I want the paradigm atoms...
Feb 2, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #31 of 147
Hello. I really hate to wake up this thread after it looks like it's been put to sleep, but I have some questions. I have been looking at buying a small, good-sounding system for my desk for a while now. The problem is I hardly knowing anything about speakers and amps. All I know about is earphones. I have a pair of Shure SE530's, and now I want to finally buy a set of speakers that can produce as good of sound quality as they can.

First of all, the speakers I'm looking at are the following:

1.) Athena Technologies AS-B1.2
2.) Axiom Audio M2 v2
3.) Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5

Of course, I'm willing to look at others if any of you can recommend anything else. I just want a nice set of speakers that is going to sound like my earphones, or close to it (nice, laid-back sound, but clean and clear). I know I'm not going to get the bass from any of these speakers that I do from my in-ears, but I can live with that.

The second thing, obviously, is I'm going to need an amp. For under $200, what are some good options? If possible, I'd want one that I could eventually hook up a sub to. Again, I'm very new to this world, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #32 of 147
Well, I've only heard the Athenas, which are not that great. Axioms have a lot of hype and fanboys, but I doubt they are that great either. The paradigms have great reviews from the high-end press, so I suspect that they are very good. Out of the three, I'd get the paradigms.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #33 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've only heard the Athenas, which are not that great. Axioms have a lot of hype and fanboys, but I doubt they are that great either. The paradigms have great reviews from the high-end press, so I suspect that they are very good. Out of the three, I'd get the paradigms.

At this point, the Paradigms are the most appealing to me. However, I can't find them anywhere online, and I would really like to stay away from eBay if at all possible. Where should I be looking, and if I get them, what amps should I be looking at to power them?

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #34 of 147
Has anyone actually heard the Axiom Audio M2 v2? How is it compared to the Paradigm? That's the only other one I have my eye on right now.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #35 of 147
Used Totem Mites are stellar speakers for around $320-360.

The Emotiva BPA-1 is my amp currently and I am very pleased with it.

DSC01189-1.jpg

Just put it together so I am still a long way off from finishing.

DSC01188.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 147
im still deciding if I can afford these atoms.. I think I would have gotten them a long time ago if a store had them already in stock. That way I would have them in hand.

But the store says it takes a day to get them from paradigm, time for buyers remorse!

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 147
btw, this is for a small bedroom setup, I was think about speaker stands. But cost is an issue, and the stands that paradigm have I believe are $140.

what about speaker mounts for the wall? any cheap deals? costco?

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #40 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone actually heard the Axiom Audio M2 v2? How is it compared to the Paradigm? That's the only other one I have my eye on right now.

Despite the price similarity, the Axioms are not in the same performance category as the latest Paradigm Atoms. I'd strongly suggest the latter.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #41 of 147
geestring,

Paradigm doesn't authorize sales of its speakers over the internet, unless you want them without the factory warranty.

As for stands, there are plenty of sites online that sell inexpensive speaker stands. I believe Audio Advisor is currently selling some Energy speaker stands for $30.00/pair. Thinking of getting a pair for my Energy C-3s.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by geestring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also is it wrong that i would buy the atoms without first hearing them... i know they're going to be good
smily_headphones1.gif

As long as you don't have unrealistic expectations for an inexpensive, small bookshelf I don't think you'll be disappointed. They (Atoms.... an older series) offered 90% of the musical performance of my PSB Platinum M2s for 1/10th of the price. (Less bass response.... and they're downright ugly compared to the awesomeness that is the PSB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back