Sure. You bring the strawberries?
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hands off he's mine...

...he being the ESW10s...

Bring it on grandpa, bring it on!
angry_face.gif

Oh, wait, I got confused between the two shiny red objects...
biggrin.gif

Well, on a more serious note, I don't think that sibilance is a problem (in general) with AT cans, they tend to smooth over any sharp edges in the music. I'm very sensitive to sibilance; I nearly died when I tried the '05 DT990...
eek.gif

I've listened to the AD2k via Pico and I didn't find them sibilant at all. My ES7 has no problem with sibilance too, same with my W11jpn (I miss you
frown.gif
). ATs are awesome because their sound sig is between Grado and Senn, best of both worlds.
beerchug.gif

Go team AT.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #18 of 94
Wow, that was an extremely well written review. I love how you broke down how each headphone deals with different types of instruments and sounds. A+ even though I'm not interested in either can (although I admit to wanting the esw10s for their lovely wood).

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #20 of 94
thanks for the review man.

i have the good fortunate to audition both cans in my home country and it was a real amazing experience especially with the esw10.

the bass is really very good with affecting the mids, details and clarity.

sadly i am still a student and have no money for such expensive headphones but the experience of listening to the esw10 was a beautiful moment for me.

regards.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review! Kinda makes me want the ESW10s beside my AD2000's. I'm sure my portable Voyager would do them justice since they have that extra sparkle. I also remember you saying on some thread that you're more resistant to sibilance than Head-Fiers in general..
smily_headphones1.gif

So people beware! Though while the AD2000's actually sound even brighter than my 325i's now, they are nowhere near sibilant. The involving/full element is what's drawing me to that woody sound..

Ugh!

-K

Just do it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review Red
smily_headphones1.gif
I usually dislike the reviews trying to dissect gear performance for its "sounds", and not including much references to complex music -like orchestral classical-, which is where IMHO you can spot better some shortcomings. However yours is comprehensive and leaves room for "understanding". It makes me being more eager to receive my pair hahahaha.

Rgrds

I actually was trying to stay away from doing "sound" review initially. But I realized that both cans present music in very fluid, cohesive manner that it's almost impossible to find faults as a whole. Therefore, I had to do some nit-picking. I would say AD2000, as a whole, did most genres better than ESW10, save for piano solos.

They really do present orchestras in different ways as AD2K relies more on balance and presenting music in separate (yet still very coherent as a whole) manner, while ESW10 does it in more wholesome way. (did that make sense?)

I found it was harder to nit-pick on ESW10 than AD2000s, due to its "togetherness" compared to AD2000s. Mind you, many of faults I've listed are not really faults, as both AD2K and ESW10 presents each instruments with great precision, while AD2K being more transparent and better transition.

Also, in complex orchestral suites, it was impossible to follow 30+ instruments at the same time, so I had to re-listen to the track over and over again, trying to isolate one instrument section to how they sound as an individual.

Overall, I think AD2K's presentation surpasses ESW10 in most regards, as both large orchestra, string quartet, chamber, choral music seemed more realistic and holographic. While ESW10 had the edge in portraying more emotion in piano solos and some instruments such as alto sax.

Thank you very much for compliments
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, on a more serious note, I don't think that sibilance is a problem (in general) with AT cans, they tend to smooth over any sharp edges in the music. I'm very sensitive to sibilance; I nearly died when I tried the '05 DT990...
eek.gif

I've listened to the AD2k via Pico and I didn't find them sibilant at all. My ES7 has no problem with sibilance too, same with my W11jpn (I miss you
frown.gif
). ATs are awesome because their sound sig is between Grado and Senn, best of both worlds.
beerchug.gif

Go team AT.
wink.gif

L3000, on the other hand... Mmmmm Some day mate, some day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Red and others,
About the ad2000 and sa5000 being quite similar in sound signature, I have not heard the ad2000 but from the folowing comparisonI concluded that they are quite similar:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/spe...mpared-319009/

Greetings, Anouk,

while they shared many technical aspects, I thought AD2K and SA5000s were more different than being similar, with most notable aspects being overall balance between Bass,Mids and Treble, and also their presentation of midrange. Which makes them quite distinct from one another IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that was an extremely well written review. I love how you broke down how each headphone deals with different types of instruments and sounds. A+ even though I'm not interested in either can (although I admit to wanting the esw10s for their lovely wood).

Ahh, you still wouldn't try one out at a local meet if you had the chance though ?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great review, Red! Very nice write up.

thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the review man.

i have the good fortunate to audition both cans in my home country and it was a real amazing experience especially with the esw10.

the bass is really very good with affecting the mids, details and clarity.

sadly i am still a student and have no money for such expensive headphones but the experience of listening to the esw10 was a beautiful moment for me.

regards.

