iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 25, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #721 of 6,795
So after a couple days with the DX80.... So far I am really please, much preferred over over the FiiO X5II and AK Jr. Just recently sent the FiiO X5II back so sound is still pretty fresh in my mind. I really liked the sound and build quality of the FiiO X5II. I've always been a big fan of FiiO products and if the DX80 had not come along I would probably still be rocking the X5II. I think the sound of the DX80 provides better extension of the low and high frequencies and provides a better soundstage. I much prefer the touch controls, physical buttons, and UI of the DX80 over the X5II. I have never been a big fan of FiiO's physical scroll wheel and have always felt that would be a point of failure. One thing I did prefer the X5II over the DX80 is that music scan performed much quicker on the X5II than on the DX80 (less than 10 minutes with the X5II vs about 26 minutes on the DX80 scanning about 5500 files).

Now it's been a couple months since I've had the AK Jr, but right off the bat, having the dual SD card slots on the DX80 is a much improvement of the single of the AK Jr. I like to have my entire music library on my device and the DX80 gives me plenty of storage space using (2) 128gb microSD cards with plenty of room to add plenty more music. With the AK Jr I could barely store all my music and definitely could not fit any more. Sound wise both units were comparable (best that I can remember), however I believe the DX80 provides a little better soundstage and instrument separation. I have not experienced any lag or sluggishness with the DX80, but I did with the a bit with the AK Jr, but never enough to complain about (keep in mind I have a little over 5500 FLAC files on the DX80 and had about 5300 on the AK Jr). Again I have no problems getting to my music library from the 'My Music' screen whether I'm accessing it through 'Album' or 'Artist' view. And scrolling is very smooth and fluid. Now I'm not saying its perfect, but it is very good. Just don't try to compare against navigating a new smartphone, because the DX80 does not have near the processing power of new smartphones.

I've read some here on the DX80 threads experiencing issues with udating firmware and media scanning. I have not had any issues. I use a blank 4gb microSD card to load the update file. FW1.1.4 is successfully loaded on my DX80. I have also not experienced any issues with media scanning; now this may be due to the fact that I have an extremely clean music library. What I mean is that my files are all FLAC and a few AIF; all album art is JPEG embedded in the music file, and all tags have been accomplished using MP3Tag. There are no other file types in my music library.

I also do not hear any hiss, except for certain tracks (which I believe is the result of the recording). None of my 24bit files have any hiss.

The past 2 days I've been listening to the DX80 through Audio-Technica ATH-IM03 (which are posted in the For Sale/Trade section, if anyone is interested). With the IM03 IEM's I have not heard the so-called 'Thump'/'Blob'. However, today I have received my Shure SE535, which will be replacing the ATH-IM03 and I do faintly hear a slight thump, only when un-pausing a track. It is very faint and definitely not painful or an annoyance. I don't hear it when skipping tracks forward or back and I don't hear it when I pause a track, only resuming it and it does not happen on all tracks. Again with the SE535 IEM's I hear no hiss, only on the same tracks that I heard with the IM03's.

Anyways, that's my brief review of the DX80. I am really happy with it and believe that it is a keeper until I get tire of it and want something else, LOL

It really is a great DAP! Highly recommend!!!!

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #722 of 6,795
So after a couple days with the DX80.... So far I am really please, much preferred over over the FiiO X5II and AK Jr. Just recently sent the FiiO X5II back so sound is still pretty fresh in my mind. I really liked the sound and build quality of the FiiO X5II. I've always been a big fan of FiiO products and if the DX80 had not come along I would probably still be rocking the X5II. I think the sound of the DX80 provides better extension of the low and high frequencies and provides a better soundstage. I much prefer the touch controls, physical buttons, and UI of the DX80 over the X5II. I have never been a big fan of FiiO's physical scroll wheel and have always felt that would be a point of failure. One thing I did prefer the X5II over the DX80 is that music scan performed much quicker on the X5II than on the DX80 (less than 10 minutes with the X5II vs about 26 minutes on the DX80 scanning about 5500 files).

