I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Nov 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #211 of 406
Hey guys,

Sorry to bring the old thread back.
Can you guys compare the dt660 with the shure shr440?
I am looking for a flat phone without the bass hype that move the people these days...
Taste: classical and instrumental music.

Thanks a lot for any comment

Cheers

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #213 of 406
Can you guys compare the dt660 with the shure shr440? Thanks a lot for any comment.

I can't compare DT660 to SRH440, but I can briefly compare DT660 to SRH840. (I hope that's better than nothing.)

DT660: much better at string music and orchestral music, sounds slow and refined, comfortable headband and clamping.

SRH840: better at piano and organ, sounds non-fatiguing and intimate, uncomfortable stock headband but made of stronger materials and more isolating.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #214 of 406
I agree on the string- and orchestral part, really great headphone for this genre..solo piano is not bad at all but personally I think the upper mids are a bit to forward which bothers me sometimes when I play a bit louder then usual..I am quite sensitive for this frequency though

I use to own the SRH840 which I found a pretty good allrounder, for classical the DT660 is unbeatable in it's price class and IMO a better choice then the Shure

For solo piano the Grado GS1000 is still my favorite, but this is of course open and other price range (and needs good amp!)

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #216 of 406
Hello,

I was trying to find the best possible, yet cheap headphones for classical music before I've seen this topic.
The only thing that bothers me is that some people say "its bass is not overwhelming"
I would like to ask classical music lovers (I believe there are lots of them in this thread), if the bass is "overwhelming", when it needs to be such?

I can't think of many examples at the moment, but, if you could remember, could you please tell me how DT660 will perform with:
  1. Mahler's Third, Kraftig
  2. Grieg's Peer Gynt, Peer Gynt's Homecoming and Shipwreck
  3. Anything other that comes to your mind with low-register instruments' solo parts - double basses, tuba, bass drums, contrabassoons, etc.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #217 of 406
  Hello,

I was trying to find the best possible, yet cheap headphones for classical music before I've seen this topic.
The only thing that bothers me is that some people say "its bass is not overwhelming"
I would like to ask classical music lovers (I believe there are lots of them in this thread), if the bass is "overwhelming", when it needs to be such?

I can't think of many examples at the moment, but, if you could remember, could you please tell me how DT660 will perform with:
  1. Mahler's Third, Kraftig
  2. Grieg's Peer Gynt, Peer Gynt's Homecoming and Shipwreck
  3. Anything other that comes to your mind with low-register instruments' solo parts - double basses, tuba, bass drums, contrabassoons, etc.

I'm a Grado fan and Grados have a little and pleasant mid-bass bump to the sound.  I bought the DT-660 because it was closed and Grado does not make a closed can.  The 660 does NOT have the mid-bass bump of the Grado line but it does have a bit of sub-bass, as in, organ pedal, orchestral bass drum, contra bassoon.  So in that area (bass), I find it pretty neutral/accurate in frequency response.  It is also a very easy to drive headphone, even easier than the Grado.  I can't say that "overwhelming" describes the 660 in any way.  Many listeners are used to a mid-bass emphasis in headphones and that can be pleasing with pop and jazz but not particularly accurate.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #218 of 406
bbophead,

Thank you very much.
I think your comment will stop my hesitations and convince me to buy these cans :)

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #219 of 406
Could somebody comment on DT660's brightness? Doesn't it affect the pleasure of listening?

I am asking this because I've come across such oppinion:
"... DT660 is comfortable and plays string works, including orchestral, quite well. Expect a brighter sound. Piano is slow and organ unbearably bright"

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #220 of 406
  Could somebody comment on DT660's brightness? Doesn't it affect the pleasure of listening?

"... DT660 is comfortable and plays string works, including orchestral, quite well. Expect a brighter sound. Piano is slow and organ unbearably bright"

Emphasis not in the original, provided here for context: http://www.head-fi.org/t/696666/closed-headphones-for-classical-music#post_10097062I've read that a resistor mod might fix the shrillness with organ.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #221 of 406

Yeah, the 660 can be bright but I'm a Grado man so no worries.
normal_smile .gif

When I saw that post you quoted I was mystified by the piano is slow and organ unbearably bright.  Not my experience.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #222 of 406
bbophead,

Still, it does worry me a bit.

I have bought HD419 last year without auditioning them and without much thinking.
The resulit is - they are spending their time in a box, while I am using my old Panasonics.

I can't bear 419's high frequencies and I've noticed my hearing started to drop after listening to it for some time. It was detailed, but not airy, it was bass-heavy, powerful, loud, though it was killing my ears and listening to anything that contained horns or female vocal was making me turn the volume down during that part.
It wasn't a significant waste of money, but still..

That is why I am a bit worried to end up in a simillar situation after buying DT660 :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #223 of 406
  bbophead,

I have bought HD419 last year without auditioning them and without much thinking.
The resulit is - they are spending their time in a box, while I am using my old Panasonics.

I can't bear 419's high frequencies and I've noticed my hearing started to drop after listening to it for some time. It was detailed, but not airy, it was bass-heavy, powerful, loud, though it was killing my ears and listening to anything that contained horns or female vocal was making me turn the volume down during that part.

That is why I am a bit worried to end up in a simillar situation after buying DT660 :frowning2:

In the U.S., I don't know where you are, use amazon for $139, I have amazon prime so no shipping fee and everyone gets return no questions asked.  I don't see/hear a problem.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #224 of 406
The DT660 sound nothing like the HD419. Much cleaner, clearer, more spacious sound.

Quote:
  bbophead,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back