Ibasso DX80
Jan 15, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,096 of 1,208

You heard right. I've just tried inserting one 128GB and one 32GB card, and it only detected the card in Slot 1 (128GB).
That's really dumb, but I'm sure they will fix it in the firmware update ASAP if they don't want to see a million angry e-mails.

There are lots of minor bugs they need to address, but this one is a major one.

You could be right. There is definitely something wrong with the way DX80 handles the SD cards.
I tried Sandisk 128GB formatted with Fiio, Windows exFAT and Macintosh FAT32, and in all cases the music files show up and plays songs, but scanning fails (I just placed one album with 6 songs, and DX80 only detected 1 out of 6 songs in the scanning).

Also, DX80 connected to PC as "storage" mode shows 32GB card fine, but fails to show 128GB card (both on Slot 1), irrespestive of FAT32 or exFAT.
Once the scan fails once, it fails every subsequent time (even on 32GB card, it crashes scanning half-way through, followed by a loud relay "click"), and nothing gets updated until I do a Factory Reset (which I've done many times already).

e.g. I have this bizarre repeatable bug where upon factory reset, the system asks me to rescan the 32GB SD card. When I say YES, it freezes at 63% and needs hard reset. When I say NO, and then do a manual scan later, it completes 100% and everything is well.

Overall, DX80 simply seems picky on SD card reading, and crashes with slightest of errors, rather than handling them gracefully. I just want to know a sure way of getting it to work, which I'm sure everyone else would benefit.

Hey !

I have just spoted this post and I have exactly the same issue with my FAT32 Sandisk 128g (I first thought it was linked with a tagging problem). I am using FW 1.2.1 and I have this odd bug : "it crashes scanning half-way through, followed by a loud relay "click" ".

Do you guys have some fix for this bug ?

Regards,

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,097 of 1,208

Hey !

I have just spoted this post and I have exactly the same issue with my FAT32 Sandisk 128g (I first thought it was linked with a tagging problem). I am using FW 1.2.1 and I have this odd bug : "it crashes scanning half-way through, followed by a loud relay "click" ".

Do you guys have some fix for this bug ?

Regards,

Was the 128gb card working before 1.2.1 firmware update? If so you can try deleting the folder DX80 creates on your micro sd card then rescanning your library. Also, I'm not sure if this bug was fixed, at one stage the auto shutdown timer could interfere with scans (meaning it would shut down the player mid scan).

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,098 of 1,208
No it wasn't working with the 1.1.4 FW and I did switch off the auto shotdown timer in the settings. Nevertheless, with my 16gb Sandisk sd it was working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I didn't note the percentage when the scanning process crashed and the amount of go used on my 128 sd card. Could it crash because i am scanning more than N gb ?

I have only tried with a FAT32 encoding. Should I try with another encoding ?
In add, the " loud relay "click" " is quite strange...

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,099 of 1,208
  No it wasn't working with the 1.1.4 FW and I did switch off the auto shotdown timer in the settings. Nevertheless, with my 16gb Sandisk sd it was working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I didn't note the percentage when the scanning process crashed and the amount of go used on my 128 sd card. Could it crash because i am scanning more than N gb ?

I have only tried with a FAT32 encoding. Should I try with another encoding ?
In add, the " loud relay "click" " is quite strange...

My hunch is there's a file somewhere on your card which is causing the scan to fail and lock up, maybe tag related. Ultimately this is DX80s error and unfortunately, I don't have anything to offer in the way of fixing it besides tracking down the file. How about you format the card to exFat then see if it helps. I would also try loading  only half your files at first to see if the scan completes, then continue.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,100 of 1,208
Thanks for your advice, I will try to format my sd card in axFat and see.

I don't think it is a file related problem because when I add the "unscanned" track manually (Directory > SD card 1 > ... > unscanned file), it scans the current repository and everything works fine.

However, I will try your tip and try loading only parts of my files.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,101 of 1,208
Just a few raw, yet unedited pictures of the DIGNIS FOVEO leather case (Camel colour) for the DX80 

​
Beautiful, isn't it? Really soft, high quality premium leather case. Sits tight and securely on the DAP, just like a second skin.
Nice soft, smooth surface.