Now it's been a couple months since I've had the AK Jr, but right off the bat, having the dual SD card slots on the DX80 is a much improvement of the single of the AK Jr. I like to have my entire music library on my device and the DX80 gives me plenty of storage space using (2) 128gb microSD cards with plenty of room to add plenty more music. With the AK Jr I could barely store all my music and definitely could not fit any more. Sound wise both units were comparable (best that I can remember), however I believe the DX80 provides a little better soundstage and instrument separation. I have not experienced any lag or sluggishness with the DX80, but I did with the a bit with the AK Jr, but never enough to complain about (keep in mind I have a little over 5500 FLAC files on the DX80 and had about 5300 on the AK Jr). Again I have no problems getting to my music library from the 'My Music' screen whether I'm accessing it through 'Album' or 'Artist' view. And scrolling is very smooth and fluid. Now I'm not saying its perfect, but it is very good. Just don't try to compare against navigating a new smartphone, because the DX80 does not have near the processing power of new smartphones.

I've read some here on the DX80 threads experiencing issues with udating firmware and media scanning. I have not had any issues. I use a blank 4gb microSD card to load the update file. FW1.1.4 is successfully loaded on my DX80. I have also not experienced any issues with media scanning; now this may be due to the fact that I have an extremely clean music library. What I mean is that my files are all FLAC and a few AIF; all album art is JPEG embedded in the music file, and all tags have been accomplished using MP3Tag. There are no other file types in my music library.

I also do not hear any hiss, except for certain tracks (which I believe is the result of the recording). None of my 24bit files have any hiss.

The past 2 days I've been listening to the DX80 through Audio-Technica ATH-IM03 (which are posted in the For Sale/Trade section, if anyone is interested). With the IM03 IEM's I have not heard the so-called 'Thump'/'Blob'. However, today I have received my Shure SE535, which will be replacing the ATH-IM03 and I do faintly hear a slight thump, only when un-pausing a track. It is very faint and definitely not painful or an annoyance. I don't hear it when skipping tracks forward or back and I don't hear it when I pause a track, only resuming it and it does not happen on all tracks. Again with the SE535 IEM's I hear no hiss, only on the same tracks that I heard with the IM03's.

Anyways, that's my brief review of the DX80. I am really happy with it and believe that it is a keeper until I get tire of it and want something else, LOL

It really is a great DAP! Highly recommend!!!!

Good impressions!

I also found myself not really enjoy using the X5II physical controls and much preferred the DX80.  I also enjoy it more than my AK Jr both in tonality and UI (the Jr definitely has a bit of lag).  The awesome sound quality, dual microSD card slots, great battery life, good enough touchscreen, and most importantly the cheap price makes most of us here posting a huge fan of the DX80.

That is not to say that the DX80 is a perfect DAP.  I am sure other DAP's have a cleaner output (less noisy), less buggy UI, and is more user-friendly (no need to have clean tags, actually having M3U playlist support, etc) but I still think it's a fantastic value since it ticks so many boxes for me.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #723 of 6,795
The only time I hear the thump (pressure) noise is on boot up for a split second, just as the internal amp switches on. I don't hear anything between tracks, skipping tracks or changing albums etc. I'll add every file I use is 16/44 FLAC. No MP3, no other formats.

That's good to hear. Do you think that the SD card that I use with the Fiio X3 will work with the DX80? I'd love to just be able to pop that baby in and start listening.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #724 of 6,795
  That's good to hear. Do you think that the SD card that I use with the Fiio X3 will work with the DX80? I'd love to just be able to pop that baby in and start listening.

I use the same cards for all of the daps I have with no issues. You can see the daps I have in my signature, well most of them. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #725 of 6,795
  Speaking of "odd" - if I grip my Grado cable with both hands, the hiss goes away.

The Grados do not hiss on my Audioengine D1, not my Creative Labs X-Fi box, nor my NAD amp. Just on the DX80.

It's driving me nuts, since I like the sound of the Grado far better than the Klipsch earbuds.

If anyone is experiencing a hiss that is changed by manipulating the headphone cable, I believe this is not typical of a properly working DX80.  My unit experienced a moderate hiss mostly in the right channel with only one of my headphones.  This headphone worked fine in every other source and I could make the hiss increase/decrease upon moving the cable around or twisting the jack.  The hiss was always there, play or pause, and at the same intensity regardless of volume level or gain.  I was especially perplexed as my JH-13's did not reveal this hiss.  I began to suspect there was an issue with my DX80 that was being revealed by the specific impedance of the headphone showing the problem (an ESW9LTD and to a much lesser extent the ESW9).

