I need help to buy my ideal headphones, for Rock and Metal, between $150 and $200.
Sep 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #46 of 61
He's looking for isolation, though.

Isolation is overrated. 
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #48 of 61
What headphones should I get?
frown.gif

I have $200 and want some nice headphones for rock music, clean sound, not to middy! Preferably closed or somewhat closed

Thank you!

If you want closed/somewhat closed, then Grado's are out. Here are some suggestions of closed headphones I've tried:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-22-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #49 of 61
If you want closed/somewhat closed, then Grado's are out. Here are some suggestions of closed headphones I've tried:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-22-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Have you tried or heard about the soundmagic hp150? They seem closed, portable and good for rock. I've been reading about them. Remember this are for personal music on my phone, not mixing or studio work. So I'm looking for something with about 32ohms, not too flat and more clear and with definition. A little like ath-m50x, but somewhat different. Like for example I was today on my moms truck which has Bose sound and it sounds super clear, it doesn't have too much mids, its mostly highs and bass. I've tried Bose headphones and don't like them ironically, but idk if you know what I mean! Clear bright but not annoying sound with nice defined bass!

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #50 of 61
For a nice closed, on-ear (still comfortable) you could get an Audio Technica ESW9 or ES10. I loved both of them for rock.

Audio Technica headphones in general are great for vocals IME. Both headphones have awesome bass impact, treble that won't fatigue, and awesome mids.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #51 of 61
For a nice closed, on-ear (still comfortable) you could get an Audio Technica ESW9 or ES10. I loved both of them for rock.

Audio Technica headphones in general are great for vocals IME. Both headphones have awesome bass impact, treble that won't fatigue, and awesome mids.

I've read that esw9 are not too bright and middy, is it true? What's the sound difference between those and ath-m50x? I just like bright clear sounds with bass, not that much focus on mids, at least not excessive mids that get into the vocals and bass and it all sounds messy and dirty.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #52 of 61
get the SoundMagic HP150. they should work without much amping ? btw do you have an amp ?

What headphones have you tried and liked?

I'd simply get the most expensive Grado headphone you can afford in your price range. Just my two cents...

The sub-bass is elevated, not the mid-bass, so while I wouldn't call these phones neutral, they are very clear because bass doesn't intrude on the mids.  If anything this headphone is quite revealing of flaws in the recording, if you like a dry, analytical sound this would be a good choice.

Was just about to ask why someone looking for cans for rock didn't have a single Grado on his to-hear list...

I have a set of audio technkca m50xs and love them, you sir have a good taste of music, that list is pretty much what i listen to. :) i am running my headphones through a pioneer 650 watt amp, even though i havnt heard any of those other headphones listed. The m50xs have not dissapointed me no matter what i throw at them. Bass isnt huge but definately there, perfect amount for rock :D

I own HP150, they are VERY good , but I would understand if someone think they sound sterile, not me.
Something very different sounding, but still very good: Mad dogs with alpha pads

the answer is a YAMAHA MT220 :p

Beyerdynamic DT-250's.

80 ohm if you're using something like an iPhone as a source, 250 ohm if you're using a desktop amp or stereo receiver.

I have an 80 ohm pair at work out of a mini3 and a 250 ohm pair at home out of a receiver, and they sound good with literally everything except bad recordings. They've also lasted over five years of hard use.

Very good isolation for how light they are, and the velour pads are quite comfortable.

They look sort of, er, industrial though - I like it, but you might not.

Okay guys, I'm gonna make a list and you guys tell me which headphones you would choose for what I'm looking for (first post)

SoundMagic HP150
Sony MDR-1R
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A
Audio Technica ATH-WS99
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO-32
Beyerdynamic T50p Tesla
V-Moda XS
Grado Prestige SR125i
Yamaha PRO 400
Yamaha MT220 (Maaybe, don't have the money for them so don't really count them unless they're THAT worth it)

I don't plan to use an amp at all, just play music on my Nexus 5 and maybe on my laptop!