More (pitures, impressions, comparisons) to come in some days.​

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,103 of 1,208
Hi Paul,
I can not be fully charged batteries. While about 75% of the full circle in the picture, the screen looks 98% state of charge and writes a minute later charged. What should I do?

Have you cycled the DX80? Discharged and then fully charged it?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 17, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,105 of 1,208
Yes, I've done it a few times, does not exceed 8-9 hours of battery life.

Does the screen that you showed indicated a full charge at any time? Does it turn green? What type of music files? Hi resolution will not get the full 12 hours but lossless should depending upon how much the screen is used and how bright it is. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,107 of 1,208
So my fellow headfier's. I am considering the DX80 to replace my much loved original X3. I do have an oppo HA-2 paired with a Galaxy S3 so my question is how will the DX80 perform against the latter. Sometimes having a brick is a pain in the butt. Obviously it will out perform the FIIO X3 but if there is not a major improvement over my oppo stack I won't do it. I will put up with it. Only willing to spend if it gives me a noticeable improvement.

Cheers.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #1,108 of 1,208
Does the screen that you showed indicated a full charge at any time? Does it turn green? What type of music files? Hi resolution will not get the full 12 hours but lossless should depending upon how much the screen is used and how bright it is. 

Yes, charging animation indicates full charge but no green. All of my music is lossless (alac and flac), not hi-res. Brightness is about %40 (sorry for bad english)

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,109 of 1,208
Yes, charging animation indicates full charge but no green. All of my music is lossless (alac and flac), not hi-res. Brightness is about %40 (sorry for bad english)

It is in grey showing charged as your indicates which is correct.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,110 of 1,208
Just some extracts from my DIGNIS FOVEO leather case for the DX80 review (the whole thing can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dignis-foveo-case-for-ibasso-dx80/reviews/15036):

​
Preamble:

[...] One of their latest products is the FOVEO case (http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=112) for the iBasso DX80, a really nice case that I will take a look at in this review. It is available in four different colours (Camel, Dark Brown, Black and Red), I got the Camel coloured case.
The price directly from DIGNIS is 48000 KRW (~ $40) plus shipping. [...]

Ordering:

International customers are also very welcome at DIGNIS. For ordering, you just need to send an e-mail to dignisdesign@gmail.com, the payment can be fulfilled using PayPal. Shipping with EMS is usually very fast with three to five days, regular shipping is around two weeks.

Unboxing, Delivery Content:

[...]

[...]  [...] 

Looks:

The FOVEO case is manufactured of two pieces, namely a large, precisely cut and folded piece of leather for the upper as well as a piece of squared leather for the back part which has the DIGNIS sign and logo stamped in. Both pieces are nicely and very evenly stitched together with colour-matched strand. The leather’s subtle structure is still nicely visible. [...]

[...]  [...] 

Build Quality:

The handmade case’s leather is of very good premium quality and feels valuable as well as smooth and DX80’s shape has been precisely adopted. [...]
The surface feels pleasantly soft; front, back and bottom are quite stiff and reinforced to provide good protection. The stitching on the back appears valuable, too; inside, the case is softly cushioned. [...]

Right from the first contact with the case, one can see and feel that it is a valuably made premium product.

[...]

Accuracy of Fit, Operation, Daily Use:

The FOVEO case sits firmly and securely on the DAP, like a second skin.
[...] With the two volume buttons on the right side, [tactility] is a bit more difficult with “blind” operation, compared to the silicone case where the side buttons are easier tactile.
The three buttons for playback control on the front however are better tactile and feel better when being pressed on the DIGNIs case than on the silicone case. [...]

[...]  [...] 

Protection:

The DAP sits firmly and securely in the case and will therefore never accidentally slip out, regardless in which situation. [...]

[...]

Conclusion:

[...]
Who is looking for a more valuable alternative to iBasso’s silicone case finds a premium product with DIGNIS’ FOVEO case.
However, there are some things where the FOVEO falls slightly behind the silicone case: the volume buttons are harder to “blindly” distinguish (quite similar to the DX80 without a case), [...]

90% or 4.5 out of 5 stars [...]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back