iBasso sent a replacement DX80 which does not show this issue at all, and I find the unit to have a blissfully black background.  I'm not sure if this is a shielding issue or something else, but I recommend you connect with the iBasso folks to sort it out if you are experiencing this. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #729 of 6,795
Can anyone make some definitive statements D=about the amp quality in the DX80 especially in regard to driving full-size cans??
YMMV, but I tried DX80 with Sennheiser 280-13 (300 Ohm version). Volume level 117 out of 150 was enough, 150 - much too loud. Enough, I mean, not only loud, but very good sound, as good as applicable to these headphones.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #731 of 6,795
For the album art display re-sampling,
is it possible make it use at least bilinear,
or use Bicubic would be much better.
some of the album art are in low resolution, the display will become very ugly.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #732 of 6,795
  For the album art display re-sampling,
is it possible make it use at least bilinear,
or use Bicubic would be much better.
some of the album art are in low resolution, the display will become very ugly.

I also seen some art be terribly pixelated - thumbs up for a fix :)

I also tested my Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 and no wonder, they are also easily driven at Volume 107 (Gain Lo) and the sound is great and constant.
I now finished the burn-in phase i would say and i am very happy with the battery life and everything of the DX80. So far all my user experience was fun.
Firmware update easy, UI easy to use - and simple, no crashes no bugs, no major lags.

I am not sure if it would eat too much of the resources to have a kind of "animation" when swiping left, right, or up.. If you are used to your smartphone you sometimes got the feeling that it is not responding (if you are used to swipe animations). But i could imagine it is not within the hardware capabilities (and also not really needed).

Thumbs up iBasso.. Great DAP

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #733 of 6,795
After a fair amount of use, here are my impressions after burning in a DX80.  The unit was provided by iBasso with a request to scour it for any current and future firmware issues.  Having the DX80 in the house allows me a great opportunity to compare it to my beloved DX100 and DX90. 

I won’t go into the full feature set as that is well documented elsewhere.  However, for how I use a DAP, the following features are a big deal to me:

1. A simple and reliable GUI
  2. A high quality digital transport to feed my desktop DAC and Amp for no compromise sound
  3. A great sounding headphone out that drives my headphones with authority and doesn’t make me miss my home setup when I’m on the go.

That’s pretty much it, I’m a simple guy.  Since that describes my primary goals for a DAP, I’ve carried some pretty large “portable” systems over the years that were several components strapped together with Velcro.  I never minded because my requirements were very simple…sound first and convenience later.

When iBasso jumped into the DAP market with the DX100 I was skeptical.  How can you fit all that goodness into one box and not compromise sound quality?  Long story short, after I heard one my paradigm shifted and my stable of venerable iRiver H140’s soon found themselves on ebay.  

While the DX100 sound quality and output features were fantastic, I soon learned the Achilles heel of iBasso DAPS…firmware.  I had never had any issues with other iBasso products (amps), but I found the DX100 buggy and inconsistent in behavior and experienced a lot of pain in those early days.  To iBasso’s credit they continued to kick out firmware until the unit was reliable and usable.

When the DX90 was released I purchased one for my son and was soon impressed.  It sounded nearly as good as the DX100 and since I was in the market for a spare DAP, I purchased one for myself.  While I enjoy the DX90 as it plays very nice with my JH-13’s, it also has had its own firmware woes which (again) over time improved with firmware releases.

Enter the DX80.  Obviously designed as the next generation to the DX90 size format, does it deliver compared to its predecessors?  The following is comparing the DX100 (firmware 1.4.2), DX90 (firmware 2.2.0 L0) and DX80 (firmware 1.1.2 and 1.1.4).  The DX100 and DX90 firmware selected was based on my opinion of them representing the best sound those units have to offer.

Build/Design

When iBasso went to the DX90, I appreciated the front physical buttons which made it much easier to use the unit while on the go, without having to turn the screen on as seen with the DX100.  The DX80 continues that approach but gets a svelte design upgrade.  If you haven’t handled a DX80 yet, I don’t think the average consumer will be disappointed by the build quality.  It is very solid and appears well put together on the outside.  It is easy to hold and engage the functions.  All ports are well labeled.  I was surprised to see the physical gain switch removed and unfortunately, the return to an internal proprietary battery power source. 

