I got a Sony MZ-R900 MD recorder today!
Aug 9, 2001 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Voyager

Do not let me borrow your SportaPros
I just posted this thread because I am filled with joy after purchasing an MZ-R900 MD recorder. This is my first venture into the land of MD and I love it! Review in a week.

Aug 10, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 13
Voyager,

Congrats! I have the MZR900DPC (US model) in pimp red.

Regards - Rey

Aug 10, 2001 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 13
Welcome to the MZR900 Team
smily_headphones1.gif

it is a very nice player. I have had it for hmm 8 weeks or so I say. ( I have 2 other Md players , MZR900 is the latest one)

You will love the unit, especially as your *first unit* You will be so overwhelm with the functions
smily_headphones1.gif
set aside few good hours to explore everything~!

Jude~ enough of the impulse buy
wink.gif
you dont really need to find out the fidelity of it
wink.gif

If you really want one, I believe they go around 320 or so excluding shipping. if you really want one, I can put u in contact with a HK store for a much cheaper price on a new unit. ( 260 or less + shipping) and it takes less than 4 days to receive it.

BTW, you guys know the NEW sony MZR909 is coming out soon ? it is coming out v soon and when that happens, expect MZR900 to drop a little in price
smily_headphones1.gif
( coming out in 8-21-2001, few of my friends already reserved a unit over in Japan!)

http://www.sony.co.jp/sd/CorporateCr...00107/01-0724/

Tides

Aug 10, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 13
Hmmm........can a lowly R700 owner be part of Team MZR900? I mean, what's the difference between having a line-out, nice remote, personal disc memory, and adjustable treble/bass controls and NOT having em?
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 13
Coolvij, What's the difference?! If the R900 didn't have all of those features, I'd have gone for the R700. I got the 900 especialy for those features.

Tides, your right. There are an overwhelming amount of features! I spent last night (and a good part of this morning) trying to figure out how all those features work.

Jude, I got the unit at a local tweeter store, as I don't have a credit card and I like to pay with cash. It cost me $350, but I'm sure that a lot of the cost markup compared to the Japanesse model is from the Digital PC link I didn't want, and probably will never use. As for the fidelity, it's not bad. Almost as good as the CD origional. MDLP 2 is ok, but there is a (IMO) big difference when switching to SP mode. The bass is less distorted mostly. A lot of my CDs copy great, but some have a distorted bass, especially on really low notes which becomes very annoying. I was wondering if anyone knew if digital recordings would help to fix this, as I have no digital line out to record from and have been using analog only so far.

Reynman, That's the one I have!

Mbriant, I'm working on it!

Aug 10, 2001 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Voyager, you're getting distortion on hard bass notes on your recordings? Isn't the recording level adjustable?

Do all MD recorders have adjustable level control? I guess I always just assumed they did.

I know, I know.....I'm sure you've answered all these questions before, portable audio friends, but I'm new to the discussion of MD -- an MD newbie. I don't even have one yet. Be patient with me on this!
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 13
All MDs have adjustable rec. level controls - Sharps let you adjust on the fly, while Sony's have to be in "standby" (paused) mode.

The bass distortion is most likely from your source - low bass notes are actually pretty easy to compress. I think your source may be distortin the notes - OR you have a messed up recording level....

Aug 10, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Voyager: I have a Sony MZ-R50 and have always managed to automatically make perfect copies ( no bass distortion ) by using the optical cable for recording. For analogue recordings you would likely have to manually set the recording level like you would with a cassette deck. For my MZ-R50 the manual suggests you set the peaks at the 7th bar of the 10 bar vu meter. Check your manual for your particular model. It shouldn't be distorting. When you set your levels, make sure you've been sampling parts of the song from your source that contain the loud bass passages, then back the disc to the beginning and start your recording.

Aug 10, 2001 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Yes Jude, the recording level is adjustable. After practicing with more recording, I find this to be the case on only 1 CD. I think that it is a fault with the ATRAC compression or the CD as the distortion occours at high and low recording settings. This occours on the cd in both sp and MDLP 2 modes.

Aug 10, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 13
I have the Sharp 821 and really like it. It has very good sound as compared to the CD. I like it because it is small enough to put in my shirt pocket although it's not really all that lite. The only thing I don't like is the battery life - around 6 hrs play time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back