iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #9,738 of 13,503
I am very impressed with the ibasso dx100, i consider this an overall improvement over my Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary. It sounds Excellent. 
UI is simple and music only took me 5min to add :D. The sound quality is off the charts and it sounds excellent. I love the sound stage of this player. Everything sounds so deep and everything sounds so real. i find myself often staring at walls because of how beautiful it sounds. I am amazed. I've also found that my jds labs O2, sounds more refined with my he-400 when hooked to the lineout of the Dx100. I find that i like the internal amp section alot better with my He-500 and 650's over my o2.  Overall i still like the O2 as it sounds more neutral. Does anyone know the AMP section of the ibasso is called?

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #9,739 of 13,503
Quote:
I am very impressed with the ibasso dx100, i consider this an overall improvement over my Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary. It sounds Excellent. 
UI is simple and music only took me 5min to add :D. The sound quality is off the charts and it sounds excellent. I love the sound stage of this player. Everything sounds so deep and everything sounds so real. i find myself often staring at walls because of how beautiful it sounds. I am amazed. I've also found that my jds labs O2, sounds more refined with my he-400 when hooked to the lineout of the Dx100. I find that i like the internal amp section alot better with my He-500 and 650's over my o2.  Overall i still like the O2 as it sounds more neutral. Does anyone know the AMP section of the ibasso is called?

for my he-500 Medium Gain sounds best for me

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #9,740 of 13,503
Quote:
Can we ask Rockbox team to release a build version for DX100 That will be so amazing.
Rockbox on iBasso DX100 will be a really killer, so many options, settings etc..and am sure we will get a better battery life.
ADMIN-please open a poll where people can vote to have Rockbox on DX100.
Thank you!!!

lets make a head fi campaign to Rock Box maybe that will make them make 1

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #9,741 of 13,503
Quote:
Can we ask Rockbox team to release a build version for DX100 That will be so amazing.
Rockbox on iBasso DX100 will be a really killer, so many options, settings etc..and am sure we will get a better battery life.
ADMIN-please open a poll where people can vote to have Rockbox on DX100.
Thank you!!!

Quote:
lets make a head fi campaign to Rock Box maybe that will make them make 1

There already is a Rockbox Android app.....

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #9,742 of 13,503
I know many of you use an additional amp to move the sound quality from sensational to obsessive.

Two things I've found to improve the DX are 1) a cold brew and 2) the Old Worldy charm of a Sri Lankan beach.

This is what the DX is made for.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #9,744 of 13,503
Quote:
I just sent iBasso another bug fix

Greeting to iBasso,

The Artist sort is sorting by %artist% instead of %albumArtist%

The difference

%artist% is usually tagged with the artist that is performing the song.

so under Artist sorting i have

Santana feat Alejandro Lerner
Santana feat Placido Domingo
Santana feat Citizen Cope

which happen to all be under the Shaman album by Santana.

When it should just be one Artist, Santana.

This is usually fixed by using %albumartist% as the artist sort that way it shows just the album artist and not every single contributing artist...

Ahem...

Much as I appreciate your work, on the UI,  I do not use the albumartist tag.  AT ALL.  I know I am not alone.

So elimination of the artist sort would mess me up something big.

IMHO the best option would be to let the sorting criteria be user configurable, in an advanced sub menu or something similar.  This is the case with most popular media players, like PowerAmp, yes?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9,745 of 13,503
Quote:
Not true. There are viruses affecting OSX as well. Not to forget that running Windows on a Mac doesn't make it any less Windows. 

That, and I would rather flush my money down the drain than give as much as a  bent nickle to Apple. Many like their products, fine, good for you, they make nice looking hardware. Their immense arrogance, insanely controlled walled garden and absolute patent war douchebaggery ensures that they will never get anything else from me than my two middle fingers. 
Please ensure they include a check to see if album artist is even present in the tags as not all formats support it. If Album Artist is not set for a given track, then sort by Artist.

+1

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #9,746 of 13,503
Quote:
No. Upsampling does not improve content. If you want your CDs to sound better. Pay attention to the ripper used. Properly setup DBpoweramp, EAC, or XLD (MAC) are fine choices.

This part will be controversal so try for yourself. I still prefer wav over flac but the information is not changed so there is no theorehtical difference. I don't find that converting HDtrax flac to wav ahead of time as noticable as going the from wav to flac with files we've generated. I suspect that their a2d process could perhaps be improved though it's certainly fine. If you use flac for size and tags, try compression '0' for least processor load.

I have read that a lot of audio engineers are using upsampling for the purpose of noise shaping, moving quantizing errors and filtering artifacts far out of the audible range.  Is it possible that the SRC function in the DX100 is using a similar scheme?

Check here for example:  http://www.mlssa.com/pdf/Upsampling-theory-rev-2.pdf

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #9,747 of 13,503
beerchug.gif

It was quite a chore, but I have read most of this thread.  

I have pretty much set on the DX100 as my next DAP, but I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions:

1.  All of my cover art is contained withing each album's folder as a file named "cover.jpg".  Most of these images are 500x500, or as close as possible.  This was the size that worked well for so long on my Squeezebox.  Will this scheme, or image size, create problems in the DX100?

2.  I really like Internet radio, specifically Radio Paradise.  RP has an Android app.  Has anyone used straming audio on the DX100?  What kind of results did you get?  I keep reading that one of the biggest sources of noise is the WiFi, I can see how this would make streaming a little less than ideal...

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #9,749 of 13,503
Quote:
beerchug.gif

It was quite a chore, but I have read most of this thread.  

I have pretty much set on the DX100 as my next DAP, but I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions:

1.  All of my cover art is contained withing each album's folder as a file named "cover.jpg".  Most of these images are 500x500, or as close as possible.  This was the size that worked well for so long on my Squeezebox.  Will this scheme, or image size, create problems in the DX100?

2.  I really like Internet radio, specifically Radio Paradise.  RP has an Android app.  Has anyone used straming audio on the DX100?  What kind of results did you get?  I keep reading that one of the biggest sources of noise is the WiFi, I can see how this would make streaming a little less than ideal...

1. 500x500 should work fine. Just don't go much over 600x600 or you will have issues with album art showing up.

2. From what I hear this feature doesn't work very well (lots of stuttering so not worth it). Just run the files on the DX100 storage and be happy. Plus using Wifi interferes with the sound. You get clicks and pops so keep it off when using music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back