iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jan 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #91 of 4,153
The slightly rounded side is down on the D1 so I would think it will be the same but you can always email iBasso.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #92 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duh...I am saving dough for a Lisa III (have to find out for myself). And now this.
ph34r.gif

dude, get the lisa III first, its bound to make much more difference to the sound of your already no doubt great sounding rig. I get eargasms daily
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #93 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Third, "Regarding to why we dont use I2S for USB, because...if we use I2S for USB, and optical/coaxial need SPDIF, then it must have many electonic switches between them. The size will be bigger, and the sound will be much worse." (because of compromises in the design to make it all fit in a portable)

I'm not sure there's going to be a big difference between I2S and SPDIF here. In the D3, the PCM2706 is used to recover the clock from the USB data(using some proprietary and unexplained "SpAct" feature feeding a PLL). In the D10, the same architecture is used to recover the clock in the PCM2906, which then re-encodes the data and clock into SPDIF, and the clock is again recovered by the PLL in the CS8416. The CS8416 PLL is clocked only by the SPDIF preambles rather than the entire data stream, and it thus supposedly more jitter resistant. Simply piping the SPDIF preambles across the board shouldn't be that much worse(if at all worse) than piping a raw clock. The clock is even cleaned again by a second PLL, but unless the second PLL has a drastically different loop filter than the first, I'm not sure this presents any advantage(some DACs use a two-PLL architecture, where the second PLL has a much tighter loop filter than the first).

In any case, I don't see it being worse than I2S, and it's plausible that it could be better. The PCM2706 and PCM2906 don't show their loop filter responses in their datasheets, so I can't tell if the second PLL in line has any benefit or not.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #94 of 4,153
Do you guys think this will be for sale in the forum soon? I'm thinking of buying one, but I want to buy it from a private person (preferrably used) so it's a little cheaper and they can help me avoid stupid Norwegian customs :p

BTW: when do I get to post in the sales forum?

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #95 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys think this will be for sale in the forum soon? I'm thinking of buying one, but I want to buy it from a private person (preferrably used) so it's a little cheaper and they can help me avoid stupid Norwegian customs :p

BTW: when do I get to post in the sales forum?

To answer your first question would be pure speculation.Sometimes people sale in a couple weeks,or months,who really knows.
To answer your second question is ,you must post at least 50 times on Head-Fi before you can post in the for sale section.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #96 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your second question is ,you must post at least 50 times on Head-Fi before you can post in the for sale section.

...and you must be registered on Head-Fi for a minimum of 30 days.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #97 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- WM8740, D/A chip (vs CS4398 in the D1 - which one is better?)

You ppl probably already knew, but I just noticed that the DAC of the D10 is also used in the Pico. So I assume it is a good DAC.

The DAC/Amp + digital inputs + AD8656 for more punch, makes me very curious. I'm looking forward to reviews and impressions. (Maybe some comparisons with the Predator, Pico, etc.?)

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #98 of 4,153
Yes, it is the top dac and is also used in the D3. I agree that with the AD8656, which is one of my favorites, the sound should be very fine and there would be plenty of power.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #99 of 4,153
This time I am going to review the D10 as optical DAC amp and as USB DAC amp. I can use optical with my Macbook, iRiver H140, Sony D-EJ2000, and DLO Homedock HD, and for me it is more versatile than a USB only DAC.

The iBasso D1 optical input it was better than it's USB input, and very good. With AD743 opamps in main and LMH6643 in buffers and LTC6241HV in the DAC section, using optical may have put it above the stock D2 Viper and D3 Python, and closer to the top ranked DAC/amps - but I did my review with just USB DAC since that is all the others had, and many people only had USB on their PC's. Using the optical DAC and the headphone out as a pre-amp, it was as good as the Headroom Micro DAC (line out wasn't quite warm enough). The USB DACs hurt the grade for the D1 and Lyrix which have very good amp sections. When I did a different review of just the Headstage DAC and D1 USB DAC I had found the D1 USB DAC was almost at the same level as the Headstage Lyrix DAC. Very nice but needed more micro-detail air ambience and space (like the D1 optical).

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #100 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The slightly rounded side is down on the D1 so I would think it will be the same but you can always email iBasso.

To anyone interested, I have confirmed with iBasso that the toslink port orientation is the same as the D1.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #101 of 4,153
Sure, that is always good to know as it helps when ordering from Sys.concept. I need to order a toslink to toslink so I can use the right angle adapters and keeps the cable flat to the back of the amp and iRiver. I like the fact that they now will eliminate the metal ends, though they are nice and come in many colors.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #102 of 4,153
Quote:

the right angle adapters

Would you mind sharing what type/brand of adapters you use? I also own a H140 and (hopefully) soon a D10, and I'm rather new to using optical connections.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #104 of 4,153
Quote:

Sure, that is always good to know as it helps when ordering from Sys.concept. I need to order a toslink to toslink so I can use the right angle adapters and keeps the cable flat to the back of the amp and iRiver. I like the fact that they now will eliminate the metal ends, though they are nice and come in many colors.

Is this the adapter?

T2MA-90_toslink_to_miniplug_90deg.jpg

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #105 of 4,153
Quote:

Oops! The above is the wrong adapter. It should be this one. Sorry.

T2TA-90_toslink_to_toslink_90deg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back