I need help to buy my ideal headphones, for Rock and Metal, between $150 and $200.
Sep 10, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #18 of 61
Today I went to guitar center, I tried the ath-m50x and they're kinda the style I'm looking for, they sounded clear and wide. I tried sennheisers 380 pro and I didn't like them at all! They sounded with a lot of mids, not clear at all and just not accurate!

I'm looking for something different from both of this, but a little to the style sound of the m50x, maybe a bit better in the way I'm looking for..

I think I'll buy the soundmagic HP150 this week to try them, and if I don't feel satisfied, I'll just try to return them. I hope they provide what I'm looking for. If anyone knows a better option, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your help

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #19 of 61
Would you say this are proper for rock music and maybe music listening overall? How do they stand compared to sennheisers, Sony, audiotechnica?

I don't plan to use an amp BTW

then Sony, Philips, AT and those Chinese ones, they usually are just 16-32 impedance, meaning any portable player or mini amp can drive/power them without problems.

senns (the lower tiers sound bad btw, overhyped) , beyer and grados on the higher tier range usually have 200+ impedance and require decent amps to run, so you have to spend more on the amps. and dont follow that advice of getting the most expensive grados, for one they are open back and not portable, they need a good amp to pair which cost more than the headphone itself, not really logical for your needs.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #20 of 61
then Sony, Philips, AT and those Chinese ones, they usually are just 16-32 impedance, meaning any portable player or mini amp can drive/power them without problems.

senns (the lower tiers sound bad btw, overhyped) , beyer and grados on the higher tier range usually have 200+ impedance and require decent amps to run, so you have to spend more on the amps. and dont follow that advice of getting the most expensive grados, for one they are open back and not portable, they need a good amp to pair which cost more than the headphone itself, not really logical for your needs.

For a $200, for rock music, what model would you buy though?

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #21 of 61
  I'd simply get the most expensive Grado headphone you can afford in your price range. Just my two cents...

Was just about to ask why someone looking for cans for rock didn't have a single Grado on his to-hear list...

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #24 of 61
I have a set of audio technkca m50xs and love them, you sir have a good taste of music, that list is pretty much what i listen to. :) i am running my headphones through a pioneer 650 watt amp, even though i havnt heard any of those other headphones listed. The m50xs have not dissapointed me no matter what i throw at them. Bass isnt huge but definately there, perfect amount for rock :D

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #25 of 61
TS: if you can wait for late september or october, Sony is going to release thier new flagship headphone, probably the Sony MDR 1A and 1B (not sure if these are the flagship or TOTL for the wired portables). They are more upgraded models of the current 1rmk2 (including driver upgrade, earpads and cables) so they would probably sound better at the same price range. Could be worth the wait?

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 61
TS: if you can wait for late september or october, Sony is going to release thier new flagship headphone, probably the Sony MDR 1A and 1B (not sure if these are the flagship or TOTL for the wired portables). They are more upgraded models of the current 1rmk2 (including driver upgrade, earpads and cables) so they would probably sound better at the same price range. Could be worth the wait?

I have a set of audio technkca m50xs and love them, you sir have a good taste of music, that list is pretty much what i listen to. :) i am running my headphones through a pioneer 650 watt amp, even though i havnt heard any of those other headphones listed. The m50xs have not dissapointed me no matter what i throw at them. Bass isnt huge but definately there, perfect amount for rock :D

I own HP150, they are VERY good , but I would understand if someone think they sound sterile, not me.
Something very different sounding, but still very good: Mad dogs with alpha pads

Grados are open backs, so I don't think Gados would fit your needs. 

Was just about to ask why someone looking for cans for rock didn't have a single Grado on his to-hear list...

From the list of headphones I posted, adding the hd150 and some grado $200 or maybe something else. What would be your first pick? For listening to music overall, with a clean sound like the senns hd598, hd558, ath-m50x, etc

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #27 of 61
From the list of headphones I posted, adding the hd150 and some grado $200 or maybe something else. What would be your first pick? For listening to music overall, with a clean sound like the senns hd598, hd558, ath-m50x, etc

Grado 225i or 225e. Kings of rock if you ask me (or just about anyone in the Grado Fan Club) 

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #28 of 61
  Grado 225i or 225e. Kings of rock if you ask me (or just about anyone in the Grado Fan Club) 

sadly I have tinnitus so you cant listen to them for more than an hr or I literally go deaf on one ear and hear nothing but ringing. thats why I got the mdr 1rmk2 which are very mellow sounding compared to grados, but still sound amazing in my rock collection.

doesn't the 225i and e need a powerfull amp?

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 61
sadly I have tinnitus so you cant listen to them for more than an hr or I literally go deaf on one ear and hear nothing but ringing. thats why I got the mdr 1rmk2 which are very mellow sounding compared to grados, but still sound amazing in my rock collection.

doesn't the 225i and e need a powerfull amp?

That's sad to hear! Glad you've been able to find a work around.

No! Quite the opposite actually. They are easily powered by just about anything.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #30 of 61
the answer is a YAMAHA MT220 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back