iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 16, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,741 of 6,795
My Ibasso DX80 has arrived and straight from the box it sounds impressive. It's my first audiophile DAC, as my main source was Sansa's Clip Zip, and I'm happy with it. I'm enjoying with the digital filter's slow setting.

However main concern is that it's bulky and heavy! it is truly a DAC filled with goodiness. Edit: more importantly, I love how sensitive the volume is - it has more increments than the Clip zip rockboxed - so I can finely tune the volume to my sweet spot even better.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #4,742 of 6,795
Its a nice player but should be cheaper because of problems. All its fuss and hassle its not worth the almost 400 price tag in Europe. It´s too expensive for this player. So we expect it won´t give problems. iBasso should have limited price like Cayin brand. If its 359 dollar in China, it should be 318 Euros, not 389 as many sellers are selling it. And don´t talk about taxes, I don't care about it, price should already include taxes wherever it is sold. Mine's gone back, not worth the 400 Euro price tag IMO. But if I find one for 230 Euros I might buy it again just for the relaxed sound and digital transport.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #4,744 of 6,795
DX80 retail price still high in my country, about US$440 
redface.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #4,749 of 6,795
I recently purchased the DX80 after my iPod Classic broke down and have been using it for a bit.
First of all, I have to say the sound quality on this is excellent. I cannot get enough of the DX80 + my Etymotic ER4PTs. I lack the vocabulary to describe the sound in detail, but I do have some thoughts/requests on the software.
  1. Some extra tag support would be appreciated
    1. Play count and ratings: Very useful for managing large libraries
    2. Playback progress: Kind of essential for long podcasts
  2. The play and next/previous buttons on the now playing screen seems pretty redundant when the device has hardware buttons.
  3. Some sort of "see more from this artist/album" feature. Maybe the ability to link to the directory where the song is from the Song info screen.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #4,750 of 6,795
Ya know, reading these pages for the last few months, it's pretty safe to say that the DX80 rocks the snot out of just about every single pair of high impedance iems (above 50 Ohms)

I'm looking forward to getting my pair of RE-00 and plugging them into my DX80. It should make for an awesome pairing.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #4,753 of 6,795
Yeah, the DX80 has got a really powerful output that can also drive more demanding full-sized headphones with authority and great control.
And nonetheless it has got a super fine-grained volume control that also allows for very quiet listening, which I find very nice.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #4,754 of 6,795
Hey guys. So my library is rapidly expanding (since my full scale conversion to ALAC) and I am now in the market for a DAP. Just looking at something middle of the range, and the dx80 looks perfect.

It will be used primarily for portable use so absolute sound quality is not my major concern. The main thing I wanted to know was in terms of the UI. Is it laggy at all? Is it fast to play songs and navigate? And is there a search function within the songs/albums/artists? There are very few videos of it and I have not been able to see one, so hopefully a few of you can help me out on here. 

Help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #4,755 of 6,795
  The main thing I wanted to know was in terms of the UI. Is it laggy at all?

No, it isn't. It is quite responsive and easy to navigate. Not as fast as an iPhone/iPod/Luxury & Precision L3, but definitely faster than the Cowon Plenue D I used to have. There is no lag whatsoever, if you are referring to that, and I find the UI pretty great (which is a subjective thing though).

Is it fast to play songs and navigate?

Yes, it is. After boot, it takes ~ 3 seconds until the UI is "ready", but then navigation and input are without any noticeable delay.

And is there a search function within the songs/albums/artists?

Unfortunately not. A search function would have been great though. What I recommend is having a good folder structure and using the folder browse mode instead of the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back