How's the iBasso D10 as an amp?
Jul 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Mediahound

Headphoneus Supremus
How's the iBasso D10 as a headphone amp? I'm asking because I would only occasionally use the DAC portion of it since I will be getting a desktop DAC.

Would I be better off going with an amp only device? If so, any suggestions?

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 35
it is nice, but drives lower impedance cans better. it can drive the HD650 to decent levels, but i find that it does a whole lot better with Grado's and K701. the dac is excellent however and i would recommend saving your money on another dac and buying a dedicated amp instead.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 35
Thanks. I have Denon AH-D5000 cans so it seems like the iBasso may drive those quite well? (25 Ohms).

Do you mean I should get a dedicated amp to use with the iBasso? Why do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is nice, but drives lower impedance cans better. it can drive the HD650 to decent levels, but i find that it does a whole lot better with Grado's and K701. the dac is excellent however and i would recommend saving your money on another dac and buying a dedicated amp instead.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 35
in case you had higher impedance cans. in your case, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem and it looks like your pretty much set with just the D10.

if you are gonna buy a desktop dac, however, i'll say to skip on the D10 and just buy a desktop amp as well. but, you'll probably save more money with just the D10.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 35
Thanks.

Problem is, I want something portable too. Heck, I may buy the D10 and a desktop DAC both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in case you had higher impedance cans. in your case, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem and it looks like your pretty much set with just the D10.

if you are gonna buy a desktop dac, however, i'll say to skip on the D10 and just buy a desktop amp as well. but, you'll probably save more money with just the D10.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 35
phototristan
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have a connection to the SF Bay Area, judging from your avatar. If so, you may want to check out the local Head-fi meet next week in Burlingame. You can get a chance to listen to other setups then. Unfortunately, I will be out of town.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 35
Yep, I'm in the Bay Area however I will also be out of town unfortunately.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
phototristan
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have a connection to the SF Bay Area, judging from your avatar. If so, you may want to check out the local Head-fi meet next week in Burlingame. You can get a chance to listen to other setups then. Unfortunately, I will be out of town.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 35
If you dont really see a real need for a DAC, get the P3+ instead

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 35
I may do that eventually when I get the money. Currently, I'm planning on using the D10 optical in from the desktop DAC when I use headphones at my desk. I hope this works out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a desktop amp to go w/ your desktop dac

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 35
I'm planning on using my D10 with some modded D2000s I just bought from a fellow head-fier. I've been using it with my Shure 530s and my Sennheiser 238s. I thought about getting a desktop DAC, but I realized the D10 is all I need (for now!)

It'll be perfectly fine as an amp for your Denons as well.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 35
Sounds like the D10 has great synergy with the Denons. I can't wait to receive mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on using my D10 with some modded D2000s I just bought from a fellow head-fier. I've been using it with my Shure 530s and my Sennheiser 238s. I thought about getting a desktop DAC, but I realized the D10 is all I need (for now!)

It'll be perfectly fine as an amp for your Denons as well.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT question, didn't wanna start a new thread for it, but can anybody tell me how long it took them to receive their D10 from ibasso?

when i got my shipping notice, which was about 2-3 days after order, it arrived the next day via DHL.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back