iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #8,221 of 13,503
Quote:
I am beginning to lose my patience as well.  The DX100 is just not responsive enough and seems to flub album art and tags in mp3's that no other program or device has trouble reading.  I also don't understand why so many DX100 owners have such differing experiences.  It's almost like there are additional variables going on inside the DX100 that none of us understand....

Well if they don't take me seriously I will jump ship. It's a very nice player but if they are not gonna fix these current issues the device is not worth owning IMO. Especially since they advertised it as such and that they would "set the standard for Audiophile DAPs." Currently I don't see it that way. If the UI was fully functioning and the bugs non-existent I could very well see it as that player. They've had how long now? Since February to get this stuff straightened out? It's now going on their 4th batch or more and they still don't have their **** together.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #8,222 of 13,503
Quote:
A small update....or tease..
blink.gif

http://www.astellnkern.com/
 Price is KRW 698,000, which is around USD 625. 
Its here!!

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/a/a4/100x100px-LS-a41ddb61_norumotto.jpeg[/img]
  1. frenchbat
  2. badge_100.v1305918899.png
  4. online
  1. 408 Posts. Joined 2/2010
  2. Location: Tokyo, Japan

From what I can guess :

LI-Po battery, 2000mAh 3.7V, given for 16 hours of run time with 16bits/44.1kHz FLAC. Battery doesn't seem user serviceable, but the pics show screws, so it should be possible to open it fairly easily.

Dimensions and weight 59.2mm X 79mm X 14.4mm, 122g.

2.4" IPS screen

The overall design is very close to the H1X0/H3X0 series.

I am very interested in these!

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #8,224 of 13,503
1.1.7 has the best SQ to me too, and I get album art showing with all my iTunes created/corrected ALAC. I must admit I do get the occasional hangup/freeze or chipmunk playback, nothing that SRC setting back & forth won't correct, and a reset via pin-hole always solves a serious freeze. Usually I get errors when I'm impatient on start-up.
For the record, I never had had any hiccups until I updated to 1.2.3. When I reverted back to 1.1.7 for the better SQ, the occasional hiccup still occurred. However, around the time of those FW up&downgrades, my internal memory nearly maxed out & I also added a 64GB µSDXC, so handling a larger library / another memory may also have some effect.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #8,225 of 13,503
I sent the following mail to iBasso earlier

"HI,

many people on Head Fi are not happy with the sound on 1.2.3 but find the missing intro to tracks not acceptable on 1.1.7.

Also album art on FLACs is not picked up by 1.1.7.

I like many others bought the DX100 for the sound quality so have reverted back to 1.1.7.

It is very very disappointing if you are not going to fix the fade in and the FLAC problem on 1.1.7 expecially as you seem to have fixed them in 1.2.3 but have had the sound sig changed.

Please may I post your response on HeadFI .Org as there are many interested people?"

and got the following reply from iBasso just now

"Hi, Thank you for yur email.
We will release a new firmware that combine the 1.1.7 and 1.2.3 shortly."

So maybe there is some hope we will get the best  of both worlds

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #8,226 of 13,503
Quote:

"HI,

many people on Head Fi are not happy with the sound on 1.2.3 but find the missing intro to tracks not acceptable on 1.1.7.

I like many others bought the DX100 for the sound quality so have reverted back to 1.1.7.

It is very very disappointing if you are not going to fix the fade in and the FLAC problem on 1.1.7 expecially as you seem to have fixed them in 1.2.3 but have had the sound sig changed.

Please may I post your response on HeadFI .Org as there are many interested people?"

WOW.....looks like they are listening. Look, they are smart in that if enough people write them they have to do something or give up the market.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #8,227 of 13,503
Quote:

"HI,

Great stuff!!

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #8,228 of 13,503
I noticed gapless wasn't working properly on Figgies build yesterday, but I haven't had the chance to do an A/B comparison it with the stock player yet.  

The only thing I did on gap less was reduce the times from 5 & 10 second to 2 seconds and 5 seconds. I am not sure if the gap less setting will display the new settings.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #8,229 of 13,503
Quote:
The only thing I did on gap less was reduce the times from 5 & 10 second to 2 seconds and 5 seconds. I am not sure if the gap less setting will display the new settings.

It might have been the album, haven't cross checked it yet 
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #8,230 of 13,503
Quote:
Problem is Rozeqloud is the album art worth sacrificing the entire point of purchasing this player (for sound quality)? Because 1.2.3 is a big compromise in sound for me. I'd have sold the device already if it really sounded that bad. Even the previous firmwares were leaving me underwhelmed until 1.1.7 hit.

Nope not worth it atall Dont wanna sacrifice great sound for tiny pretty pictures .But im greedy and want it all LOL

Being daft it took me a while to sus this out . In each cd/lp folder i put a folder named after the cd/lp and add artwork to title

Then if i really need to see pretty pics while listening to music i can browse the gallery to view ,YES even larger artwork

This takes a hit on battery tho

It sure would be nice to be able to zoom artwork from play screen . But this is satisfying as well

Cheers

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #8,231 of 13,503
Quote:

My Email to them. : Hello ibasso I am lee730 from headfi. I am contacting you in hopes to getting the DX100 up to par. The UI is not acceptable and it has been more than enough time to get these things sorted out. It seems you guys are having a hard time doing this. Headfier figgie seems very competent and I believe he can get your product fully functioning properly. Please contact him and make some sort of arrangement and accommodate him. So he can help you and all owners of the DX100. Hifimans 901 is right around the corner and your player is not acceptable period. Hifiman plans on being fully functioning out the door. This will doom your product if you don't play your cards right and fix what needs to be fixed.

This is fantastic lee.  I am most likely going to sell the DX100 and grab the 901 when it is released.  I use my DX as simple as it can be used and it's still buggy enough that I'm not fully satisfied.  I still think this player would have been much better if they just made it with physical buttons and no OS.  

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #8,232 of 13,503
I have been using a lot of WAV, no art work. I don't see the art work on the FLAC's as the unit is in my pocket or on the counter as I world on something. Artwork is nice but I could really care less. Sound first the other is nice but never had artwork on my home system either but then I was listening to the music. :^)

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #8,233 of 13,503
Quote:
I have been using a lot of WAV, no art work. I don't see the art work on the FLAC's as the unit is in my pocket or on the counter as I world on something. Artwork is nice but I could really care less. Sound first the other is nice but never had artwork on my home system either but then I was listening to the music. :^)

In my case, it is nice to have artwork.  I really enjoy it.  I ripped my DVD-A into hi-rez wav, and use a conversion software to encode those files into hi-rez flacs.  Prior to conversion, easycd_extractor allows user to input meta data including album art.  Pretty neat software actually.  Plus my hirez flac is half the size of those gigantic wave files.  You should look into it. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #8,234 of 13,503
Quote:

In my case, it is nice to have artwork.  I really enjoy it.  I ripped my DVD-A into hi-rez wav, and use a conversion software to encode those files into hi-rez flacs.  Prior to conversion, easycd_extractor allows user to input meta data including album art.  Pretty neat software actually.  Plus my hirez flac is half the size of those gigantic wave files.  You should look into it. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I have found that with the higher resolution of the DX that I hear a difference in the sound so I have been ripping and using WAV for that reason.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #8,235 of 13,503
Quote:
I have found that with the higher resolution of the DX that I hear a difference in the sound so I have been ripping and using WAV for that reason.

Same. I also hear it in regular FLAC to WAV. But I don't have enough space to justify doing it right now. When 128 GB cards are out then I'll move to WAV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back