Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #18,391 of 18,483
The measurements can look beautiful and fluffy, yet on 99% of these so called high-SINAD stuff the music sounds sterile and dead, like a clean hospital floor, FLAT. If you don't feel emotionally engaged with the music, then the whole thing is a complete waste of time. Rob's DACs get me emotionally engaged, and I've been around live music my whole life. I see these people making fun of the M scaler and insulting Rob, it's just sad, they have no idea. Oh well.
I got a TT2 a year ago and put off buying an M scaler thinking maybe someday but always questioning if it can really make that much of a difference and be worth the money. Finally decided to stop playing around and get one and see for myself. Just got the M Scaler a week ago. I was immediately surprised in what I heard. My set up went from sounding "extremely good" to having an "emotional connection". I've been rediscovering my favs since then and have ZERO interest in selling it. I didn't find the difference subtle. So much more bass texture, realism in vocals, total separation of all instruments without anything sounding fake or pushed. It's incredible to easily hear every aspect of a recording effortlessly.

I'm not a measurements guy. I just go by what I personally hear and to my ear the M Scaler is a total win if you have the chain to take advantage of it.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #18,392 of 18,483
I got a TT2 a year ago and put off buying an M scaler thinking maybe someday but always questioning if it can really make that much of a difference and be worth the money. Finally decided to stop playing around and get one and see for myself. Just got the M Scaler a week ago. I was immediately surprised in what I heard. My set up went from sounding "extremely good" to having an "emotional connection". I've been rediscovering my favs since then and have ZERO interest in selling it. I didn't find the difference subtle. So much more bass texture, realism in vocals, total separation of all instruments without anything sounding fake or pushed. It's incredible to easily hear every aspect of a recording effortlessly.

I'm not a measurements guy. I just go by what I personally hear and to my ear the M Scaler is a total win if you have the chain to take advantage of it.
You have a good ear and understand that music is supposed to be emotional! I'm glad to see you enjoy it, it's the same thing I get out of it. Keep enjoying it.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #18,393 of 18,483

That is exactly the reason why I am already trying to find ways to get the Nvidia Shield Tv to output the sound 2.5 seconds early. I know once I heard the Quartett I want it’s full potential. I can’t watch streaming anymore without the full 1 million taps. Or I will buy a lot more blue rays because the app „Kodi“ (also on the Shield) can send the audio basically when ever you want.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #18,394 of 18,483
The measurements can look beautiful and fluffy, yet on 99% of these so called high-SINAD stuff the music sounds sterile and dead, like a clean hospital floor, FLAT. If you don't feel emotionally engaged with the music, then the whole thing is a complete waste of time. Rob's DACs get me emotionally engaged, and I've been around live music my whole life. I see these people making fun of the M scaler and insulting Rob, it's just sad, they have no idea. Oh well.
Its part a jealousy thing, lack of understanding, not really appreciating what MScaler can bring to the music but above all in their opinion its just too expensive.

I see exactly the same thing with my choice of transport, an EV. I see all kinds of lies and mis-truths daily. They are jealous, have a lack of understanding and don't appreciate what electric can bring to driving but above all in their opinion its just too expensive.

Just enjoy the music/drive is what I do.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #18,395 of 18,483
Now if the doubtless clear quality differences we hear and share here could be put in measurements somehow, perhaps with another measure gear or test protocol or whatever... If it was demonstrable as black on white objectively, then even Amir & Co would be forced to accept it and make appologies for mocking it.

As long as that fails, Amir & Co have carte blanche to blaim all on subjectivity and psychological bias and mass hype.

There is though an indicator to use: statistics as a measurement. If we see a gear commonly respected in top section of tier lists for more than a decade, if we see that gear choosen by brands of headphones/speakers builders to represent their products on exibitions money-no-object, it must be damn GOOD. But then again statistics needs counting in numbers too and all we have is... we know it.

It's also difficult to dismiss the existing of mass hype as a phenomenon an-sich. When I see some religions I fear the worst in that regard. For better or worse. Though I don't think the hearing of my gear is subject of this phenomenon, we're defenceless against such accusations without backing up with numbers. Mass hype goes two ways, or many ways, look at this statt:
1000007788.jpg

406 votes. I ask myself where is the bar that say: "I own this gear and speak of solid experience"?

My biggest hunch is on the terrain of transients. I actually mean the timing differences between the ears due distant between the ears. I hope transients is the right word for that.

I'm convinced (somehow 😊) it plays a fundamental role in the differences between sounding flat and engaging. To me it seems the shelf dac chips are missing that ball a bit. One could have perfect produced sound waves with messed up transients, is my hunch.

