I got robbed
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, this was a couple weeks ago. There was a whole lot of wind and rain here in Sacramento, I moved out for a couple days because there was no power in my neighborhood and when I came back, my back door was broken down and a whole lot of stuff was gone. Most painfully, my guitar, my bass, my flat screen, my philips 963sa, my digital camera and about 150 dvds. They of course left my grado rs1, my tube amps and the rest of my headphones.

What I've learned:

-I am tired of living in the ghetto. (I live in Oak Park, previously at USC lived in south-central)
-It sort of hurts the multiple times a day I think of a scene from a movie only to realize that they stole it from me.
-Watching tv on my new 19" is not nearly as fun as my old 42"
-I really, really miss that guitar. Ibanez acoustic dreadnought I got for my 20th birthday.

Anyways, luckily I have insurance, so we'll see how that goes. Also, it's just stuff, right? Though it would be nice to have my guitar back. Anyone else have any good getting robbed stories?

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 17
Oh yeah, the other good things are that they left my snowboards, skis, my torelli stiletto and my golf clubs. Oh, and my computer. Because the amount of research data on this thing... yeah, I would have completely lost it...

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 17
Be glad you weren't home. Having lived through a home invasion, you're always better not being home when they hit.

It's stuff - you'll get new stuff.

GAD

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be glad you weren't home. Having lived through a home invasion, you're always better not being home when they hit.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Now that would have really sucked.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience goose. It sounds as though you're looking on the bright side of things, which is always good.

Very pleased to know that at least they left you with your music. Hopefully insurance will come through for you nicely.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 17
Yup, it's only stuff. Glad you lived through it without incident.

My fiance suffered a smash/grab robbery a while ago. She had renter's insurance, and thought she was pretty well covered. But upon submitting claims, she was disappointed to find that insurance covers two ways:

1) blanket policy: covers any documented "stuff" and premiums are more expensive. If you don't know what you have for insurance, or you live in a shady neighborhood (high crime rate), you probably don't have much blanket coverage

2) Categorical or specific item coverage: covers only up to a certain amount "per category"

So, if you have "normal" renter's insurance, and you lost a lot of electronics, prepare to fight for your insurance check amounts. They probably have you covered in case a thief steals your sofa, bed, oven (yeah, i'm not kidding)...but have a low limit for pocketable, pawnable electronics and jewelry.

Just an FYI...had we not read the fine print and consulted a laywer friend, she would have gotten a pittance from insurance, despite being "fully covered." It's like salt to the wound.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Sorry to hear about this, Goose. Those bastards!

Hope you are able to recover or replace most of it. Thank goodness no one was hurt in the process.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's stuff - you'll get new stuff.

GAD

Spot on. It is only stuff.

cheers
Simon

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 17
Very sorry to hear .. but glad you are ok.

I've been thru that a few times, once with someone still in the house. Thankfully they didn't get much but it's still an awful and sad thing when it occurs.

My parents once visited a cousin in Germany. My mother's cousin took the train to meet them (before the wall came down) and, with gift in hand for my mother, was pick-pocketed right at the station.

Terrible examples of the sad side of humanity.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 17
Blugh. Sorry to hear about you getting robbed man. At least you're alright, and have insurance. I have had things stolen from me, but never most of my cool stuff. I guess I should consider myself lucky, since Im away at work for three weeks out of the month. I live in a pretty safe little suburb though so I'm not all that worried I suppose.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 17
I don't mean to worry you, but this/these guys might come back. It's not uncommon for B&E types to revisit the same place a month or so later, after everything's been replaced. It worked for them once so why not twice ... with all new stuff? It happened to a friend of mine.

If you are staying in the same place, you might want to consider better/more locks and/or an alarm system of some sort.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to worry you, but this/these guys might come back. It's not uncommon for B&E types to revisit the same place a month or so later, after everything's been replaced. It worked for them once so why not twice ... with all new stuff? It happened to a friend of mine.

If you are staying in the same place, you might want to consider better/more locks and/or an alarm system of some sort.

Yeah, people have been telling me that. I've got an alarm that was died when the power went out. Battery life wasn't quite as I expected. So with the power back I'm a little less worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back