how to shop for a recliner?
Jun 22, 2003 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
As usual, I'm an obsessive prosumer and need some help picking something out: this time a recliner.

I figure a recliner is the piece of audio equipment everyone should have but not everyone does have. This will be going in my living room which is where my home theater system is but will also be used for headphone listening.

So here's what I need... I'm nearly 6' tall and I have the build of a setitary hobbyist, so this can't be a poorly made chair. I'm looking for a steel frame, good mechanics and cloth exterior. I'm not interested in name brands and I need to keep cost down.

Anyone want to give me suggestions for how to shop? I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
As usual, I'm an obsessive prosumer and need some help picking something out: this time a recliner.

I figure a recliner is the piece of audio equipment everyone should have but not everyone does have. This will be going in my living room which is where my home theater system is but will also be used for headphone listening.

So here's what I need... I'm nearly 6' tall and I have the build of a setitary hobbyist, so this can't be a poorly made chair. I'm looking for a steel frame, good mechanics and cloth exterior. I'm not interested in name brands and I need to keep cost down.

Anyone want to give me suggestions for how to shop? I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Hi Kelly-

Check the "Tweaks" section of my profile
3000smile.gif

Six feet and big boy here...I spent several months with a friend shopping for recliners last year. I tried many and finally bought a Berkline Whisper Massage Recliner from Macys. It was a $700 chair on sale for $399 (they are usually running some sale).

I bought the rocking version because I love rocking chairs...especially when listening to music. It also has a massage and heat feature that I rarely use.
I love it...its the most comfy chair I have ever sat in. The fabric velour seems right no matter what temp the room is. When I recline its about 10 minutes before Im out like a light.

If you have Macy's in the Dallas area...go check out their recliner section. It will be hard to leave. They also offer a great extended warrentry that is worth getting. It even covers fabric staining.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is my sweet spot......

lr4.jpg

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 53
One type of chair that I'd like to mention for you to consider is called zero gravity chair (marketed as Perfect Chair). I found it perfect for headphone listening, and I use it exclusive for this purpose. Because of the angle of the head even on it "upright" position, I don't think it'd work very well for use in home theater though.

I think they can be found in "relax the back" stores, but it's sold for less online.

Good luck.

Cheers,
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Hi Kelly-

Check the "Tweaks" section of my profile
3000smile.gif

Six feet and big boy here...I spent several months with a friend shopping for recliners last year. I tried many and finally bought a Berkline Whisper Massage Recliner from Macys. It was a $700 chair on sale for $399 (they are usually running some sale).

I bought the rocking version because I love rocking chairs...especially when listening to music. It also has a massage and heat feature that I rarely use.
I love it...its the most comfy chair I have ever sat in. The fabric velour seems right no matter what temp the room is. When I recline its about 10 minutes before Im out like a light.

If you have Macy's in the Dallas area...go check out their recliner section. It will be hard to leave. They also offer a great extended warrentry that is worth getting. It even covers fabric staining.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is my sweet spot......

lr4.jpg

Looks good. I'd probably opt for a non-rocking model. What's the frame made out of though?

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Looks good. I'd probably opt for a non-rocking model. What's the frame made out of though?

Metal chassis with wood framing.

When you look at them in the store...you can usually lift up the fabric flap in back and see what they are structured like...also, while out of the chair..put it in the recline position and look under the foot rest...you will see the guts it has.

John

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 53
This is the one on my wish list - the Le Corbusier Leather Chaise:

9950.jpg

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 53
I had a tough time finding a good recliner because I wanted something firm -- like the driver's seat of a good sports car. Most recliners I saw had thick padding but offered little in the way of support.

I eventually decided the Backsaver Oasis was the perfect chair:
http://www.backsavercorp.com/recline...r_6410_05.html

But it sat on my shopping list for a long time because $1300 was more than I could bare to spend on a chair. I eventually found one on sale here: http://www.officeorganix.com/Backsaverrecline1.htm

It looks like they go for as little as $600 these days.

If you want to try one out, you might be able to find these at Relax The Back stores.

Jun 22, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 53
i just knew it was you, Kelly.
biggrin.gif
(no, i didn't look at the threat author).

which one?

whichever one you fall asleep the fastest.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 53
That zero gravity thing looks a little too modern for me.

I stopped by La-Z-Boy on the way home today. It looks like $520+tax from them for the model I'd want: the Embassy with the Fairfax (phaux suede) cover. Another $80 for lifetime warranty on the cover, I think. I'm sure there's *some* room for negotiation there.

Still open to suggestions.

Jun 23, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 53
wallijohn, I think that's a bit to contemporary for kelly, heh.
-Mag

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 53
Mag,

"the first home theater seating specifically designed for consumers who want the ultimate home theater sensory experience".

"The ultra-rigid hardwood frame made from Beech, specially-treated composite wood side panels, heavy-duty adhesives, dowels, and fasteners are all used to tightly secure all elements to easily handle the transmission of tactile sound without structurally effecting the chair."

'nuff said.

read the original thread again:

"home theater system": looks like it's made for a theatre.

"can't be a poorly made chair... looking for a steel frame, good mechanics and cloth exterior." check. check. check.

the vibrator on the bottom is turned on to give viceral bass feel.
biggrin.gif
it connects to the stereo system.
biggrin.gif
I would just build a chair on top of a 15" subwoofer box.
biggrin.gif

IT COMES WITH A BEER HOLDER! what more can a man want?
biggrin.gif

Kelly,

put one of these babies in your chair: http://www.electroshops.com/consumers/tactrans.htm

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
wallijohn, I think that's a bit to contemporary for kelly, heh.
-Mag

yeah, kelly needs a place where he can kick up his spurs and hang his ten gallon hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back