So still wondering, if transients exist, how to measure that in particular?

Or can existing measuring protocols claim to cover transients influences completely? It's quite easy to claim "my measurements covers EVERYTHING THERE EXIST". Well then lets use the phrase... proof that!

To me this quantifying of transients, or lack of it, looks like a hiatus on both sides.

Please chime in if you think my reasoning sounds lacking important details, or is naive somehow... Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #18,396 of 18,483
Now if the doubtless clear quality differences we hear and share here could be put in measurements somehow, perhaps with another measure gear or test protocol or whatever... If it was demonstrable as black on white objectively, then even Amir & Co would be forced to accept it and make appologies for mocking it.

As long as that fails, Amir & Co have carte blanche to blaim all on subjectivity and psychological bias and mass hype.

There is though an indicator to use: statistics as a measurement. If we see a gear commonly respected in top section of tier lists for more than a decade, if we see that gear choosen by brands of headphones/speakers builders to represent their products on exibitions money-no-object, it must be damn GOOD. But then again statistics needs counting in numbers too and all we have is... we know it.

It's also difficult to dismiss the existing of mass hype as a phenomenon an-sich. When I see some religions I fear the worst in that regard. For better or worse. Though I don't think the hearing of my gear is subject of this phenomenon, we're defenceless against such accusations without backing up with numbers. Mass hype goes two ways, or many ways, look at this statt:

406 votes. I ask myself where is the bar that say: "I own this gear and speak of solid experience"?

My biggest hunch is on the terrain of transients. I actually mean the timing differences between the ears due distant between the ears. I hope transients is the right word for that.

I'm convinced (somehow 😊) it plays a fundamental role in the differences between sounding flat and engaging. To me it seems the shelf dac chips are missing that ball a bit. One could have perfect produced sound waves with messed up transients, is my hunch.

So still wondering, if transients exist, how to measure that in particular?

Or can existing measuring protocols claim to cover transients influences completely? It's quite easy to claim "my measurements covers EVERYTHING THERE EXIST". Well then lets use the phrase... proof that!

To me this quantifying of transients, or lack of it, looks like a hiatus on both sides.

Please chime in if you think my reasoning sounds lacking important details, or is naive somehow... Thanks.
What these religious nuts don't realize is that a bit ago a bunch of measurements didn't exist, just like now we can imagine that there are many things we don't know how to measure yet, to think we can measure it all is just hubris. Seeing the demographic of that site, I can tell you that out of all those votes perhaps 95-99% of those people have never even seen an M scaler, let alone heard one. So, in my book those votes are useless.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #18,402 of 18,483
Apart from a tongue in cheek remark I try to be level headed.
Audio cannot be the only sector where there is no opportunism to be found and the urge to debunk is very humanly attractive. Things going hyperbole is also a human treat.

Amir's collaboration with manufacturers is cool imho. Not all he does is wonky I guess.
I wish there was more competition to his work, kudos to goldensound.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #18,403 of 18,483
Apart from a tongue in cheek remark I try to be level headed.
Audio cannot be the only sector where there is no opportunism to be found and the urge to debunk is very humanly attractive. Things going hyperbole is also a human treat.

Amir's collaboration with manufacturers is cool imho. Not all he does is wonky I guess.
I wish there was more competition to his work, kudos to goldensound.
I definitely agree that cooperating with manufacturers is very cool, and that leads to better products. However, berating that manufacturers and designers that take the less traveled path is just pathetic, leading and allowing mobs to berate and insult is just not cool. I prefer GoldenSound's approach in every way, especially his transparency in showing his console settings, we all know those AP numbers can be cooked.

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #18,404 of 18,483
I take a slightly different attitude to the great spectrum that runs between total objectivism (not achievable) and total subjectivism (also not achievable). If anything pops up that piques my interest I look into it. If it’s not for me, I ignore it.
There’s more music in the world than any of us could possibly hear in a lifetime, so I prefer to spend my time with that. Reading the occasional interesting thing, regardless of where it is on the spectrum, is can be fun, too.

Just trying to keep it a hobby…

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #18,405 of 18,483
I take a slightly different attitude to the great spectrum that runs between total objectivism (not achievable) and total subjectivism (also not achievable). If anything pops up that piques my interest I look into it. If it’s not for me, I ignore it.
There’s more music in the world than any of us could possibly hear in a lifetime, so I prefer to spend my time with that. Reading the occasional interesting thing, regardless of where it is on the spectrum, is can be fun, too.

Just trying to keep it a hobby…
Good attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back