I think I have to say goodbye!
Sep 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
After deciding that I wanted to have a great dynamic setup and being very impressed with the Zana Duex, I think I have to say goodbye to the dynamic world.

I have had the HE60 for about three days, and I have to say that it is the best headphone I have ever heard(this includes the HP1000, K1000, etc.). The tonality, along with the multiple layers of detail make this a near perfect headphone. And this is straight out of the HEV70. Music has never sounded so clear and dynamic, without even a hint of brightness.

The ZD is amazing, especially with the HD600's, W5000's, and K501. But none of them even come close to the performance of the HE60, so I think I am getting rid of everything dynamic in order to grab a good electrostatic amp and the O2's. I think this wouldn't be the case if more high end dynamics were still in production. Either way, I have enjoyed the dynamic experience and am on my way into the world of Stats.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 56
i told you.
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i told you.
biggrin.gif

And I have to give it to you...you were right. I am so glad I went ahead with the purchase!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 56
I enjoy the HE60 on the HEV70 too, but just wait until you hear the HE60 on a better amp like Woo GES. Then add an ESP950 and Lambda Sig and you can't decide which to listen too. It's helped me delay the inevitable O2.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed, ever since I got my O2 MK1s I haven't touched any of my dynamic headphones except to move them out of my way
biggrin.gif

but we also can't forget that a lot of listening and preferences go in cycles. when i first received my HE60, that was all i listened to and i preferred it to everything else, even my O2. then i sent my HE60 to APS for retermination and by default went back to my O2. all of a sudden, the sound out of this thing was magical. then, i got my B52 and i haven't been able to stop listening to my dynamics - mostly my HD650 + zu mobius.

so when being asked the question, "what is better?" you really need to take a step back before you try to answer. and even then it's sometimes really hard, as different systems, different headphones, all have their strengths and weaknesses. i'm really glad that i have a good dynamic and stat setup and i'm not sure if i could really choose between them - at least, not yet.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

but we also can't forget that a lot of listening and preferences go in cycles. when i first received my HE60, that was all i listened to and i preferred it to everything else, even my O2. then i sent my HE60 to APS for retermination and by default went back to my O2. all of a sudden, the sound out of this thing was magical. then, i got my B52 and i haven't been able to stop listening to my dynamics - mostly my HD650 + zu mobius.

so when being asked the question, "what is better?" you really need to take a step back before you try to answer. and even then it's sometimes really hard, as different systems, different headphones, all have their strengths and weaknesses. i'm really glad that i have a good dynamic and stat setup and i'm not sure if i could really choose between them - at least, not yet.

I think is spot on. The first minute I listened to them, I knew they were perfect for my listening preferences. Still, I have tried to listen more and more to my dynamics because I know that we can sometimes be in awe of something new and forget what we loved about our "old" toys. Going back and forth, I realized that the Baby Orpheus has all of the strengths of the W5000(detail), HD600(neutrality), and K501(clarity).

The only thing that is bugging the hell out of me is how what used to sound like decent recordings, are now showing how bad they actually are. It has made some of my favorite tracks unlistenable.
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Very true. Thats why I'm not going to sell my dynamics. My goal was always to have a good dynamic and electrostat setup around
tongue.gif
Although, if money was tight and I was forced to sell, I'd probably sell my dynamic setup.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 56
Between all the flavours of planar, theres no time for dynamics
biggrin.gif

*listening to orthodynamic Stax SR-3N*

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 56
I've had my Stats for many months and still find ways to enjoy my dynamics, and I'm pretty done with my dynamic search and close to the end of my stat search. All I need is an O2 or HE 1.2 but I am happy with what I have.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 56
The SR-404 nearly turned me off electrostats, but I came back in time. The O2 Mk1 makes everything else in my collection pointless, sonically speaking. If I buy more headphones, it will be for curiosity, and variety. On the transportable front there are modded SR-001 rigs, and for portable use there are custom IEMs, and I actually do really like the sound of balanced armatures when they're done right.

The only need for dynamics now is out of sheer convenience. I don't miss them sonically one bit. And if you think that 'stats can't do bass, you should listen to some psy/goa on a well-driven O2 Mk1.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 56
Smart move...
I have gone the same way (and sort of back), and don't regret it. Enjoy!
o2smile.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 56
After just reading the topic I was going to rush in screaming "Noooo.... You cannot leave Head-Fi without trying some 'stats first....."
It was a relief to read the actual content of the original post.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back