.

I knew I was taking a chance on them given their reviews. But I wasn’t quite prepared for how bass heavy they are. I think more reviewers should emphasize this more.

Definitely. I think they are more accurately called L-shaped than V-shaped. They have some seriously whompin' bass and it's not accompanied by an emphasized treble. They even exceed all my other basshead IEMs in bass quantity. Certainly not an earphone that will suit everyone.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,348 of 3,079
Definitely. I think they are more accurately called L-shaped than V-shaped. They have some seriously whompin' bass and it's not accompanied by an emphasized treble. They even exceed all my other basshead IEMs in bass quantity. Certainly not an earphone that will suit everyone.
Yeah, good point. I’d say the mids and treble are more or less in line with each other. Maybe just a hair more emphasis on treble but barely worth mentioning. The mids are so clean and detailed, definitely their best trait. Hoping to find an iem with mids that are just as good with a neutral frequency response, someday.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,349 of 3,079
By chance, are you affiliated with iBasso? Just curious. :)
I used to be asked that about RSA because I really liked Ray's offerings. Then Woo Audio because I did some reviews and offered modifications (I didn't do them, just showed what I did). Then HiFiman because I have visited with Fang at his factory in China and have a lot of his products. etc. etc. Oh, and when Xin was making amps and I used to visit with him at his home. Nope, I just buy a lot of equipment and know what I like and what I hear from years of experience.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,350 of 3,079

I'd suggest looking at the Brainwavz B400 (or even B200 if that's what you can afford), Mee Audio Pinnacle P1, P2 or most likely I think you'd prefer the Massdrop PX version, the LZ A4 with its separate tuning filters should get you a profile you'd like although some folks have fitment issues, MaGaosi K3 Pro, possibly the Kinera H3. There's a under $100 Chi-Fi IEM thread that you can look at for other options although the thread really concentrates on the < $50 range. There's a fledgling best $100 - $200 Chi-Fi thread also.

I'd suggest re-asking your question on the under $100 thread. You might be pleasantly surprised by some of the suggestions you get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back