Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 23, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #18,406 of 18,483
I thought that AES was not designed into the MScaler artchitecture.
That means that extracting the data would be non-trivial, surely. :slight_smile:
I suspect it is because AES/EBU protocol is a 4FS max at 24 bits whereas the MScaler is a 32-bit 16FS upscaler.

The easiest way would be to purchase a USB to AES/EBU format converter. The Mutec MC3+USB can do this trick as I'm sure there are many other devices on the market that do likewise. Not sure on sound quality. The Mutec, in my system at least, is brilliant at simply reclocking an existing AES/EBU signal but is not quite the same when USB is converted to AES/EBU.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #18,407 of 18,483
I suspect it is because AES/EBU protocol is a 4FS max at 24 bits whereas the MScaler is a 32-bit 16FS upscaler.

The easiest way would be to purchase a USB to AES/EBU format converter. The Mutec MC3+USB can do this trick as I'm sure there are many other devices on the market that do likewise. Not sure on sound quality. The Mutec, in my system at least, is brilliant at simply reclocking an existing AES/EBU signal but is not quite the same when USB is converted to AES/EBU.
But the USB on the M-Scaler is an input, not an output. I'm trying to get AES/EBU from the M-Scaler.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #18,413 of 18,483
@Digital Enigma
Sarsasm is no problem imho, but flooding forum?

Flooding the sub forum with my last post?

My comment was to point out that audiosciencereview cannot measure equipment correctly. He is not aware of how to measure chord dacs jitter accurately.

I take a slightly different attitude to the great spectrum that runs between total objectivism (not achievable) and total subjectivism (also not achievable). If anything pops up that piques my interest I look into it. If it’s not for me, I ignore it.
There’s more music in the world than any of us could possibly hear in a lifetime, so I prefer to spend my time with that. Reading the occasional interesting thing, regardless of where it is on the spectrum, is can be fun, too.

Just trying to keep it a hobby…

For a lot of us it’s much more than a hobby.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #18,415 of 18,483
Chord dacs are 101% immune to jitter no doubt about it.
Highly resistant yes, immune no.
No sampled data converter could be truly immune to jitter in the absolute sense

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #18,416 of 18,483
Highly resistant yes, immune no.
No sampled data converter could be truly immune to jitter in the absolute sense
What matters is, that the error is small enough that you can no longer hear it.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #18,417 of 18,483
What matters is, that the error is small enough that you can no longer hear it.
The audible threshold for jitter is somewhat unclear, the main study from 1998 puts it vastly higher than basically any device on the market so if going by that then literally anything you can buy at any price range is fine.

Personally I feel that study has some holes in it though

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #18,418 of 18,483
The audible threshold for jitter is somewhat unclear, the main study from 1998 puts it vastly higher than basically any device on the market so if going by that then literally anything you can buy at any price range is fine.

What does jitter sound like?

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #18,419 of 18,483

Still, do you believe that you can hear the difference when the jitter is -140 or -150db?

Jitter really doesn't seem to be a problem with current dacs.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #18,420 of 18,483
Still, do you believe that you can hear the difference when the jitter is -140 or -150db?

Jitter really doesn't seem to be a problem with current dacs.
You can't directly convert the dB value shown on a J-Test in this manner. Higher frequency jitter of equal amplitude will show as lower in level on a J-Test and it's also not particularly intuitive to be able to sum/total up the jitter when there are many components.

The J-Test is a handy way to be able to view jitter components at the analog output of a DAC but should not be compared to harmonic distortion levels etc

I agree though, nowadays Jitter in DACs is generally very low, not at all disputing that. But my point is just that saying something is 'immune' when it's not is incorrect. Being resistant to jitter, or having a fairly low level of jitter are not the same as being immune.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back