HR Balanced Desktop: Home DAC or Apogee Duet?
May 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Thinking about the HR Desktop Balanced but already have the Duet -- wondering whether the Duet-as-DAC would be totally outclassed by the balanced Home DAC module option for the HDB? Any thoughts?

thanks and best,

o

May 29, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the headroom, I'd get the max dac if you can...

Thanks for the reply and suggestion -- I don't think the Max Dac is an option in the HR balanced desktop anymore -- gets too hot apparently. It does seem to be optional in the SE Desktop but I figured I'd give this balanced malarky a go, if only so I can stop buying and selling and re-buying these damn HD650s.

best,

o

May 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 35
I thought the Apogee Duet didn't have balanced output?

May 29, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It doesn't. But here's some information from HeadRoom regarding the amp in question:

The amp will accept analog-balanced XLR and analog-unbalanced RCA connections. The optional DAC upgrade installation will provide digital optical, digital coaxial, and USB connections. Any of the inputs are automatically up-converted to a balanced signal ready for your XLR headphones, a major audio design advancement exclusive to the HeadRoom Balanced Desktop unit.

May 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 35
This is purely a guess, based on the reputations of the two companies, but I seriously doubt that HeadRoom makes a DAC that would represent a major upgrade of an Apogee product. Not to slight HR, they make great stuff, but digital audio processing for professional studios is the heart of Apogee's business and they are very good at it. They are also one of those companies that trickles down their technology very quickly, and the word on the street when the Duet began to hit pros hands was that, while it didn't have all the functionality of the higher-end Apogee models, it had the sound.

With that said, the sound will be transparent and revealing. HeadRoom's DAC may be a bit warmer and more forgiving. But personally, I think forgiveness is for amps, cans and priests, not sources. YMMV.

Tim

May 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Yah, guesses aren't that useful.

Headroom makes some darn nice dacs.

They aren't, but sometime educated guesses are all we have, unless we're willing to buy and try a whole lot of equipment and throw back the little ones...

Tim

May 29, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 35
It's one thing to guess for yourself, and another to recommend against a good product because you guess it'll sound worse...

May 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As I understand it, source to amp doesn't have to be balanced, the benefits of a balanced set-up being the separated common ground that headphones use by default.

May 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

It's one thing to guess for yourself, and another to recommend against a good product because you guess it'll sound worse...

I think I made it pretty clear that my comments were discussion of the objectives and reputations of the two companies, not a recommendation. If the OP didn't get that, let me clarify - once again, I haven't heard them, but given who Apogee is and what they do for a living, I can't personally imagine Headroom's DACs are objectively superior.

And that's just an observation based on knowledge of the companies, not a recommendation based on personal experience.

Good?

Tim

May 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I understand it, source to amp doesn't have to be balanced, the benefits of a balanced set-up being the separated common ground that headphones use by default.

That's very helpful, thanks. I think I might fire off an email to Headroom in order to get a better sense of the trade-offs. The Duet's flawless integration with my Macs is a major plus, and I love the precision and the soundstage that it provides, but the one-box HR solution is also attractive. Anyway, thanks all for the replies and best,

o

May 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 35
You actually do need a balanced source to get all the benefits of a balanced amp. I use the duet with balancing transformers on my m3, and it sounds great, but doesn't have the power that a differential source has. That was my biggest qualm about selling the minidac. I do like the duet an awful lot, it's a great source. I haven't spent much time with the home dac, but I'd be hard pressed to not get it and try it, given headroom's return policy and how good their dacs are.

May 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

You actually do need a balanced source to get all the benefits of a balanced amp. I use the duet with balancing transformers on my m3, and it sounds great, but doesn't have the power that a differential source has. That was my biggest qualm about selling the minidac. I do like the duet an awful lot, it's a great source. I haven't spent much time with the home dac, but I'd be hard pressed to not get it and try it, given headroom's return policy and how good their dacs are.

You don't need a balanced source to get all the benefits of a balanced amp.
The unbalanced signal is balanced in the amp. One is not better or worse than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back