I am back! Help me to spend $3000
Feb 19, 2008 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I am back! Well, I was into speakers for a while, since I will become a father soon
tongue.gif
It also means it is the end of my speakers life, and I decide to back to headphone again.

After I sold all my speakers stuff, I have around $3000 to spend on headphone and amp, so can you guys help me to spend it?
wink.gif
Maybe I will start with a new stax sr-007a and tube amp, where is the cheapest place to buy them? Or do you guys have any suggestion? I do not follow up with headphone stuff for a while, would you guys suggest few great tube amp? I am only interested in tube amp.

Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Seems like head-fi are getting bigger and bigger....

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 13
heres how to spend ur 3000$

donate 1000$ to me so i can get my UE11 customs
donate 1000$ to me so i can get my GS-1000 Grados
donate 500$ to me so i can get my apogee duet
donate 500$ to me so i can get my itouch 32 gb

woo!!!

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncledan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I am back! Well, I was into speakers for a while, since I will become a father soon
tongue.gif
It also means it is the end of my speakers life, and I decide to back to headphone again.

After I sold all my speakers stuff, I have around $3000 to spend on headphone and amp, so can you guys help me to spend it?
wink.gif
Maybe I will start with a new stax sr-007a and tube amp, where is the cheapest place to buy them? Or do you guys have any suggestion? I do not follow up with headphone stuff for a while, would you guys suggest few great tube amp? I am only interested in tube amp.

Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like a great start! What do you prefer in headphones though?

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm a Dad, a good one from what I hear. Why are you giving up speakers up again? Man, don't believe the hype. If speakers make you happy Great!!! A child should not make the decision for you. My 21 month old son likes whatever I do. The music, the equipment. What ever I do. I work at the local food bank and he loves spending the day there with me. Please go over all your options. That is all that I am asking????

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 13
kids need to watch ice age, cars, ratatoullie in surround sounds too, as well as the usual fare of barney and sesame street.

how can your kids give up listening to barney in surround sounds? c'mon. you've gotta teach them the beauty of speakers.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Spend on your holidays, go away for some trip, relax man, cos you will be need it really hard in the future
biggrin.gif

But if you still want the hphones, well, buy K1000 with a proper amp, cos it will be easy to kick off from the speakers.

On the other hand, anything you would choose, don't have to be USD 3000 rig, you know. Just look around, spend more time for reading and asking some questions.

I am a father to and when you become one, you time will fly like a Shuttle to a space. Time is just not there anymore, only the moments
So to tell you the true, I am thinking of building a high end portable rig and say good buy to my home one. Not sure yet, but possible.

This hobby is crazy, however still like it a lot...
cool.gif

Quote:

tongue.gif

wink.gif

Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Benchmark DAC1 USB
BADA PH-12 tube amp
AKG K701 headphones

That's my dream-rig at least
smily_headphones1.gif
And it will cost you less than 3000 dollars. Buy it used and you'll come off with much left to spend. Buy a surround-sound-system (500 bucks) for your kid.

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

tongue.gif

wink.gif

Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I can understand where both you and BIG POPPA are coming from.

I kept my speaker set up but only (with a 4 year old and another on the way) get to use it when I get the house to myself. I may try and re-house it in a seperate building but ATM it shares space with the entertainment centre so the room is used more for that purpose, focussed on children's programs of course
rolleyes.gif
. So the headphone setups are essential. But, boy, those times I do get to re-fire up the speaker system make it well worth keeping. And, as BIG POPPA implies, kids learn the best habits from Day One. If you teach them how precious the equipment is to you and the "do's" and "don'ts", they catch on very quickly IMHO.

As to recommendations for a system I recall you enjoy electrostatics and I think you still would. Perhaps the best for you to try is the current FOTM electrostatic - HeAudio EH-1.3 & EH-1.2B Electrostatic Headphones - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio. Check out the opinions in that thread but, if you order soon, you'll get the latest version in 2 months at the still discounted price (If you leave your ordering too late the price will go up!). They could be driven by a number of amps, including a Stax, Woo or other tube amp. Which should leave you some spare change for good ICs, etc.

If you still want to go with a SR-007 (i.e. O2) you could still probably get an occasional bargain off EBay Japan. To get new go for EIFL or other direct-from-Japan sites.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

tongue.gif

wink.gif

Thanks!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

All depends, what kind of music and way of presentation you like. Last Friday I have comparison between Stax systems: SRM-727 amp; old SR-007 and new SR-007 MkII, vs my Ultrasone E9 and ASL Twin-Head.
Stax is more warm, sweet, gentle, mild and close to the listener. Vocals are bigger and more exposed from background. Generally, relaxing and subtle, but very involving sound. Irreplaceable for female vocals and intimate music.
On the other hand with Stax there was less details, no power, no spectacular bass, no dramaturgy, no such intenseness. So, for rock or orchestral music good dynamic system is better.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for all the advise. Currently, I have a B&W speakers setup (803S, htm3s and 805S). Everytime, I mean EVERYTIME, when I invite my friends to my home, their kids will try to climb up on the sofa and try to touch or pull the tweeters from my B&W speakers. Man, I scare my new coming baby will do the same while I am not home. Also, I am worry he/she will kick the woofer and throw toy to the speaker. hmmm...

Therefore, I plan to downgrade my speaker system, maybe buy a BIG-BOX 5.1 system. :)
Then spend the rest of money on my headphone system. I will try to put my setup on the top of bookcase so my kid is not able to touch. When my kid is old enough (around 8), then I will buy a better speakers setup.

Anyway, I love female vocal and classical music. Stax setup will be a good choice, do you guys have any other suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back