I need good headphones but cant afford the Beats by Dre, whats my next best option?
Jun 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bebop73

New Head-Fier
I need good headphones under 250$, I cant and dont want to get the Beats by Dre. Im looking for look ( 8 out of 10 ), comfort( 5 out of 10 ), and sound quality/sound canceling ( 10 out of 10 )

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Sound quality 10/10 for under $200? Not very realistic, but I suppose sound quality is relative to what you are used to hearing. BTW most headphones as far as I'm concerned cannot be described as "good" or "bad" (although there are some exceptions). Each headphone is different from every other one in some way and whether that's good or bad is up to you. Help us help you. What kind of music do u listen to the most and what kind of sound are you looking for?

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 7
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm, Ultrasone HFI-780, Sennheiser HD25-II 1, and Phiaton MS400.

Jun 30, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Denon AH-D 2000

I paid $230 for mine.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I need good headphones under 250$, I cant and dont want to get the Beats by Dre. Im looking for look ( 8 out of 10 ), comfort( 5 out of 10 ), and sound quality/sound canceling ( 10 out of 10 )

Two quick questions here.  If you had to split "sound quality/sound canceling" into two separate scores, what would they be?  Secondly, by "sound cancelling" do you mean to say that it must absolutely have active noise cancelling (i.e. battery powered noise cancellation circuitry) or is good isolation enough?

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Denon AH-D2000 is a brilliant phone and I got mine for around $230 as well. They are hard to match. However, they aren't very portable as they are a semi-sealed headphone. Which means the back is covered to block out some sound but it bleeds pretty well in both directions. I recommend them as a home set.

However, I have other suggestions.

Sennheiser HD-25 MKII is a legend in the headphone community. It's loved and used by people all across the board and is a very popular DJ headphone. It has great sound and superb build quality. Also isolates pretty well. You can get these for around $200.

The suggestion of the Beyerdyamic was a good one, too, as it's considered a slight successor to the HD-25 as it has an all-around better sound. They will cost you more, though.

If we move away from over/on-ear headphones we get into IEMs. These have the benefit of providing strong sound with the best isolation. However, some people don't find them as comfortable. I'm not one of those people but some are.

In that area I'd recommend Shure. For that price range they offer some solid options. If you want to stay less expensive I'd also say looking at what you can get from Ultimate Ears. The Triple.Fi can sometimes be found for that price range and if you can manage it they're one of the best sounding IEMs you can buy without going custom.

The thing is, every single one of these headphones will give you better sound than any Beats headphone. Beats aren't known for their quality here on Head-Fi because people here tend to want more than over-powering bass with weak everything else. To most headfiers, Beats sound muddy and that's kind of on purpose. They're a fashion accessory, not a serious headphone.

At the end of the day, here's the short of it: When you ask people why they bought Beats they'll say, "Because so-and-so wears them and he's famous so he must know." When you ask someone why they bought a set of Denon AH-D2000's they'll say, "Because they sound like they should cost twice what they do."

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

"I...don't want to get the Beats by Dre." You're off to a good start! 

Now, what it boils down to is finding a headphone that goes well with your sonic preferences and favorite genres.

When it comes to music, what sounds better? Having headphones that are fun to listen to (loud bass) or headphones that sound accurate (normal bass)?

What kind of genres do you listen to? What headphones do you think look good? Where are you going to be listening? What do you listen off of? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back