Just do it....sell off your body parts
wink.gif
you only need 1 kidney! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want the romantic dinnner...

Line up behind Fitz, Jonathan, WreckedPorche....I'm guessing around 5 year wait. Also my gf has to approve it beforehand.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Red, Lol those where some funny posts. Thanks a lot for the review! I am still (not so) patiently waiting for my esw10jpn to clear customs. I have the osny sa5000 here at the mometn and I am quite happy with them! I have read that they are quite close i sound signature to the ad2000, so I wont be buying htem. I wonder though it either you or headphoneaddict has ever heard the top w5000 and if it is very different from the ad2000? I know, this is getting rather off-topic, but I am very new to at and its house sound (or lack there off), and since I heard that ad2000/w5000 are close to the sa5000 and since I am so very happy with it, I am ery interested in other headphones like it!
Thanks,
Greetings, Anouk,

I have heard naamanf's W5000 and didn't like them - I thought the mids were a little honky and the bass was lacking. We tried them on my WA6 (before the Sophia Princess rectifier) and my Dark Voice 336i and my Travagans Red and my Apogee mini-DAC headphone out, and none of my amps worked with them. naamanf brought his m^3 with OPA627 and bass contour knob, and with the bass turned up they didn't sound so bad but I decided I wouldn't ever buy a W5000.

I am sure I like the ATH-A900 Limited or my modded A900 Art better, despite the lack of detail and resolution because they are more musical and involving. I am also certain I would prefer these ESW10 over the W5000.

My AD2000 should be here tomorrow, but they have also been recabled by Moon Audio with Cardas cable and plug and are used, so I will compare them to the ESW10 after the ESW10 are burned-in fully.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Line up behind Fitz, Jonathan, WreckedPorche....I'm guessing around 5 year wait. Also my gf has to approve it beforehand.
wink.gif

Your gf can come. Also: You replied to all these in ONE post, thereby reducing post count! <gasp!>

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #25 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AD2000 should be here tomorrow, but they have also been recabled by Moon Audio with Cardas cable and plug and are used, so I will compare them to the ESW10 after the ESW10 are burned-in fully.

good to hear, I'm looking forward to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Your gf can come. Also: You replied to all these in ONE post, thereby reducing post count! <gasp!>

I need so slow down with posting..

....nah
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #26 of 94
Quote:

I need so slow down with posting..

....nah
evil_smiley.gif

At this rate, neither of us will graduate. I have a stack of unanalyzed data.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 94
Quote:

At this rate, neither of us will graduate. I have a stack of unanalyzed data.

at least you have data to analyze.

My volunteers has been captive in my lab for 3 weeks now.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 94
Hi red, thanks for the additional comments. I do get the Quote:

"They really do present orchestras in different ways as AD2K relies more on balance and presenting music in separate (yet still very coherent as a whole) manner, while ESW10 does it in more wholesome way."

That's probably what I'd like better when using a portable rig, which is the initial purpose of my purchasing them. I can see myself in a silent hotel room while in holidays enjoying some symphonies and piano concerts, and not being annoyed for the mp3 coding... yum yum
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's probably what I'd like better when using a portable rig, which is the initial purpose of my purchasing them. I can see myself in a silent hotel room while in holidays enjoying some symphonies and piano concerts, and not being annoyed for the mp3 coding... yum yum
wink.gif

Fotunately, ESW10s, IME, do orchestras and piano concertos better than ESW9s do, and that tight yet thunderous bass really helps with percussion and cellos mixed in harmony.

If you like piano solos, HD600 may be one of the best tools to do so - just the right amount of depth and richness when amped properly. But as we all know, HD600 and HD650 are very, very difficult to drive properly, and I'm not going to bother with them until I get zana deux or better
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #30 of 94
Quote:

Fotunately, ESW10s, IME, do orchestras and piano concertos better than ESW9s do, and that tight yet thunderous bass really helps with percussion and cellos mixed in harmony.

If you like piano solos, HD600 may be one of the best tools to do so - just the right amount of depth and richness when amped properly. But as we all know, HD600 and HD650 are very, very difficult to drive properly, and I'm not going to bother with them until I get zana deux or better
wink.gif

Yep, not bad at all, but none of those "proper" amps to drive the HD6xx -to my knowledge-, nor the own phones are really portable. For accurate timbre on acoustic instruments the HD600 are hard to beat.
BTW, why are you so interested in the L3000, have you ever listened to them? If so, please let me know, I'm quite curious what's your take on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back