I am now torn between what to do! Denon D2000, D5000, HD600, HD598, HD650 or?
Mar 16, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #16 of 67
Ah so many opinions....buy one or all with a 30 day money back guarantee and see what your ears think. It's hard to know what you like until you've heard them with your ears, not somebody else's. This is exactly why the quality retailers offer a 30 day money back policy. Call the folks at Headroom, describe your budget, likes and dis-likes. They are very knowledgeable and will help you narrow down your choice; no pressure no obligation.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #19 of 67
I would also suggest the d5k's. Just not a big fan of the Seinn's. I like some impact with sub bass. The d5k does it well. Very good headphone!!

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 67
Atomiccow:
I know that these two headphone are not like each other :)
And I know that this was also not explained well enough from my side, explanation:
When I first got my Audeo PFE122's I actually kinda hated them. They had too shallow bass and too little of it.
But I came from som 50usd in ear's before that which had a lot of bass.
So I did not use my PFE122's until about 6 months later, and I have never regretted doing the switch.
Once I got used to the way less prominent bass I just kinda fell in love with them!
So for me, it is not just what my taste is, but actually which one is the "best sounding" ie. have best treble or bass and that. Not from a subjective pov, but just actually better definition and SQ.

Gelocks & MalVeaux:
Thank you for your inputs and I think I will be pulling the trigger on some D5000's.

Mar 18, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 67
If you want detailed, why not something Etymotic? Although they are IEMs and im not sure if you want that.
How about the Beyerdynamic DT880s but im not sure about the low end bass extension but great clarity in treble.
Based on your preferences, out of the headphones you listed, hd600 or denon 5000. you should also think about open vs closed..
btw denon and sennheiser are very different in price... 

Good luck!

:
As the title suggests I am torn between what headset to buy!
I had been researching for a long time (before christmas) till now to find out what I wanted.
A little info on me:

I have Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which have been set as analytical IEM's in a IEM mashup thread on here.
I really like the level of detail they provide! the treble is so sparkly yet not to prominent. What I lack from those would be some more low end bass (maybe called sub bass, I am not sure), and even maybe some more detailing.
And that is what I seek from a set of cans.
I have listened to the D2000 back a week before christmas, but I did not have the time to listen to them properly.
So today I used the Beyer DT 770 80 ohm PRO, and was shocked at how badly they sound contra what I remembered them as. I am using them home (it's my brothers) so I can really test them out against my PFE122.
They really lack detail compared to those. Sure the Beyer have lots of bass and treble, but the treble is not that refined at all.

That got me thinking that I might be remembering the D2000 wrong. Is it a good detailed can? or would I be better off with the D5000, or maybe some of the sennheiser models.

My gear atm is either my desktops onboard dac and amp, or my Onkyo HT-R370 used as dac and amp.
My music that I am testing it with for clarity is flac files and apple lossless primarily. I do use some youtube videos as well to get voice and such.

So now I dont have any idea what to get! I have read alot about all these cans, and I seem to find a trend that people call the HD 650, 600 and 598 a bit veiled, as in not that much detail in the treble, and to lack some low end bass (sub bass?) and to be more warm. Is this correct, and how would it be compared to the denon lineup or even better, to the PFE 122 or Beyer DT770's.

I would want my new cans to have a good detailed treble, I really hate headsets without good detail there (almost makes me want to cry). And I would want them to have bass and bass extension. I am not a bass head anymore, I just still like to have my bass at normal levels, and that is what is missing on my PFE 122, there could be a litlle bit more bass and some more low end bass.

I hope this is not too much to ask for, so I hope that all you out there with some knowledge and experience could help me here! My budget can stretch to around the price of D5000 and HD 650's. maybe more if that set of cans would be the obvious choice.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #24 of 67

Quote:
The closed back on the Denons reflects sound and will produce a muffling / echoey effect characteristic of closed headphones which may make them sound less bright.

Nah it's not that.  I've had extensive experience with perhaps one of the brightest headphones on the market-- the DT990, and the HD650 is far from dark sounding compared to it.  The HD650 just isn't a dark sounding headphone at all, it drives upper mids straight into your ears.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 67
Mmmm entirely down to preference....

Ideally you woukd want the HD650 for some genres such as classical etc. and the D5000 for other genres such as electronic music etc.

Although I would say the HD650 is the best all rounder for all genres it is not as good as the D5000 for electronic or bass heavy music. Also depends if you prefer really bright emphasised treble or not.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 67
Go with either the HD650 or D5000. 

The HD650 has clearer mids and highs, but doesn't provide quite the brightness at the mid and low end that the D5000s have. Either way, both are good choices.

The HD650s sound much better powered with an amp, while the D5000s don't necessarily need the extra juice. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #30 of 67
I suggest giving the Grado 325is a try… since you want detail in treble and lots of bass and they are within your price range. The treble on those are heavenly and huge amounts of detail. However, people generally consider them bright but it depends if you already have listened to bright headphones you might like them too. It's like an acquired taste. I also have the D2000 and HD598s but they are not as detailed as the grados in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back