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #53 of 61
Okay guys, I'm gonna make a list and you guys tell me which headphones you would choose for what I'm looking for (first post)

SoundMagic HP150
Sony MDR-1R
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A
Audio Technica ATH-WS99
Shure SRH840
Beyerdynamic DT-770-PRO-32
Beyerdynamic T50p Tesla
V-Moda XS
Grado Prestige SR125i
Yamaha PRO 400
Yamaha MT220 (Maaybe, don't have the money for them so don't really count them unless they're THAT worth it)

I don't plan to use an amp at all, just play music on my Nexus 5 and maybe on my laptop!

Some people complain about the lack of bass speed on the shure srh 840. Probably not good for rock.
The ath m50 (which i have tried) also has a bit of sluggish bass. Its acceptable for rock but its probably not my first choice.

The sennheiser amperior has been discontinued (hd25 alluminum is the "new " version) so the price should be dropping a lot. Its a bit brighter and has faster bass than the vmoda xs according to lachlanlikesathing.

There are lots of complaints for the t50p's sub bass (i think the dt1350 and onkyo es fc300 would be a bit safer)

I think the safest choices are the soundmagic hp150 and the sennheiser amperior.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #54 of 61
I've read that esw9 are not too bright and middy, is it true? What's the sound difference between those and ath-m50x? I just like bright clear sounds with bass, not that much focus on mids, at least not excessive mids that get into the vocals and bass and it all sounds messy and dirty.

I really liked the mids on my ESW9. The highs are rolled off, but not too much, the bass is awesome. They are so much more clear sounding than the M50 and less V-shaped.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #55 of 61

btw how did the mdr 1r get a 2.5 on mids and a 4 on bass. lol seriously, thats even worse compared to people buying the mk2's and removing the sound dampers on the cup for dynamate because they read about the 1r's dynamat mod.
blink.gif

did you test all of them using a standard test setup with blind testing random volunteers?

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #57 of 61
Have you tried or heard about the soundmagic hp150? They seem closed, portable and good for rock. I've been reading about them. Remember this are for personal music on my phone, not mixing or studio work. So I'm looking for something with about 32ohms, not too flat and more clear and with definition. A little like ath-m50x, but somewhat different. Like for example I was today on my moms truck which has Bose sound and it sounds super clear, it doesn't have too much mids, its mostly highs and bass. I've tried Bose headphones and don't like them ironically, but idk if you know what I mean! Clear bright but not annoying sound with nice defined bass!

Sorry I haven't.

btw how did the mdr 1r get a 2.5 on mids and a 4 on bass. lol seriously, thats even worse compared to people buying the mk2's and removing the sound dampers on the cup for dynamate because they read about the 1r's dynamat mod.
blink.gif

did you test all of them using a standard test setup with blind testing random volunteers?

Because I felt the mids were on the muddy side of things and a bit distant compared to the other headphones. As well, the upper mids were a bit on the weird side and female vocals sounded off pudding with some of my favourite recordings. I would like to hear the Mk2s to see if Sony made some changes.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #58 of 61

Sorry I haven't.

Because I felt the mids were on the muddy side of things and a bit distant compared to the other headphones. As well, the upper mids were a bit on the weird side and female vocals sounded off pudding with some of my favourite recordings. I would like to hear the Mk2s to see if Sony made some changes.

hmm I did hear the mk1's when i bought my mk2 and most of my songs are female vocals, maybe late production changes? oh well.

the mk2 is updated of the originals weaknesses and problems (some still have jack rattle in cold climate regions) but too many got a bad taste of the mk1 so they got ignored mostly. lol doesn't matter sony is releasing the 1a/1b so thats a clear upgrade there if thier engineer's weren't drunk during work hours.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #59 of 61
Someone was selling mt220 for usd120 on the buysell recently.

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #60 of 61
At the moment listening to a combination of, Throw the fight, Jamies elsewhere and our last night.
Cranking them through my m50x's and melting :D
In my opinion perfect for metal, but i am running them through 650 watt pioneer amp with bass at max.
but even unamped they are great.
Havn't heard any of the other headphones but I am just giving my opinion of the m50x's :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back