How To Get Over My Slightly Additive IEM Hobby?
Apr 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
I am 15 and starting to become to much of an audio freak, so as my friends say. I am spending too much and have too much audio equipment. I currently have the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SB & FI-BA-A1, the Meelectronics CC51P, the NuForce 700X, the Apple IEM's (which I hate), the Munitio Teknines, the Radius HP-TWF21, Ortofon e-Q5, and will hopefully be dropping $$$ on the Monster Miles Davis IEM's and a pair of custom molded Spiral Ear SE 4's, which would be a dumb decision, since I am so close to getting my first car. Any tips on how to stop buying audio equipment (I also have an AlgoRythm Solo & ALO Rx Mk2 Amp coming on the way) and enjoy the stuff I have on hand? I know it's not exactly a bad thing to be an IEM freak, but I don't want to become too addicted. :xf_eek:

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 61
Just buy the IEM which you think is the 'top'. Listen to it and realize that the improvements from there on will be very very minimal for the high price you pay. Your brain will eventually tell you to stop buying IEMs and move on to something greater (Headphones? Speakers?)

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 61
Just buy the IEM which you think is the 'top'. Listen to it and realize that the improvements from there on will be very very minimal for the high price you pay. Your brain will eventually tell you to stop buying IEMs and move on to something greater (Headphones? Speakers?)

I have thought about that, But even after I do that, my brain will keep telling me to try new things, as we do in daily life. :)

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 61
Just have fun with it, when you start buying headphones instead of eating, or sneaking the whole thing from your folks, if that happens talk to them about it-its a whole personality thing not just a IEM buying thing. Have fun!!!

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 61
Delete headfi from your personal browser, sell off all but a couple of what you consider your best iems (one for daily use, one for back up)and start visiting more music sites :p

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 61

Quote:
Quote:

I have thought about that, But even after I do that, my brain will keep telling me to try new things, as we do in daily life.
smily_headphones1.gif

You said it right there. Try new things. Try new and different things. Its possible--and better-- to have more than one hobby. The great thing with an audio hobby is that it can be merged with other hobbies. A lot of independent hobbies are sitting down (building stuff, drawing, other stuff I don't know about, etc.). 
For me it seems like a I'm into audio gear because it cures boredom. The researching also gives me this obsessive high and the actual buying/receiving of gear enforces my potential shopping addiction craving. This is bad. 

So yeah just find more hobbies :)

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 61
A prefrontal lobotomy may be your only hope.  It worked for me. Don't try this at home, like I did. It's not a DIY procedure. 

You can get one on the Internet from China at really reasonable rates but you will need to pay your way to China.  Ask for the Head-Fi discount using coupon code: SAVEME.  That, or just stop buying things you don't really need.  Your choice.   As someone else suggested, it's rarely JUST an IEM thing, but probably is something that you'll have to contend with in other walks of life as well.  If you really think it's becoming a problem, especially if it might be hurting yourself or others in some way (such as getting into debt, or really distracting you from actually living your life and connecting with others), then by all means talk to folks you respect about it (hopefully your parents are among that group), and good for you for the introspection and for reaching out in that case.  I can't really get a take on whether you are genuinely concerned or are just looking for general support/agreement in one way or another.   

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 61
If you have an irrational need to buy things, or feel restless and obsess over an IEM, reading countless reviews and comparing prices online for days until you buy the item, you may have OCD or an anxiety disorder. In that case, you would notice this kind of behavior in areas other than just headphones. For example, you collect other items or maybe memorize useless trivia on some obscure topic, or spend countless hours playing MMORPGs to reach the next level or earn achievements. If your parent's have decent health care coverage (which I'm assuming is the case, considering your ability to fund your IEM purchases) than you can find yourself a psychologist to work through some of these issues. You might want to find one anyway -- Being 15 kind of sucks, and it's a lot easier to cope with adolescence if you have someone to talk to.

Look, I think at 15 you might want to try finding a new hobby that doesn't revolve around spending money. Most males your age are worried more about getting a girlfriend and doing well at school so they can be accepted into a good university. You'll have plenty of chances to buy audio equipment later on in life, but you'll only get to do high school once. Join some clubs and sports and get your grades up, because college admission becomes more competitive every year.

Do you really need more than a few pairs of IEMs? You only have 2 ears. Where you any less happy before you discovered head-fi? Have good IEMs really improved your quality of life?

You might want to leave this hobby for later on in life when you'll need the relaxing audio from a HiFi setup to cope with the soul-crushing realities of the real world.