GUI

The DX80 onscreen GUI is IMO a significant upgrade over the DX90.  It is really very simple as a DAP should be.  All of the same primary functions of the DX90 are there.  Wiping across the unit reveals three main screens providing access to available functions (music selection, now playing, and settings).  The bigger album art is nice (I know, “you don’t listen to album art” but I still like to look at it once in awhile).  Even out of the box I found the interface snappy and responsive… until I tried to scan my songs and use the unit.  All I can say is that if you get a unit with firmware 1.1.0, don’t bother until you install 1.1.2 or 1.1.4.  Thanks to iBasso for the fast firmware improvements, but I am befuddled how the relatively polished DX80 was released with that original firmware.   

Firmwares 1.1.2/1.1.4 still have their quirks.  While scanning my 6,500 files, I found that the unit would often scan only some of the files.  The total track counter accessed by long pressing the album art was very helpful here.  This lets me know whether all files have been recognized by the unit.  The good news is that after three attempts which included some factory resets, all songs on my 64 mb card were recognized.  This minor issue continues with 1.1.4 but has not been a real problem.  (Note:  If you haven’t picked this up yet, for anyone having any issues with the DX80, try a factory reset first and go from there.)  

I have noted some minor issues most of which have already been documented by others and represented on the bug thread (such as track change thumps) but to be honest while not yet perfect, the DX80 has already (IMO) achieved a degree of reliability. 

Sound

Test gear (volume matched):
JH-13 (not FP)
Audio-Technica ESW9
 Audio-Technica ESW9LTD
Audio-Technica W1000X
Grado RS-1 (semi-vintage)
Tracks LAME VBR MP3 (Sorry, they sound equal to me compared to lossless on 9 out of 10 tracks)

These impressions were largely developed with the 1.1.2 and then revisited when the 1.1.4 was released.  Unlike iBasso’s other historical offerings, I am not detecting a sound difference between the two firmwares.

Most easily noticed is that the DX80 provides an “energetic” presentation, more so then both the DX100 and DX90.  The DX80 breathes some excitement and dynamic punch into the music.  I am wary when I experience this with a source, as it is often the result of artificially boosted lows and highs.  However, as I spent more time with the DX80, I decided that however iBasso had tuned this device, the end result was something more natural sounding than artificial.

Rotating through my usual test tracks, some comments on the ones below:  

“Furnace Room Lullaby” – Neko Case

This track contains some good micro detail, a sense of space and vocal highs that can bring chills with the right setup.  Through the song there is a lot of micro detail in the playing in the acoustic guitar.  For instance, at approximately 18 seconds into the track there is some micro detail in the acoustic guitar work which appears on both channels, secondary sounds of the guitar pick at work.  I’ve heard plenty of combinations that will not render these sounds, but the DX80 presented that detail clearly and properly to the best detail producing cans I own (JH-13’s and to a lesser extent my RS-1’s).  The highs also sounded fantastic, completely on par with my expectations in coming from the DX100.  During this track it was first noticed that the DX80 was doing a fine job at separation and layering, as Neko’s voice was pleasantly distinct and coming from a separate space then the bass line and guitar, which each had their own space. 

“Dream” – Priscilla Ahn

This track is my favorite for checking midrange and blackness of the background.  In my opinion this track is very well recorded, and the female vocals can almost sound like a binaural recording with the right setup.  The DX80 rendered this track beautifully, with the vocals sounding like I was there and not wearing headphones.  Similar to the DX100 and DX90, I hear no hiss or unwanted background noise in the blank spaces of this track even with my JH-13’s.  I don’t have golden ears but if I hear any hiss I am highly intolerant of it.  (I do have some hiss related commentary in towards the end, but I believe a hiss free background is what one can expect from the DX80, even with IEM’s.)   

“Blue Orchid” – White Stripes

This track has a crazy overwhelming wall of bass.  If a headphone or source can properly represent the bass in this song without being bloated or woolly, it should do well on many other bass demanding tracks.  The DX80 did great here, letting me hear the texture and fullness of the bass, not just a solid wall of it.  This track also did a nice job at re-affirming that the DX80 can maintain some separation and layering even when things get busy. 

I’ve seen others say that the DX80 has more bass than the DX90.  If it does, it is slight as I found the DX80, 90 and 100 all to have a similar amount of bass, but there were some differences in how it was presented/textured.  The DX80 and 100 sounded closer to me, with the DX90 bass sounding slightly less flushed out. 

To my surprise, as I cycled through tracks I began to spend more time directly comparing the DX80 to the DX100 vs. the DX90.  In reality, the sound of all three models is very close, they are all excellent.  But of course there are minor differences on the margins that can be noted.

