How to "enjoy" music?
Oct 4, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #136 of 365
I don't believe it either. Either that, or you're one seriously messed up dude!
580smile.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #137 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy
Ooh, the Youth Orchestra I'm playing in is doing Mars for the October Concert. I got the Yoel Levi/Atlanta Sym.Orch. Telarc recording of The Planets, and I know what you mean about Jupiter, I really enjoy it!

Hah--the violins have the most boring part known to man for the first 50 measures or so in Mars...but remember to count!

What Youth Orchestra are you in? The Louisville Youth Orchestra and the Cincinnati Youth Orchestra were supposed to have a joint concert two (?) years ago, but bad weather prevented the CYO from coming down. No chance you're in the CYO, is there?

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #138 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Try finding some music that you love just because it's music. Decide that your rig is "done" and stop tweaking, and begin to listen to music for music's sake.

It's working! I feel I can control it, like with remembering my dreams. I just need to decide to open it up and then it will happen automatically over time. But I don't think I want to enjoy music in the first place, so that's why it doesn't happen. I wanted to know the truth about cables first, so I have set myself into an analytical mode. I can feel I can take myself out of that mode whenever I want to! But I'm afraid my analytical listening performance will get worse. In every sport you need to be neutral for best performance.

Whenever I set certain goals I always reached them, eventually. You are what you want to be!
When I have decided on something it's like it has already happened. When I receive my tweak in the mail I don't feel any emotions because it feels like I already had the tweak in my system at the time I planned to buy it.

Oct 4, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #139 of 365
Quote:

In every sport you need to be neutral for best performance.

1. How would you know?
2. Neutral? You need the desire to win!
3. Nothing about music should be a sport. See a therapist immediately. You don't represent any aspect of human passion or creativity.

Oct 4, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #140 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
1. How would you know?
2. Neutral? You need the desire to win!
3. Nothing about music should be a sport. See a therapist immediately. You don't represent any aspect of human passion or creativity.

The ones who focus on the sport without caring about winning are better than those who want to win at all costs.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #142 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
The ones who focus on the sport without caring about winning are better than those who want to win at all costs.

I agree in a weird way. I find that when I'm asserting myself in an activity, the clearer my mind is( =the less emotions clouding my view), the better my mind is able to process the challenge and come up with solutions. It's like emotions are physical, and the mind is robotic. If I'm emotional, I'm more likely to fall off track than if I remain neutral and focused.

Patrick, I have the same incredible problem that you have. In fact, it extends to everything I experience in life(with a few exceptions). With my case, my problem is caused by not having a clear mind. Grr this is gonna be hard to explain
plainface.gif

Bleh, I'll think this over and see if I can find a way to explain it...But take my word for it, to enjoy music, you gotta find music that "fits" your nature or personality(right word?:/), and you gotta relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. When your mind is relaxed, or like I said above, neutral, it will be most able to process the music, and see the wonderful qualities of the sounds in music. This is how you get goosebumps, imo.

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #143 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX
Hah--the violins have the most boring part known to man for the first 50 measures or so in Mars...but remember to count!

What Youth Orchestra are you in? The Louisville Youth Orchestra and the Cincinnati Youth Orchestra were supposed to have a joint concert two (?) years ago, but bad weather prevented the CYO from coming down. No chance you're in the CYO, is there?

Yeah, it is pretty monotonous, but the col legno clicking is kinda cool. I'm 4th chair 1st violin in the Northern Ohio Youth Orchestra (noyo.org) based in Oberlin, Ohio. Nothing so prestigious as CYO or LYO. I'd like to try out for Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra (COYO) next year, but it's a lot harder to get into.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #144 of 365
Quote:

I take it you dont play sports too often. Ever hear the saying about how the team who wants it most is the team that takes home the gold? If you dont care about winning, then chances are you dont care about practicing and then you arent going to be better then those who want to win at all costs, because they are willing to work for it.
How the hell did this come up anyway? Sorry for adding to the OT.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #145 of 365
Quote:

Completely, utterly, 100% false. Ever heard of something called wrestling? The only way to be successful is to push your body to its natural limits and beyond. If youre neutral, you will be able to do well, but never truly excel. You have to have a goal, a passion for winning to be able to truly be the best.
Another example: Did you see the Italian team standing around going "ho, hum, doesnt matter if we win or we lose."? No, you saw them struggling, fighting to win, and guess what? They beat the teams who didnt care enough, didnt work hard enough, didnt put in the effort, and (while i hate to be cliche), were the ones who didnt go the extra mile.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #147 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I take it you dont play sports too often. Ever hear the saying about how the team who wants it most is the team that takes home the gold? If you dont care about winning, then chances are you dont care about practicing and then you arent going to be better then those who want to win at all costs, because they are willing to work for it.
How the hell did this come up anyway? Sorry for adding to the OT.

What do they do with the gold?

I don't like a sport that requires practice. Been there done that. Thousands of hours wasted. I improve the skill faster without practicing, all I need to do is decide how the end result will be like and it automatically happens when I sleep. My unconscious mind is doing all the practice for me. Suddenly I'm better at things when I didn't practice it for a year, how can that be explained? I have video. Never done that before, suddenly it comes to me.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #148 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Completely, utterly, 100% false. Ever heard of something called wrestling? The only way to be successful is to push your body to its natural limits and beyond. If youre neutral, you will be able to do well, but never truly excel. You have to have a goal, a passion for winning to be able to truly be the best.
Another example: Did you see the Italian team standing around going "ho, hum, doesnt matter if we win or we lose."? No, you saw them struggling, fighting to win, and guess what? They beat the teams who didnt care enough, didnt work hard enough, didnt put in the effort, and (while i hate to be cliche), were the ones who didnt go the extra mile.

You can take your body to the limit without caring about winning, passion of winning just forces you to do it if you can't do it by yourself. When you are forced to do something it unlocks power you didn't know you had.

If you don't do it extreme then what is the point? You can't go to the extreme if you care about winning because you waste time preparing for competitions instead of improving your skills. Here is old article I found.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #149 of 365
I didn't practice for a year, then I played against double Swedish champion and I shocked him good because he couldn't believe his eyes, he felt like sissy girl and didn't say anything for hours afterwards, he has big trophy there on display and must have felt he didn't deserve it... That is also something I "enjoy" besides cat taking a dump in children's sand box.
That was 8 months ago, I'm going to do it again after a few months and see if I enjoy it again. I like to prove things people don't believe. First I build it up good and then BAM unexpected proof and people get shocked and get heart attack...does this make me evil?

I also want to shock James Randi with my Valhalla power cables, that is something I would enjoy. But first I wait until he boosts up prize to 10 million, then I hustle him good.

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #150 of 365
Let's see:

Wayne Gretzy practiced
Michael Jordan practiced
Tiger Woods practices
Rickson Gracie practices
Andre Segovia practiced
Mozart practiced
etc....

But Patrick doesn't have to.
rolleyes.gif
- Maybe he just needs more burn in and to recable himself with a $10K wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back