iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #77 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D3 has 180mW+180mW into 32ohms. I don't know about the P3.

According to iBasso the amp section of the P3 is 200mW+200mW into 32Ohms in stock config, and the battery life can equal the +100 hours of the D3 if the same opamps are used.

(Answer to my own question at page 1
regular_smile .gif
)

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #78 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so impressed by the size.. that is almost half of my HR portable 2007.
I hope I can keep my current sys-concept cable without re-caluculate
smily_headphones1.gif

smaller yes, but I doubt it will beat the HR dac in sound quality. of course if used dac only and pass onto a nice amp like lisa III mmmmmm madnes. but i'm interesetd in Y1 vs D10 comparisons.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #79 of 4,153
Guys lets not start assuming how the D10 sounds or compares w/ other gear until we have had an opportunity to listen to one following burn-in. My D10 and a T4 are supposed to ship out on Monday so I will gladly post impressions.

If it arrives quick enough I could even take it to the Mini-Meet w/ vorlon1 on 1/24 so he can share his impressions. Although the unit will probably have only 48 - 72 hours of burn-in.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #80 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On power, most phones require around 10 to 20mW of power, it is the heavy bass that soaks up current. For most listening, and phones that aren't real inefficient, 100mW's is normally more than enough. Just like speakers, most of the first 5 watts is all that is required and often just a couple of watts. Loud and heavy bass will take more, without a doubt, unless something efficient, which is where I have normally stayed.

As I understand, Yuin PK1-s are bassy, not so easy to drive earbuds and I listen bass heavy music so I'm better off with D3 Python since it has more power?

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #81 of 4,153
The D10 will come with opamps so you can change the output power of the amp section and the sound.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #82 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smaller yes, but I doubt it will beat the HR dac in sound quality. of course if used dac only and pass onto a nice amp like lisa III mmmmmm madnes. but i'm interesetd in Y1 vs D10 comparisons.

Why wouldn't it? It's not exactly a big secret that Headroom's products are overpriced. I had the Micro DAC a couple years back and I couldn't tell a difference between it and the DAC in the Emu0404 soundcard that was $100.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #83 of 4,153
I got some answers by email from iBasso regarding the D10. I had to paraphrase some of their replies:

First, regarding to the sound of the D10 amp section (where I asked if it now sounds better than the D3 since the last report in November). The reply was, "Comparing to the D3, the treble is more extended and the bass is deeper now. You can judge that by yourself. Also, I think the D10 can beat any of our products if using optical or coaxial inputs."

Second, "Regarding to why we add DIP socket for opamp rolling, because more people request this feature." (i.e. meaning not because the sound needs to be improved.)

Third, "Regarding to why we dont use I2S for USB, because...if we use I2S for USB, and optical/coaxial need SPDIF, then it must have many electonic switches between them. The size will be bigger, and the sound will be much worse." (because of compromises in the design to make it all fit in a portable)

I'll let you know what I think when I get mine.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #85 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, regarding to the sound of the D10 amp section (where I asked if it now sounds better than the D3 since the last report in November). The reply was, "Comparing to the D3, the treble is more extended and the bass is deeper now. You can judge that by yourself. Also, I think the D10 can beat any of our products if using optical or coaxial inputs."

Second, "Regarding to why we add DIP socket for opamp rolling, because more people request this feature." (i.e. meaning not because the sound needs to be improved.)

Sweet!

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #86 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why wouldn't it? It's not exactly a big secret that Headroom's products are overpriced. I had the Micro DAC a couple years back and I couldn't tell a difference between it and the DAC in the Emu0404 soundcard that was $100.

Quite true. Just yesterday I asked itobito who used to own a MicroDAC 2006, and he said that the PCM 1793/OPA2134PA DAC he is using now easily match the MicroDAC pound for pound - and that PCM 1793 DAC is only $79 and not even burned in yet (around 4 caps inside).

On the other hand, that's a bold statement iBasso claimed - about D10 optical prowess. I hope mrarroyo can confim it (DAC wise) next week
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #87 of 4,153
The best dac I have is my modified Monica II non oversampling asynchronous dac run on battery power. It will be interesting to compare the the two.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #88 of 4,153
Sorry for asking suh a noob question: How do you treat the little fellow once you get it before using it on a regular basis? Do you leave it running for some time and on what volume? Are the headphones attached while doing so?

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #89 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for asking suh a noob question: How do you treat the little fellow once you get it before using it on a regular basis? Do you leave it running for some time and on what volume? Are the headphones attached while doing so?

Yes, you leave the unit on all the time while feeding it music and with a headphone attached so the amp section sees a load. In my case I try to switch the source from optical to coaxial every 24 hours. At said time I also change headphones to something of different impedance. Finally I change the volume setting and gain switch if there is one.

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #90 of 4,153
Here's a question that may not be known yet...but you folks are pretty resourceful....

There's not much for pictures out there yet, but does anybody have any idea which way the toslink port on the back faces (such as flare upward or flare downward)? The one pic on ibasso's site showing the back has the toslink cap/plug in place
confused_face(1).gif

The D1 had the toslink flare downward so I'm so far assuming the D10 is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back