I think i like jazz.
Aug 24, 2004 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pnrgi

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to alot of nina simone lately.

Any jazz recomendations.

Aug 26, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Aug 26, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 12
if you like nina simone
check out billie holiday, ella fitzgerald, sarah vaughn

and also worth your while:

Lester Young, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles

non vocal stuff that i am currently listening to:
Thelonious Monk, Charlies Mingus, Django Reinhardt (everyone should own a django cd or lp imo)

well that's off the toppa my head

cheers!

Aug 26, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 12
One of my favorites is Wes Montgomery Full House (Live at the Tsubo in Berkeley)
Just found a mint vinyl version too.
CPW

Aug 26, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Aug 27, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 12
I've been buying a lot of jazz CD's from Borders Books lately. There is a series of jazz releases called the Rudy Van Gelder Edition. These are all classic jazz recordings remastered by Rudy Van Gelder. The sound is first rate, the music selection is great and the CD's are priced at $11.99 each. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I'm also a big Patricia Barber fan.

Aug 27, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
I've been buying a lot of jazz CD's from Borders Books lately. There is a series of jazz releases called the Rudy Van Gelder Edition. These are all classic jazz recordings remastered by Rudy Van Gelder. The sound is first rate, the music selection is great and the CD's are priced at $11.99 each. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Those sound interesting Ken. Which ones have you bought so far?
CPW

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Go out of your way to hear Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. www.pianojazz.org Each week you'll get well-exposed to a new artist -- music, anecdotes, and on occassion priceless jazz theory discussions. As indicated on the website, there's mix of legendary performers, today young lions, and highly talented unknowns. Primarily straight-ahead but not exclusively so. If it's not broadcast near you (highly unlikely), it can be heard like 30 times a week online.

Edit: Hey -- that was my 1000th post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back