How to "enjoy" music?
Sep 23, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #107 of 365
I didn't exactly read the whole thread so maybe this has been said before but may I suggest something different

Why don't you take a breather from both gear AND listening to music.

Try out a different hobby, possibly one that involve outdoors like photography, drawing, reading, dancing etc.

Learn to enjoy doing something for what it is. When I'm in a outdoors, be it urban or nature doing projects (i'm learning advertisement so photography and inspiration is important), i take my time to look at every leaf, beetle,stones, for some reason I find it relaxing especially under a nice light and weather. I occasionally take a break and sometimes don't listen to music for a week, usually when the novel is that good or I'm doing some individual project in the outdoors.

Then come back to music. You might feel different about it. At least I do.

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #108 of 365
Are you an accountant? Or engineer?

.... [size=xx-small]just kidding[/size]

Did that make you laugh? Or even smile? When was the last time you've done that? How about cry? Be angry? Be worried?

Laughed at a movie?

Cried at a play?

Fell in love? Felt admiration?

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #109 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Try out a different hobby, possibly one that involve outdoors like photography, drawing, reading, dancing etc.

I photograph my audio tweaks and read this forum, good enough?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Why don't you take a breather from both gear AND listening to music.

I took a 5 day break from music and nothing happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Are you an accountant? Or engineer?

.... [size=xx-small]just kidding[/size]

Did that make you laugh? Or even smile?

No.

Quote:

When was the last time you've done that?

http://www.seemygrill.com/view-gold-grills.html

Hehe.

Quote:

How about cry?

Once I tried to control it but my eyes got too blurry so I didn't like it.

Quote:

Be angry?

I do it like in Anger Management movie. I build it up until it explodes.

Quote:

Be worried?

I am worried of the above, you know, machinegun style. But I won't do it because not enough bullets and my ears are too sensitive to the noise... Sometimes I play some shooter games on computer against beginner bots, unlimited ammo you know. I have video.

Quote:

Laughed at a movie?

I laugh at opening credits of "7th heaven" series (dumb people), and throughout the whole episode. I don't laugh at other movies.

Quote:

Cried at a play?

When I was 6 years old I squeezed thumb in metal door and eyes got wet, I think.

Quote:

Fell in love? Felt admiration?

Nordost Valhalla power cable. I don't do humans. Once I touched a girl though, but gym school teacher told me to. Now when I think about it, I touched 2 girls because we had to switch dance partners.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #110 of 365
I can listen to most music and say "well that sounded good.. but so what?"

Real music that means a lot to me are the tracks that immediately make me say "Oh ****! That was pretty kickass. I would have never thought the song would sound like that!"

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #111 of 365
blink.gif

Please tell me you're kidding, otherwise this is the saddest thing I've ever heard. Enjoying music isn't something you have to learn, either you do or you don't. But if all you've listened to are CDs, it's time to go, no RUN, to some live concerts. Symphony, Opera, Rock, Pop, Trance, Jazz, a school's marching band, hell there must be something...

BTW Vulcans have emotions, they've just learned to control them.

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #113 of 365
Quote:

Did that make you laugh? Or even smile? When was the last time you've done that? How about cry? Be angry? Be worried?

I'd say having you all on by playing on your morbid curiousity has been quite enjoyable for Patrick who is working quite hard at keeping it going. He loves the attention and many enjoy being weirded out by what he portrays.

BTW, "placebo" is a latin verb meaning: I will please you.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #115 of 365
To enjoy music, you really gotta find stuff you love. It's a process that could be long or short depending.
The next step is to play it, and close your eyes.

BAM, I'm lost in the music already. In fact, in a few mintues I'll be listening to the lovely sounds of Rose Melberg.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nothing beats the goodness of listening to your favorite music on your much adored setup. It feels like home. It also brings out wonderful emotions and allows me to think about things, or just listen to the emotions of the music itself.

It's a shame you haven't had this feeling, because it's just wonderful. Perhaps you're thinking too hard about it...

~Tom

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #116 of 365
play an instrument. It will teach you how to listen and what to listen for. It also teaches you to appreciate different styles.

I didn't really appreciate a lot of country, bluegrass and folk tunes till' I started playing guitar. A lot of people hear a note, and thats all they hear. The note attack, decay resonance, the resonance of the instrument or amplified cabinet, the reverberation of the venue or studio... these are nuances surrounding notes and chords, that are not readily apparent to many. Of course Grado woodies help a lot
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
. I hear SRV or carlos Santana pluck one string and sustain that note... it makes my knees buckle and the hair on my neck stand, the attack of the note, the sustain and resonance... the FEEL and SOUL of the note.

Every time I hear Clapton unplugged on my RS1 I hear new things in that recording.

After that..I'm like this...
rockingout.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #117 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
it makes my knees buckle and the hair on my neck stand, the attack of the note, the sustain and resonance... the FEEL and SOUL of the note.

I think I found problem, I don't have enough hair on my neck for it to rise, how much should it be back there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Every time I hear Clapton unplugged on my RS1 I hear new things in that recording.

After that..I'm like this...
rockingout.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Banging head gives loss of detail and makes me dizzy. I don't know what it's supposed to improve.
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull
Nothing beats the goodness of listening to your favorite music on your much adored setup. It feels like home.

When I replace Valhalla power cord with other cable and put back Valhalla again it feels like home. But it's not the music I enjoy, it's the cable.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #118 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I think I found problem, I don't have enough hair on my neck for it to rise, how much should it be back there?

Banging head gives loss of detail and makes me dizzy. I don't know what it's supposed to improve.
confused.gif

Ok now I know you're just playing with us. C'mon, Kramer was giving you an honest helpful response - it's not easy to try to describe a color to the color-blind, at least work with us here
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #119 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I like to watch a cat taking a dump in the sandbox where children play with shovels, and then see them find the "chocolate pudding"...

I don't enjoy food, it just makes me feel sick.

haha oh wow
This is, perhaps, the greatest thread I've ever seen on Head-Fi in all my day of lurking..

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #120 of 365
Dude, lurking is the way to go, at least at the beginning.

Back on topic, it seems that either Patrick is one of the least emotional people that I've ever heard of and is completely hopeless as far as enjoying pretty much anything in life, or he's just pulling our collective leg. I'm tending to believe the latter, but hey, I might be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back