One difference which may be a sweet spot for my use is the DX80’s tendency to provide some dynamic energy without sacrificing warmth or an organic musical presentation.  I commonly use the DX90 on the go with either my JH-13’s or Audiotechnica ESW9 (or ESW9LTD if I’m brave enough to take them out of the house).  All three of those headphones have an admirable characteristic, in that I can listen to them for hours with no fatigue.  I find them, especially the AT’s, polite, laid back and easy on the ears while still sounding great.  However, I sometimes wish the AT’s in particular had just a little more punch.  The DX80 breathes this life into these headphones and sounds great.  However, with the ESW9LTD it may be a bit much..but the ESW9 or JH-13 with the DX80 has rapidly become my favorite portable option.     

In comparing all three, if someone wishes to be exceptionally picky, the DX90 could be 3rd chair.  The DX80 and DX100 both make the DX90 sound very slightly flat, more clinical and less engaging.  For overall presentation, my ears tell me the DX100 and DX80 are closer in presentation than the DX90.  I did not spend much time with the DX80’s lineout as I rarely use that feature, however it sounded just fine compared to the others.  As expected, the DX80 digital out sounded exactly the same as the signal provided by the DX100 and DX90. 

Conclusion

DX80

Pros:  Energetic/dynamic presentation, detail producing, excellent instrument separation and layering, more intimate presentation with decent soundstage, perhaps a great companion for headphones with a more polite or laid back presentation
Cons: Potentially fatiguing, some firmware improvements yet to come, proprietary replacement battery, makes me wonder why I spent nearly $800 on my DX100.

Note on hiss:

If anyone is experiencing a hiss that is changed by manipulating the headphone cable, I believe this is not typical of a properly working DX80.  My unit experienced a moderate hiss mostly in the right channel with only one of my headphones.  This headphone worked fine in every other source and I could make the hiss increase/decrease upon moving the cable around or twisting the jack.  The hiss was always there, play or pause, and at the same intensity regardless of volume level or gain.  I was especially perplexed as my JH-13's did not reveal this hiss.  I began to suspect there was an issue with my DX80 that was being revealed by the specific impedance of the headphone showing the problem (an ESW9LTD and to a much lesser extent the ESW9).

iBasso sent a replacement DX80 which does not show this issue at all, and I find the unit to have a blissfully black background.  I'm not sure if this is a shielding issue or something else, but I recommend you connect with the iBasso folks to sort it out if you are experiencing this.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #734 of 6,795
@wolfen68 : Thank you for confirmation of your hiss problem!  That is exactly what I'm experiencing, and I mean EXACTLY!!!  With my ES60 and TWcu v3 cable I have a bad hissing in the right earpiece and it gets worse by moving the cable.  No issues using the same CIEM/cable with other DAPs.  There are also a few intermittent problems with hissing using other multi-BA IEMs/CIEMs, but this is the worst one I have and it is driving me crazy.  Sounds like the same issue with headphone jack/shielding as you have experienced which is resolved by a replacement unit.  I will contact iBasso regarding this.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #735 of 6,795
Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Note on hiss:

I forgot to reply to your previous reply to my post about this issue...

When I get hiss, it's with my Grado GR10e IEMs. Not with my Klipsch X10 IEMs. The hiss is constant when no music is playing, in both ears equally, and equally loud regardless of the volume setting. Neither of these IEMs hiss with an Audioengine D1 or Creative Labs X-fi box, or my NAD amp. I trialed the Grados with a DX90, which I replaced with the DX80 once I realized it existed (which was 3 days after I got the DX90, sigh). With the DX90 the Grados had no hiss.

As I mentioned before, gripping the IEM cable with two hands make the hiss go away. Wiggling the cable does nothing, but playing with the plug - like spinning it or wiggling it - reduces the hiss volume for a very, very brief time, and it's back once I let go.

From other threads, I've gotten the impression that it was simply a bad match of DAP and IEMs, and/or the IEM impedance is too low for this unit. With the latter in mind, I purchased a Shure kit which had an external volume control. Once I plugged that in, the hiss was gone regardless of the volume setting of either the DX80 or the Shure volume control.

This is a bit of a kludge fix, and I'd rather do without the volume control since it's not necessary.
Then again, I'd rather not ship this unit back and wait for a new one. Especially if I have to send it back to China during the madness of the Xmas shipping season.

Given the more details above, do you still think my hiss issue is caused by a defective DX80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back