I clumsily destroyed my 0404 usb. Should I buy another one or are there better options now?
Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
I managed to clumsily trip over some cables in my crowded home office, and my Creative E-MU 0404 usb fell to the floor and got destroyed.

When I bought it, it was the FOTM of the time. But now maybe there are better alternatives in the same price range? What do you people think?

After I have repaired my musical fidelity xcanv3 hybrid tube headphone amp, I will connnect the DAC to it. (I also damaged the xcan that dropped to the floor as well, but I think it was only the volume pot that I ruined. The XCAN is a much more robust build. In any case it's going for repairs to make sure it's all right all the way through.). And then I'll use some orthodynamic headphones with it, most of the time the Audeze LCD-1.

So, should I go for the 0404 usb again, or do I now have new and exciting options that are better? There was nothing wrong with the sound of the 0404, so there was no reason to change it before it got destroyed.

EDIT: Wrong forum... no end to my clumsiness today....

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 3
It fell on the cable-side, so the USB input got damaged. It could probably have been fixed, unless something else got damaged in the accident. My computer complained that the USB port was drawing too much current.... Anyway, my insurance company did not want to repair it. (But they wanted me to hand it over, so I do not have it anymore.)

The difference in quality between the 0404 and the mac book pro headphone out is not fun ..... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back