I want the paradigm atoms...
Jan 20, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you read the latest issue of stereophile? They said the v5s are lightyears better than the old atoms.

Did they say so? I haven't read that assessment in Stereophile.

Here´s the Stereophile article:
Stereophile: Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 loudspeaker

They do mention what's new in how they are built:
Quote:

Bob Reina reviewed the Atom v.3 in 2002, and concluded that "the Atom smashes the low-price barrier." The v.5 is similar in that it's still a stand-mounted, two-way speaker with a rear-ported, bass-reflex design, but its cabinet, drivers, and crossover are all improved.

Yet, they never compare the sound of the new model with the older Atom (As far as I've read, maybe I missed some lines.) What Stereophile does compare the new Atom with is the PSB Alpha B1, on page 2 within the Stereophile article.

Or maybe you are referring to a different Stereophile issue, a more recent month?

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 147
The previous Atoms weren't a part of the Monitor line.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The previous Atoms weren't a part of the Monitor line.

This is true. The v5 weights almost twice what the older Atom did. Yet that's beside my point. I'm challenging the claim that Stereophile allegedly had assessed the new Atoms as "lightyears better" than the older Atoms. That claim seems unfounded to me, haven't read it anywhere. If someone could back up that claim I'd appreciate it.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #19 of 147
My statement was just FYI.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #20 of 147
i just found my dads old receiver.

its the Sony STR-VX33. I can't find much information online, however the sticker on the back does say 140watts.... which should be enough to power those atoms? Btw I was surprised by its weight.

I have a question about connecting the rca audio cables to the EMU 0404usb. The only outputs that fit a rca tip are the S/PDIF on the front. Are those the right connections?

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #22 of 147
No, S/PDIF is digital, not analog.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #23 of 147
rsaavedra:

I'm not talking about the article reviewing the speakers (linked above). There was a discussion in the current issue comparing the old with the new. Unfortunately I can't find my copy of this month's edition of Stereophile to quote it for you. I probably threw it out. Anyway, in the current issue that I got a week or so ago, there was a comparison with the earlier atoms, and they said, as I recall, that the new ones bested them in every way. That's not a quote, because I can't find it, but that was the conclusion. Unfortunately I can't PROVE it to you because I can't find it, but if you buy the current edition you will see what I'm talking about and can be more specific as to what they said.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 147
Geestring:

The S/PDIF connector is indeed an RCA jack, but it's for a coax RCA cable to send digital data to a digital receiver. I don't know the Sony receiver you have - it may or may not have similar coax digital inputs. If you are trying to connect the analog outputs of the 0404 to the analog inputs of the Sony, then you need to find the correct analog outputs of the 0404. If you connect the 0404's digital outputs to the Sony's analog inputs, it won't work. There should be left and right analog outputs on the 0404 and and similar left and right inputs on the Sony. They are on the bottom left of this photo.

0404 USB

The SPDIF outputs on the top photo are digital outputs.

I suspect if your Sony is older (or stereo as opposed to supporting dolby digital) it won't have digital inputs.

Are we clear?

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #25 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rsaavedra:

I'm not talking about the article reviewing the speakers (linked above). There was a discussion in the current issue comparing the old with the new. Unfortunately I can't find my copy of this month's edition of Stereophile to quote it for you. I probably threw it out. Anyway, in the current issue that I got a week or so ago, there was a comparison with the earlier atoms, and they said, as I recall, that the new ones bested them in every way. That's not a quote, because I can't find it, but that was the conclusion. Unfortunately I can't PROVE it to you because I can't find it, but if you buy the current edition you will see what I'm talking about and can be more specific as to what they said.

Ok no wonder, it's on another issue of the mag. I knew couldn't be the other one from September. Had read that article in fact checking whether they had comments on the sound compared to the original Atoms (which they had reviewed as well.) I was disappointed to find that they hadn't compared them.

Will check the most recent issues to find the comments you mention. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #27 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by geestring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea i just got a rca to ministereo and plugged it into the back of the emu.

its a cheap adapter from radioshack, will it affect the sound quality? I'm also using cheap rca cables...

Yes, cables have the ability to affect sound quality. Using the 1/8" stereo jack isn't the best way to output due to its small contact area, etc.

Your best method would be to purchase or have someone custom make some 1/4" TS to RCA cables. Blue Jeans Cable could do it, someone on the DIY forums could make one, or you could build them yourself. Another alternative is to use regular RCA cables with RCA to 1/4" TS adapters.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by geestring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the sony strvx33 says 140watts. Enough to power those atoms?

I see under its specs it says "Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 80 watts"

140 watts @ 8 ohms should be more than enough to power most conventional 8 ohm speakers.

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 147
It's fine to use a mini RCA to RCA. Your receiver is not ultra-high end. A better cable may make a small difference in your system, but I strongly doubt it would make a substantial difference. Of course, knowing that you're using a cheap cable v. an expensive one might make you perceive a HUGE difference, but if you did a blind test I doubt you'd notice it. I'm sure others will disagree. You've got plenty of watts. It's a question of quality, not quantity. You should have a very good quality signal coming out of that 0404 - at some point you might want to buy a good stereo amp like the $100 Trends. That would probably make for a lovely system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back