Quote:
I am 15 and starting to become to much of an audio freak, so as my friends say. I am spending too much and have too much audio equipment. I currently have the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SB & FI-BA-A1, the Meelectronics CC51P, the NuForce 700X, the Apple IEM's (which I hate), the Munitio Teknines, the Radius HP-TWF21, Ortofon e-Q5, and will hopefully be dropping $$$ on the Monster Miles Davis IEM's and a pair of custom molded Spiral Ear SE 4's, which would be a dumb decision, since I am so close to getting my first car. Any tips on how to stop buying audio equipment (I also have an AlgoRythm Solo & ALO Rx Mk2 Amp coming on the way) and enjoy the stuff I have on hand? I know it's not exactly a bad thing to be an IEM freak, but I don't want to become too addicted.
redface.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 61

Quote:
If you have an irrational need to buy things, or feel restless and obsess over an IEM, reading countless reviews and comparing prices online for days until you buy the item, you may have OCD or an anxiety disorder. In that case, you would notice this kind of behavior in areas other than just headphones. For example, you collect other items or maybe memorize useless trivia on some obscure topic, or spend countless hours playing MMORPGs to reach the next level or earn achievements. If your parent's have decent health care coverage (which I'm assuming is the case, considering your ability to fund your IEM purchases) than you can find yourself a psychologist to work through some of these issues. You might want to find one anyway -- Being 15 kind of sucks, and it's a lot easier to cope with adolescence if you have someone to talk to.

Look, I think at 15 you might want to try finding a new hobby that doesn't revolve around spending money. Most males your age are worried more about getting a girlfriend and doing well at school so they can be accepted into a good university. You'll have plenty of chances to buy audio equipment later on in life, but you'll only get to do high school once. Join some clubs and sports and get your grades up, because college admission becomes more competitive every year.

Do you really need more than a few pairs of IEMs? You only have 2 ears. Where you any less happy before you discovered head-fi? Have good IEMs really improved your quality of life?

You might want to leave this hobby for later on in life when you'll need the relaxing audio from a HiFi setup to cope with the soul-crushing realities of the real world.

Though I agree with much of what you said, jumping the gun and saying he might have OCD or anxiety disorder is, I think, a little scary for a 15 year old.

But yeah therapy with a psychologist/counselor is a great thing to do at any age and with any problem. 

I don't think this is as serious as it sounds. You can still have the audio hobby--though it would probably benefit you more later in life as lazuline stated--but teach yourself self-control and balance it out. Too much of anything is bad; even music.

Oh and lazuline I've got some theories on MMORPGs as well if you'd like to discuss.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 61
And with any hobby that involves money, they are the most rewarding but also the most deleterious.
Try very hard not to get addicted and obsessed or, like any other shopping addiction, you will always want to get the better and more expensive gear. And with technology today, there will always be that next 'upgrade' right around the corner.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 61
The joke answer: buy some good big headphones, add a decent amp. HD600 + mstage or audio gd or whatever. Then IEMs will feel so ... limited
wink_face.gif

Serious answer: mate, you're 15. If you can't control yourself now, then what will happen down the line? Generally, whenever I feel the way you do though (OCD-ish), then it's associated with periods of high stress. But as said above, perspective is key - there's things you can only do at 15. Audio equipment, just go to a meet and meet the members - there's plenty of town. People say cherish your youth, and now that I'm moving into my mid-20s, I'd agree.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 61

Quote:
I am 15 and starting to become to much of an audio freak, so as my friends say. I am spending too much and have too much audio equipment. I currently have the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SB & FI-BA-A1, the Meelectronics CC51P, the NuForce 700X, the Apple IEM's (which I hate), the Munitio Teknines, the Radius HP-TWF21, Ortofon e-Q5, and will hopefully be dropping $$$ on the Monster Miles Davis IEM's and a pair of custom molded Spiral Ear SE 4's, which would be a dumb decision, since I am so close to getting my first car. Any tips on how to stop buying audio equipment (I also have an AlgoRythm Solo & ALO Rx Mk2 Amp coming on the way) and enjoy the stuff I have on hand? I know it's not exactly a bad thing to be an IEM freak, but I don't want to become too addicted.
redface.gif

1. girls (or coming out of the closet). Spend as much time as possible with them.

2. spend some time doing community service, at a soup kitchen for the homeless, etc. Perspective on one's priviledged upbringing is a great thing.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 61

Well, I get a lot of earphones as samples for review on my website. However, I do purchase a lot of my high end stuff. I'm not so addicted that it hurts my other things that go on in my life. I have a lot of friends and excel at school. I just made this thread to see what other people do when they are not around IEM's to give me an idea of some other activities I can do. Listening to music and audio is an escape for me and I find it very fun. And yes, visiting Head-Fi and listnining to IEM's really improved my quality of life. I found out about quality audio and new ways to listen to it. I guess it could be called more of a hobby then an addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back