iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,786 of 13,503
There, I just rescued this thread.

I really pray this thread gets back on topic, perhaps when more people get their DX100s.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Cable-Bag.html?sc=8&category=1275

A very short review - it comes with a leather cord to wrap it up, that goes through a small hole in the flap.  Not that necessary and it's removable.  I have a little hook on my wall and I use it to hold the DX100 case on the wall, the DX100 sits in there and charges when it's not in use.  It has the added benefit of making the DX100 smell like leather.  Which is basically the sole ingredient of this case.  It's a thick and hefty leather.  This case has plenty of room for a few little accessories like IEMs and a charger.  Very very simple and indestructable...and a good color.

The official case of Ron Swanson.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,787 of 13,503
[size=medium]Thank you so much and I love your new avatar. Well real life kept me busy, mostly traveling and work. I recently found out that I’m pregnant so I took a well-deserved vacation just to sort things over and plan ahead. [/size]

Quote:
Where have you been , long time no see you! welcome back.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,788 of 13,503

Quote:
I received an email today from iBasso wherein they said that they were very busy right now, but when they got the next pre-orders out, they would have more time to be much more communicative with their users. Even the new User Manual has taken a temporary back seat to them being able to deliver the 2nd updated batch of DX100 pre-orders in a timely fashion.
There is no doubt in my mind that iBasso is very serious about establishing the DX100 as the premier benchmark by which all DAP's will be judged. As good as the original 40 sounded, the modifications made by iBasso will result in a definite improvement in overall SQ.

I didn't think we knew what the changes were, did I miss something? Or is this idle speculation? And is there a chance that they implemented the ability to charge via usb with the changes? That was a mind-bottling oversight.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,789 of 13,503
Scooter, are you planning to keep your DX100 a little longer so we can compare the changes between the version?  Somebody needs to.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #1,790 of 13,503
I am not sure that you could charge this unit off 5v USB power.  Every amp that has the voltage swing that this one has always has an adapter for charging.  I don't know the details of this but check other amps out that do charge via usb and you will see that their voltage swing is much more limited that the DX100 amp.  If you know of one let me know.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,791 of 13,503
I also bought this case from toys r us, I actually really like it so far. [size=medium]It’s classy and you can still hook up your earphones to it even while listening. oh and best part is that it's only 19$.[/size]

pTRU1-10232434dt.jpg

Quote:

I really pray this thread gets back on topic, perhaps when more people get their DX100s.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Cable-Bag.html?sc=8&category=1275

A very short review - it comes with a leather cord to wrap it up, that goes through a small hole in the flap.  Not that necessary and it's removable.  I have a little hook on my wall and I use it to hold the DX100 case on the wall, the DX100 sits in there and charges when it's not in use.  It has the added benefit of making the DX100 smell like leather.  Which is basically the sole ingredient of this case.  It's a thick and hefty leather.  This case has plenty of room for a few little accessories like IEMs and a charger.  Very very simple and indestructable...and a good color.

The official case of Ron Swanson.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,793 of 13,503
thank you, Oh, [size=medium]I’m already deprived of sleep, and I lost my sanity, and freedom when I joined head-fi. I’m actually really excited.[/size]

Quote:
Congrats!
Nothing a kid (or another kid ) to help put things into perspective. Oh, and deprive you of sleep, freedom, and sanity.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #1,796 of 13,503

I really pray this thread gets back on topic, perhaps when more people get their DX100s...

Well considering that currently about 1% of people partaking of this thread actually have the DX100, I think it probably will.

Until then it looks like it's pretty much stream of consciousness posting.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,797 of 13,503
I would hope this thread could keep on track. While I realize there are 40 DX100's out there and not that many here on headfi, there are plenty of places to chat. People get very frustrated when they are trying to find related information to the topic and they have to go through pages of off subject, though sometimes interesting, data. 

It will be great as most would agree, when those couple of hundred new DX100's hit the eager hands of anxious listeners. :^)  Yes, stream of consciousness seems to be right. I can also imagine it is the anticipation that is killing them. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,798 of 13,503
As the reviews or impressions come in, I will continue to post what page they are on in the heading or first page so people can go there and not weed through everything else. Sadly there will be tidbits that will be missed since not everything is a review or large impression but important none the less. 

So while we, those that have the DX100, are listening to them, I can only imagine there are more thoughts regarding sound and use of this new DAP. 

For me, I continue to be amazed by the transparency and sheer dynamics that bring to life some music I thought was beyond any dacs ability to rejuvenate. Some of this being studio recordings that before this, fell flat and were not all that enjoyable for me to listen to. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,799 of 13,503
Quote:
I also bought this case from Toys-r-us, I actually really like it so far. It’s classy and you can still hook up your earphones to it even while listening. Oh and best part is that it's only 19$.

pTRU1-10232434dt.jpg

For that price I suppose it isn't made of leather, or...?
Edit: I went & looked it up, & of course it's plastic. I wish manufacturers would stop calling petrochemical fabric leather.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,800 of 13,503
By the way, I have been told by Ibasso when I will receive my DX100.  I have been told to send the remaining payment in also.

Right now I am busy in designing my experiment which I think will be fun for everyone.  I have downloaded 8 to 10 192/24 albums and some of which I have the exact CD in in 16/44 format.  I have copied all my ALAC in my Itune Music to my portable drive and ready to transfer to DX100.  I have several CDs Creedence Clearwater Revival, Beethovan 9, The best of Righteous Brother, Diana Krall etc in both 16/44/ and 192/24 format.  

So this is what I am going to do.  I have enlisted couple of crazy unwilling heafiers as guinea piggies (and you know who you are) which I will blindfold and randomly play a track from one of five different platform.

1.  DX100 in regular 16/44 ALAC format
2.  DX100 in Hires 192/24 format
3.  The same track in ALAC on my portable rig (Ipod/CLAS/DB1/SR71b)
4   The Same Track in ALAC on a different portable combo with Pico Slim, O2 and PB2
5   The same track in ALAC (16/44) but using the DX100 line out O2/SR71b/PB2/Pico Slim.
6    The same track in ALAC (192/24) but using the DX100 line out to O2/Sr71n/PB2/Pico Slim
7    I will compare the difference between the Sabre 32 Dac to the Wolfson Dac via the DB1.

All of the above will be using the following headphones: LCD2, HD800, ED8, JH13.  All cables and IC will be Crystal.

I will do this blindfolded.  So the guinea piggies (including myself) will be blindfolded and the above condition will be run in a random fashion and we will rate each condition according to sound quality.  I will use some classical and vocal materials. I hope this will be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back