I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #226 of 406
Its been a while. Has anyone found anything they like better in closed backs for classical strings for under less than $300? 

If you don't need total isolation, ZMF v1 is very good--especially with the darker string instruments. But it will handle violins well too on account of its effortless extended treble. One can hear the influence of HE500 in vocals, but I think I'm hearing some HD650 too.

Another choice, if you're willing to accept on ear, is Mikros 90. It's a little bright / colored (in the direction of Grados but not all the way) so it doesn't work so well for orchestral music but it works pretty well for strings.

May 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #227 of 406
I am interested in these headphones but i have a question to ask:
Do the newer post 2007/2008 versions with the black caps  come with with velour pads or are they the 'Jersey cloth' ?
The original versions (silver perforated caps) came with a choice of soft skin vinyl or cloth/velour pads.
I ended up selling my pair of the original DT440s, which I otherwise liked, because I found the the Jersey cloth pads were itchy. I cant stand Grados for the same reason, they are irritating to wear. I tried DT990 velours which were of course very comfotable but they killed the highs and made them too warm sounding, more Sennheiser like maybe. 
I know there are two types of pads available EDT660 and EDT440. Are they made from the same material ?

May 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #228 of 406
My personal impression:frowning2:new to hi-fi)

Sound:
I am very pleased by this product. I can hear the full range of sound, bass, mids, and highs. The sound is clear, crisp, and I can hear my music in great detail. Some do say that the highs are a tad too bright; this is true. After some time of listening, it has become less of an annoyance. Either I have become accustomed to the tuning of the headphones, or after some hours of burn in the drivers have changed. Regardless of the cause, I do not think the highs are so bad that they will always stick out to you, yet they may not be very pleasing at a high volume after a long period of time.

I can also add that the reproduction seems more authentic. Most of my experience listening to classical music has been in recordings, unfortunately. I was at a concert however, where the program consisted of excerpts from Bach-Cantatas. I do believe the reproduction of orchestral and choral music on these headphones is very accurate. Perhaps someone who has had the opportunity to try more products can tell us how a good pair of open headphones, such as the Audiotechnica ATH-AD700 performs. I chose these as opposed to the open audiotechnica simply because I wanted to be able to travel with these.

Comfort:
Largely I have no complaints. They are definitely not very light. They clamp a bit tightly, but only out of the box. After some time using them, they loosen up a bit. Fortunately, that also means that you can travel with them! The earpads do get itchy sometimes; it is a small problem, yet it is certainly present. Itchiness rating on a scale of 1(not itchy at all) to 10(horribly irritating) 4.

Very Short summary.: Awesome product. The highs are a bit bright, and it makes listening at a high volume for a long time a bit tough on you ears. (Not that listening to music at a high volume is good for your ears in the first place.) 

May 7, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #229 of 406
This headphone keeps amazing me, when listening to the Bill Evans Trio, the piano sounds just right (not to many headphones can do that IMO), the bass very natural...Excellent headphone for acoustic bass!

I agree with AlexZander that at a high volume for a long time a bit tough on you ears..but I regard it as a great warning system for ear protection, works really well 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #230 of 406
  I am interested in these headphones but i have a question to ask:
Do the newer post 2007/2008 versions with the black caps  come with with velour pads or are they the 'Jersey cloth' ?
The original versions (silver perforated caps) came with a choice of soft skin vinyl or cloth/velour pads.
I ended up selling my pair of the original DT440s, which I otherwise liked, because I found the the Jersey cloth pads were itchy. I cant stand Grados for the same reason, they are irritating to wear. I tried DT990 velours which were of course very comfotable but they killed the highs and made them too warm sounding, more Sennheiser like maybe. 
I know there are two types of pads available EDT660 and EDT440. Are they made from the same material ?

Anyone ? 
Velour = I buy, Jersey cloth = I don't

May 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #232 of 406
Thanks for reply

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #233 of 406
Just thought I'd post an update to this thread. I have had these for a few months now. I love the sound, but they broke on me. I thought the build quality was good, but they broke through normal use. I don't think anything I've ever done with them that was beyond what they're designed for. (Picking them up, putting them down, putting them on my head.) The part that links the joint that holds the earcup to the headband broke off. I will contact amazon to see if I can get a replacement, as the warranty info says that the product is guaranteed for two years. If I get a replacement, which I probably will. Can anyone recommend good headphone habits to keep them in good shape? Maybe something I did with them put stress on the joints. Main question, how do you store them? I do not have one of those stands, since they do run for a pretty high price.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #234 of 406
Sep 30, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #235 of 406
  Just thought I'd post an update to this thread. I have had these for a few months now. I love the sound, but they broke on me. I thought the build quality was good, but they broke through normal use. I don't think anything I've ever done with them that was beyond what they're designed for. (Picking them up, putting them down, putting them on my head.) The part that links the joint that holds the earcup to the headband broke off. I will contact amazon to see if I can get a replacement, as the warranty info says that the product is guaranteed for two years. If I get a replacement, which I probably will. Can anyone recommend good headphone habits to keep them in good shape? Maybe something I did with them put stress on the joints. Main question, how do you store them? I do not have one of those stands, since they do run for a pretty high price.

Such bad luck.  I've had mine for a couple of years and had no problems whatsoever and I haven't been particularly gentle with them.  For a holder, I use the Sennheiser, cheap, but it has to clamp on to a shelf.  Works for me.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #237 of 406
Or the DT440 for that matter. Haven't seen a comparison of this family of headphones. Would be interested in how they relate to each other

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #238 of 406
Guys!

Thanks for such a wonderful thread..

I wanted to ask you ...

How would you compare DT-660 to DT-990 and DT-660 to DTX 910?

also, do we need amplifier for dt-660?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #239 of 406
  Guys!

Thanks for such a wonderful thread..

I wanted to ask you ...

How would you compare DT-660 to DT-990 and DT-660 to DTX 910?

also, do we need amplifier for dt-660?

Thanks in advance!!!

I have never used it with an amplifier, but it plays at a pretty hefty volume and clarity right out of a mobile phone or soundcard. They are definitely efficient enough for the approximately $150 price tag you find on amazon.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #240 of 406

No need for an amp.  It's a very efficient can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back