I think I'm trying too hard to like the HE90
Apr 11, 2007 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay it's been more than three weeks and I don't know. I listen to it, and there's a lot to like about the sound. It's a lot more relaxed than the 010 or K 1000. It has nice presence, images well, has good texture. It's got nice air. Bass is okay, but I'm not particularly impressed -- it's just not that defined or tight. Still, it sounds nice, but when I listen to the HE90, I often find myself wanting to switch to the 010 or the K 1000 (or HP1, if I got that gimble fixed dammit). It doesn't happen in reverse.

I find the HE90 to be too euphonic - it's very melodic, but it gets in the way of the music. I find the 010 brings me closer to the sound. The 010 is far leaner and strips away everything away from the sound, leaving only a raw core. The HE90 is far gentler and softer. I can see how many may prefer the HE90, but I'm just used to the raw purity of the 010.

Any thoughts guys? Maybe it's just my sound preferences. Right now I'm running the stock Aristaeus configuration sourced by the m902 - I imagine neither is particularly geared towards bringing the HE90 to my sound.

It's not like I don't like the HE90. I find it's pretty good in most areas. Just not superlative in any area. For me it's a bit of a jack of all trades, with a very romanticized overlay to it. Given I prefer flawed cans with strong character, and warm and musical ain't my sound... I wonder if a properly driven Omega 2 isn't better for texture. I guess I'm just wondering if this ain't for me...

Best,

-Jason

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 110
Just because it's the HE90 doesn't mean it's objectively the best ever or that everyone will automatically like it...

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because it's the HE90 doesn't mean it's objectively the best ever or that everyone will automatically like it...

Well, obviously true. But I think I'm looking for something more than just generalizations here. I remember both pinky and bangradude both commenting on the un-impressiveness of the HE90, but still both finding strong merit in it. Given both also appreciated the strengths of the 010 though they aren't particularly fans of it, and that both preferred other cans (RS-1 and O2, respectively) I guess I'm curious if anyone else can contribute some more insight on keeping the HE90, as both have done... because, I'm awful tempted to sell it.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 110
I think you're going to start getting an onslaught of offers if you keep this up.
biggrin.gif
It's somewhat refreshing to see that you haven't succumbed to the placebo effect. I heard the HE90 for a somewhat limited listening session in a less-than-ideal environment (mini-meet) so my impressions, while very positive, are not my final opinion. I look forward to hearing them again at HeadFest (if they'll be there!).
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 110
when you pay that much for a headphone you should not have to try to like it

time to sell
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 110
Supposedly the HE90/Aristaeus is the best possible combination (Except for perhaps a fully tricked out ES-1 maybe?)... perhaps you are source limited? That really sucks Jjcha :/

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 110
Sadly never heard the 90 but given my preferences I doubt it'd float my boat in the way the k1000 or SR-X do. I'm not a fan of warm or euphonic either, it has to be beating me around the skull a bit to get my attention or I get aurally bored and the music drifts off somewhere else. I dunno, maybe it's just not your sound. It's entirely possible you need more immediacy and drive than a more refined headphone can give.

It certainly sounds like your ears are getting bored and craving more direct input. It's hard to say, as was mentioned, just because they're widely regarded as best doesn't mean best for you. I'd take a long hard look at what you really want from your phones and go from there.

Not liking the HE-90 wont get you ostracised
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 110
Hi Jason! Glad to hear you got your Aristaeus after all that time. But I'm sorry to hear that you are not overwhelmed by it. Have you EVER heard the HE90 really, really do it for you? It could be you are a dynamic HP lover, rather than a e-stat.

Maybe you should contact Blackie and have him build you something for the Qualia or the HD-600. He will build it with speaker posts as well so you can look forward to that part of the sound.

If you sold your current HE90 rig you would probably have $ left over.

Would you consider bringing your rig over and we can compare through my source? I think I have a pretty good dynamic setup and it would make a very, very interesting mini-meet.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly never heard the 90 but given my preferences I doubt it'd float my boat in the way the k1000 or SR-X do. I'm not a fan of warm or euphonic either, it has to be beating me around the skull a bit to get my attention or I get aurally bored and the music drifts off somewhere else. I dunno, maybe it's just not your sound. It's entirely possible you need more immediacy and drive than a more refined headphone can give.

I'll be honest man, every time I look at the pro-biased Stax jack on my Aristaeaus, I go to Yahoo Japan auctions and search for a SR-X MK3 Pro.

No joke.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 110
Haha, then give it till a SR-X MK3 Pro becomes available to win you over ;p

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 110
It must be a preference thing, because I find myself drawn to the HE90 and R10 types of euphoric headphones as oppsed to the Qualia which seems too sterile by comparison. On their own, they're amazing in terms of their raw talent and unmatched (even by the K1000) precision. Yet, I find that I end up analyzing too much and listening too little with the Qualia and thus it's harder to get lost in the music. As with your reaction to the HE90, I don't often find myself reaching for the Qualia. Although they always give a good ride, when the CD is over I'm ready for something else. We're all different.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 110
Also, Jason, I still consider your Dynamight/Qualia rig one of the most "intense" I have ever heard! You seemed to really like it, too. Again, if you sold your HE90 rig you could then get yourself a Dynamight of Dynamights (perhaps with a K1K jack) and a ridiculously good source also.

Your rig has so much value that you have a wonderful variety of options once you recover the $.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay it's been more than three weeks and I don't know. I listen to it, and there's a lot to like about the sound. It's a lot more relaxed than the 010 or K 1000. It has nice presence, images well, has good texture. It's got nice air. Bass is okay, but I'm not particularly impressed -- it's just not that defined or tight. Still, it sounds nice, but when I listen to the HE90, I often find myself wanting to switch to the 010 or the K 1000 (or HP1, if I got that gimble fixed dammit). It doesn't happen in reverse.

I find the HE90 to be too euphonic - it's very melodic, but it gets in the way of the music. I find the 010 brings me closer to the sound. The 010 is far leaner and strips away everything away from the sound, leaving only a raw core. The HE90 is far gentler and softer. I can see how many may prefer the HE90, but I'm just used to the raw purity of the 010.

Any thoughts guys? Maybe it's just my sound preferences. Right now I'm running the stock Aristaeus configuration sourced by the m902 - I imagine neither is particularly geared towards bringing the HE90 to my sound.

It's not like I don't like the HE90. I find it's pretty good in most areas. Just not superlative in any area. For me it's a bit of a jack of all trades, with a very romanticized overlay to it. Given I prefer flawed cans with strong character, and warm and musical ain't my sound... I wonder if a properly driven Omega 2 isn't better for texture. I guess I'm just wondering if this ain't for me...

Best,

-Jason

Daaamn, sounds like a can for me :-/

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 110
while i agree with everything that's been posted, i must also say that the HE90 deserves a source fit for a king. if you want intense, how about dual mono zana deux amps.

the OII might be more to your liking... it's what i (as a sennheiser man) would call edgy and un-euphonic sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back