Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 18, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #5,102 of 18,580
I placed an order for a black M Scaler on 12/03/18 at my authorized dealer in the United States for which I paid in full. As of today, I am still waiting for a shipping confirmation. Can anyone offer their thoughts on the availability of M Scalers at the moment. Is there an estimated amount of time that is common for them to become available after ordering? Thanks.
Moon-Audio site has black M-Scalers available for shipping now.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #5,103 of 18,580
Qobuz beta testing. iPeng (iPad)->Innuos Zenith SE->IsoRegen->M Scaler->Dave->Utopias.

Wow! Loving hi-res classical (Patricia Kopatchinskaja and Polina Leschenko's Deux) and CD quality Aretha streaming. Compared with Deux on CD, hi res is more detailed with a greater sense of performance space and musical kinetics (Ms. Kopatchinskaja is amazing!). Looking forward to the final Qobuz USA release and access to Qobuz Sublime.

Looking forward to Roon Integration, but not a show-stopper.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #5,104 of 18,580
haven't heard much complaining of availability of HMS in the US around here...

Those of us complaining are mostly preorder types I think. From folks I’ve chatted with that preordered HMS’s, they’re either in hand or about to be in hand this month.

Pure guess work, but depending on whether your dealer ordered inventory stock or not, I’d **guess** Feb/Mar.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #5,105 of 18,580
With Mscaler not having On/Off button and using input signal detection to turn on/off automatically, are people using INPUT button (to an unconnected input) as the way to turn it off? Preventing it from turning on automatically for example from Windows sounds on desktop PC. Does that work that way?

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #5,106 of 18,580
Those of us complaining are mostly preorder types I think. From folks I’ve chatted with that preordered HMS’s, they’re either in hand or about to be in hand this month.

Pure guess work, but depending on whether your dealer ordered inventory stock or not, I’d **guess** Feb/Mar.

are you referring to TT2? i assume everyone who preordered an HMS already got theirs. i did.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #5,107 of 18,580
@Rob Watts

Hi Rob,

I am currently considering the use of a 75Ohm Atlas Mavros BNC Coax pair for my M-Scaler to TT 2 interface and I am contemplating the length of cable to purchase, hoping to get 0.5m cables to save some money; in the case of possible reflections through the cable which are ultimately impossible to avoid 100% of the time and resulting in the loss of bit perfect data at the DAC end, I need to know what transition time is output by the M-scaler. I think the AES3 protocol standard / IEC 60958 calls for a transition time no greater than 25 ns, but in the case it is 25ns, I would need a 1.5m coax to ensure reflections are highly unlikely to superimpose themselves on transitions occurring back at the DAC input, resulting in time shifted transitions.

Would you be kind enough to help; even if you are reluctant to disclose any technical specs of your products or technologies implemented to mitigate transmission jitter please do advise if a high quality 0.5m coax pair would suffice to ensure the TT 2 attains bit perfect data from the M-Scaler.

The coax cable lengths provided by Chord in the M-Scaler box are just 1.0m, so that's a bit of a hint...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #5,108 of 18,580
With Mscaler not having On/Off button and using input signal detection to turn on/off automatically, are people using INPUT button (to an unconnected input) as the way to turn it off? Preventing it from turning on automatically for example from Windows sounds on desktop PC. Does that work that way?

I use manual input selection and just leave the MScaler running without bothering to try to get it to go into standby mode because IMO the power consumption is negligible.

Jan 19, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #5,109 of 18,580
Only bit of criticism on the mscaler is the user interface - I find glowing lights to be an extremely poor choice to figure out what’s going on with a device. We are expcected to memorize 3 different color schemes or to consult a manual for the many times we need to change a setting? C’mon... Can’t be that much more expensive to implement an LCD screen, if the primary motivation for inclusion of these glowing lights is financial.

One of the many positives of the mscaler though - harpsichords are now actually listenable.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #5,110 of 18,580
Why change settings? Just use the remote to select inputs. What else is there to change?

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #5,111 of 18,580
Only bit of criticism on the mscaler is the user interface - I find glowing lights to be an extremely poor choice to figure out what’s going on with a device. We are expcected to memorize 3 different color schemes or to consult a manual for the many times we need to change a setting? C’mon... Can’t be that much more expensive to implement an LCD screen, if the primary motivation for inclusion of these glowing lights is financial.

One of the many positives of the mscaler though - harpsichords are now actually listenable.
The lcd on tt2 is really nice. It compliments the coloured balls.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #5,114 of 18,580
I use manual input selection and just leave the MScaler running without bothering to try to get it to go into standby mode because IMO the power consumption is negligible.
Thanks. My problem was not mainly power consumption, but it producing sounds. Being permanently connected to a desktop PC, many times Windows or some applications produce sound, but I want all sound off. Of course I can turn off sound on Windows, but I was checking the way to turn it off on Mscaler itself. So the INPUT button is the way to do it. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,115 of 18,580
Thanks. My problem was not mainly power consumption, but it producing sounds. Being permanently connected to a desktop PC, many times Windows or some applications produce sound, but I want all sound off. Of course I can turn off sound on Windows, but I was checking the way to turn it off on Mscaler itself. So the INPUT button is the way to do it. Thanks.

Ah, I understand. Yes, in which case I suppose that having manual input selection and just switch to an unused input on the MScaler would achieve what you want.

I achieve silence just by muting my Dave and leaving my source and the MScaler still active.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back