HP DV6000 digital output
Feb 22, 2008 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an HP dv6000 15" laptop with three mini jacks on the front. One is a microphone input, and the other 2 are headphone jacks, with one labeled SPDIF. My question is: How do I get the digital info from that jack to my DAC? I have a DAC with Coax and Optical, and I can use either input for this.

Also, I use foobar and Itunes to play my music, and I cannot figure out how to get them output the info bit-perfect (I am using ALAC files). I have tried to configure ASIO, and failed...pretty hard
redface.gif

What do I do?

Edit: One other thought: any way to get a USB to SPDIf converter that will work?

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 17
I used to have an HP8000, basically same thing but with a 17" screen. I can't remember is your SPDIF Coax or Optical? I think it's optical and you can get an adapter for a $1.95 from amazon

Amazon.com: TOSLINK TO OPTICAL MINI ADAPTER: Electronics

with the adapter you can use a standard optical cable.

Once you have the cable in place, you go to the control panel, sounds and you should see the Digital Out, select it as your prefered device.

I use Asio and I have a SPDIF coax on my Dell notebook and it's a no brainer to get working. I am listening to it now.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 17
I don't think it is optical, because the HP dock I have has a Coax output. I have had it work with the coax out for about 3 minutes, and then it cuts out.

Also, I had ASIO working in foobar, but I would only let me create a new device for either the left or right channel.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 17
I just took a look on HP's website, and it uses mini-toslink.That solves my output problem.

The laptop has this weird conexant HD audio application that handles all of the digital and analog output. I am going to mess with it and see what I can do.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 17
I thought it was optical. You will need that adapter. You can also buy a cable that has the mini optical on one end and a standard TOS on the other.

I am familiar with the conexant app. It's an interface to the HD audio built in to Vista. If I remember right, there is an option that you need to set to tell the HD driver to output to Digital not Analog.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 17
I think that with HD audio vista drivers, there's a convenient check box in sound options, that you just check to tell it to output in digital.

I had to install/uninstall various HD audio drivers to get the optical out to work on my laptop. HP dv6000, customized from costco running on Win XP (not vista). Though at the time I know I made several mistakes, so I'm not sure if changing the drivers actually did the job. I think I remember my audio settings not having that check box, until I downloaded some drivers. However I can't be sure of this.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 17
I got the same laptop and I noticed this past week a upgrade from windows made my audio not even work anymore. I had to un install to make it work again. Then a few days later HP sent a update and it works.

What cable did you use for your dac?

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 17
I have HP DV2000 with SPDIF Mini Toslink digital out. Im using Foobar with Kernel Streaming for bit perfect playback through ASIO.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 17
The fact that in using the kernel streaming, I believe its bit perfect as per Enoyin thread.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the same laptop and I noticed this past week a upgrade from windows made my audio not even work anymore. I had to un install to make it work again. Then a few days later HP sent a update and it works.

What cable did you use for your dac?

Yeh, they've got some interesting updates for sure. Sometimes the 24/7 support is quite useful, other times they flat out have the wrong info.

I've just been using a generic TOSlink cable (fiber, not glass) from monoprice. Been thinking 'bout picking up a short ( < 1' ) glass optical cable.

I did however choose to use the m-audio transit to send my audio to my DAC (for foobar / whatever media player I want to use), while leaving the Conexant as default for the rest of windows/other applications. Nice way to avoid having a click/pause in the music just because I open/minimize/bring up a window.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that in using the kernel streaming, I believe its bit perfect as per Enoyin thread.

I have a dv6000 series laptop and I also use the kernel streaming, problem is, the soundcard of the laptop resamples everything to 48Khz no matter what, it is done on the hardware level.
My receiver which is connected to the laptop with a toslink, shows the sample rate of any track, and it's always 48Khz.

In order to make sure you can try to play a 44Khz dts sample (from Free 5.1 Surround Sound DTS and AC-3 Downloads) and see if it's playing ok or not.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a dv6000 series laptop and I also use the kernel streaming, problem is, the soundcard of the laptop resamples everything to 48Khz no matter what, it is done on the hardware level.
My receiver which is connected to the laptop with a toslink, shows the sample rate of any track, and it's always 48Khz.

In order to make sure you can try to play a 44Khz dts sample (from Free 5.1 Surround Sound DTS and AC-3 Downloads) and see if it's playing ok or not.

I use DA100 dacs with 192khz up samples, it sounds clean to me and never have any issue.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Not saying it doesn't sound good.
It's just that AFAIK that the laptop sound card resamples everything to 48Khz
and if your laptop is connected to the DAC with an optical cable
then the signal that comes out of the laptop is already resampled and not bit perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back